Crazy: American Airlines Announces 3 New Routes From Boston & Starts A Bloodbath

Pretty crazy…

American Airlines will launch nonstop service from Boston to Raleigh/Durham, Indianapolis, and Wilmington

American Airlines literally started a bloodbath with Delta and JetBlue.

Boston to Raleigh Durham (RDU)

• This route will start FIVE TIMES DAILY
  • Operated with the Embraer E-175
  • Set to begin in May

This is crazy because Delta, Frontier, JetBlue, AND Spirit all serve the route.

In May:

• Delta 6x daily
  • JetBlue 6x daily
  • Spirit 1x daily (Update: Spirit cut the route)
  • Frontier 1x daily

With American’s five extra daily flights there will be nineteen daily flights between Boston and Raleigh/Durham.

Additionally, American will launch Boston to Indianapolis twice a day (one daily on Saturday) and Boston to Wilmington as Saturday-only service, all on the E-175.

American has significantly grown its Boston presence by a ton in the past few months by adding:

• London Heathrow
  • Grand Cayman
  • Nassau
  • Key West
  • Austin

I wouldn’t be surprised to see American add more routes from Boston such as SFO, BNA, STL, HHH, CDG, and more,

19 Likes

Holy! Thats a flight every 1-2 hours, Insane!

3 Likes

That’s a lot of flights

Competition never hurt anyone. Just goes to show that the Us economy is also doing well

3 Likes

It’s going down in Boston! I’ve heard some rumors that Delta is going to expand massively at Miami to counter the moves

6 Likes

Wow I would hope American start routes to Buffalo

1 Like

I really want Delta to expand in DC, but it might not be possible…

1 Like

Guess who’s happy

1 Like

When I first read the title, I thought it was a bloodbath with people. Glad it’s not!

A little competition never hurt anyone.

1 Like

Guess who’s not happy that MHT or PSM isn’t getting service?

I’m glad Boston is getting all the attention, they’re growing a lot, but I think other places like Manchester could get some new service to places similar to those being served in Boston

Not as an act of revenge. They announced that a little while back before AA announced three routes. I’m interested to see what DL will do down there

DL is actually going the other way in DCA. They’ve cut a bunch of routes as they want to make LGA a what they wanted DCA to be. AA has a pretty good grasp of DCA, and will be focusing a lot on it in the future from what I’ve heard. I agree that DL will most likely not grow there

1 Like

This past weekend Delta actually loaded in a few MIA increases.

DL DTW-MIA APR 2>3[2] MAY 2>3[2] JUN 2>3[2] JUL 2>3[1.8] AUG 2>3[1.9] SEP 2>3[1.9] OCT 2>3[1.8]
DL LGA-MIA SEP 4>5[4] OCT 4>5[4]
DL MIA-MSP APR 2>3[2] MAY 2>3[1.9] JUN 2>3[2.0] JUL 2>3[1.8] AUG 2>3[1.8] SEP 2>3[1.6] OCT 2>3[1.7]

Basically DTW goes 3 daily, up from 2 daily from previous year.
LGA increases to 5 daily, up from 4 daily from previous year.
MSP goes 3 daily, up from 2 daily the previous year.

2 Likes

Another update. Spirit has cut Boston to Raleigh/Durham beginning in May.

1 Like

the number of flights on a route have no correlation to the health of the US economy.

More routes =more money into the economy which increases the US economy 😊

2 Likes

Also more routes means airlines think more consumers have more money to spend on them, and the airlines are usually pretty good at getting these things right. Sure it may be a stretch to say a few new American Airlines routes means the economy is doing well overall, but there certainly not disconnected…

1 Like

I would love for AA to add BOS-SJC to directly compete with JetBlue and also compete with Delta at their hub and focus city

1 Like

This is pretty entertaining to watch American and Delta at each other’s necks.

1 Like

Lol, routesonline kinda screwed up a few days ago and had a post saying “EL AL expands American Airlines codeshare” and BOS-SJC operated by American was listed on there.

But they fixed it a few hours later as it was supposed to be written as operated by JetBlue.

Seriously though, wouldn’t be too surprising to see the route on American.

But JetBlue and Delta are significantly better than American ( in my opinion). I flew Chicago to San Jose on American 737 last year. Pretty subpar experience. Delta was better. (SJC-JFK).