Could I ever feel wake turbulence?

Hey guys!

Quick random question:

If I stood at the right spot near a runway (not on it, lol), could I feel the wake turbulence after a heavy aircraft takes off? Thanks!

Keep Flying,
—Alaska096

1 Like

Most likely not. You may get forcefully pushed back from jet blast, however.

2 Likes

That just sounds awesome. Thanks!

1 Like

Ya, definitely, I remember all the time at Gravely point how you can feel the air moving around a lot (which may be in part jet blast, but most likely not, that travels pretty straight back, the vortices drop down), and you can see the trees whirl around too, and there is this kind of whistling noise, not sure if it’s the trees, or the airflow, but combined with a 200ft aircraft it makes for a pretty awesome experience. They have to be really low, like really low.

6 Likes

If you’re flying and a big aircraft or helicopter flies over you yes you can

2 Likes

The answer is yes. At the right spot you will get jet blasted. Been there done that.

1 Like

Wake turbulence is exactly what it sounds like. It’s a ‘wake’ in the air just as in water behind a boat or ship. If the air around you was static and then moves, you’ll feel it. You don’t have the surface area of a plane, so the effects won’t be similar to that of a plane following the source, but moving air is moving air.

5 Likes

Yes you would be able to. I got jet blasted by a 777 before 😲

3 Likes

I got blasted by some GE90s before. A KLM B777-300ER.

3 Likes

Definitely. On Monday, a CH-47 Chinook visited my squadron and when it departed, it was literally blowing me away. And I was about 200 feet away from it.

1 Like

Yeah cover your ears though jet blasts aren’t loud and hot aswell

I would like to point out that a jet blast (which is what most wrote about) is generated by the engine‘s thrust (e.g. departure footage from Skiathos), while wake turbulence is generated due to the aircraft cutting through the air (simplified explanation).

Wake turbulence would be rather felt with landing aircrafts (I assume), as I read about a house‘s roof being damaged by an overflying aircraft in 2017 (that’s a rare event but still shows that such effects are noticeable).

2 Likes

Yep, and you can feel wake turbulence on an airliner if it flies over at or below about 500ft AGL, for jet blast you have to be more or less right behind the eingens, some places like maho beach are close enough that you can feel it, but most spotting locations are a fair bit away from the runway. The internet says anything further back that 1-200ft wolnt feel anything significant, but wake turbulence drops down from the flight path allowing it to be felt if the aircraft simply passes low overhead…

1 Like

Oh yea, jet blast is possible, there is an airport in Cali that has a fencline people go to.

However, sombody did DIE doing this, she was jet blasted into a wall. Minor details though. Have fun!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.