Crashing iPad

Hello, I have an iPad operating the latest iOS update. Since last November I have been experiencing a problem that is driving me insane. The problem is becoming worse now and I have tried everything I have had suggested to no avail.

I start a flight and all seems OK and then the iPad crashes. It goes off and restarts agin from the switch on startup screen. I have tried emptying the cache, deleting the app and re downloading, resetting the iPad and it still happens. It can happen within a minute or several minutes. Sometimes in flight for some time then it occurs. Does anyone have any suggestions that I can try? Any help gratefully accepted.

1 Like

This usually means that the OS is struggling for resources. You can lower your graphics settings and see if that helps.

In addition you may want to review the tips on the Infinite Flight site. Performance | Infinite Flight

1 Like

Which iPad do you have - include the generation number/year it was released.

1 Like

Hi it is an iPad Pro 12.9inch. Not sure what generation. Model No is ML0Q2B/A. I also have the serial No

Thanks
Andrew

I see that Chris’s comment is the solution did that fix your issue?

If it is still a issue what year was the device made?

I am not sure why my iOS would struggle as the iPad is not near its capacity.

Please forgive me if my answers don’t make sense as I am not 100% techno savvy. I will try his suggestion but it may take a bit to see if it resolves.

Thank you

How much storage do you have on the device?

128GB is the capacity

Does you ipad get too warm? If so, it could restart because of that.

If your iPad is on the older side, it may not have enough RAM to run IF properly, and the system may crash since the OS and running apps dont have enough resources to go around.

Another thing, that’s less likely, is that all devices with out a spinning hard drive rely on some form of flash storage. The individual bits of flash storage can only be erased so many times before it wont let you, restricting the ability to write to that bit of the storage. IF could try to write part of a replay file and it wouldn’t be able to. This is unlikely since I imagine there’s software to use another bit instead of a dead one.

Hi, I can understand what you mean, However this is a new development. I have run IF for over five years with no issues. I can’t think of anything that has happened that changes things!! Stumped 🤷

I see further up that you said it was an iPad Pro. I’ve run IF on my IPad Pro from about that same age with out issue. I don’t think there should be any large issues with the device itself.

Thanks Auden, will just have to keep on eliminating things

Aidan, apologies for iPad changing the spelling of your name😳

1 Like

If worst comes to worst, you could factory reset the thing, or restore from a backup from before you updated the system. But there’s no guarantee that’ll actually work, or you have things on there you can’t get off.

How much storage is currently being used on the device? Also do you have 3rd party applications open while running the sim?

I have 93 GB left of 128. Just tried a flight Edinburgh to East Midlands with no issues. Will look into the third party thing as well though. Really appreciate all the advice Thank you

Your iPad (Pro) was released in 2015, and has the Apple A9X chip. A rough estimate is its performance is about 24% better than the iPhone 6S A9 chip. Its roughly half the power of this year’s iPhone 12 A14.

Its a pretty old chip with very limited power, so toning down the graphics could help its performance drastically.

So the first thing I can recommend is to Delete any unused apps or any large photos or videos on your iPad. I would also try uninstalling the app then reinstalling. That second method will delete all of your replays but your account will all stay the same. I’ve had to do this before. The last thing I can recommend is to Go to settings in your iPad and look at your storage so you an find out what apps and other things along these lines need to be deleted. I’ve had this crashing before and its not always the OS Fault.

Hope you get this fixed!!!

Hi There
Thank you for this info, I really appreciate this. I think a new pad is in order here. It’s amazing the speed at which chips evolve.

Thanks again buddy
Andrew

1 Like

Hi There
Thank you for this info, I really appreciate this. I think a new pad is in order here. It’s amazing the speed at which chips evolve.

Thanks again buddy
Andrew
[/quote]