Correct Use of ‘Stand by’

I have recently been controlling on TS and have experienced many aircraft transmitting “stand by” as their first transmission. They have used it when they are sitting at the gate or when tuned to your frequency. Without any prior contact with ATC.

STANDBY is not to be used as a first transmission.

• If youre sitting at a gate atc does not care til you need to start maneuvering.
  • If you have just tuned in to tower/appr/dep (any frequency for that matter) all you need to advise is your intentions.

Saying standby as an initial transmission does not do anything. Stand by is to be used when ATC has given an instruction/clearance and you need a moment to accept said instruction/clearance.
Also Standby is not to be used to ignore ATC commands and land your airplane. If you dont like having ATC somewhere, just divert.

16 Likes

Unfortunately this is training Server. Theres nothing we can do about this as people don’t really play realistically compared to the ES.

6 Likes

Oh i know. Just trying to pass on some knowledge for those who dont know ! :)

4 Likes

No worries, just saying that even with the knowledge you give, some people still wont play seriously on the TS.

Thanks for the reminder to those who forgot though!

4 Likes

Oh i know very well the ups and downs of TS. Im trying to get on IFATC so i can be on ES ! :)

1 Like

Ok, so I spawn at a gate. ATC says; “say intentions”. I’m building a flight plan, looking at taxiway options, and traffic patterns.
What would be a proper response other than “stand by”?

3 Likes

Don’t say anything. I mean, “stand by” works, but ATC isn’t supposed to contact you immediately after you spawn in. This won’t happen on Expert, so feel free to either send “stand by” or just ignore them.

8 Likes

A good atc would wait for your call. If they ask your intentions then sure, standby works then. But they should wait for your request to push back / taxi.
**sorry didnt realise @TaipeiGuru had already answered you! 👍👍

1 Like

I agree that people use stand by wrong… and to further back Taipei I think the reason people do it is when you join the training server at the gate and ATC thinks they are doing a good job and just clears you to push back or taxi even though you just spawned in.

1 Like

Lol! That would make them terrible ATCs. I great ATC doesnt want to talk to anyone and tries to get airplanes off frequency as fast as possible. Fastest way out of my airspace is the most efficient way ! (My motto at least)

4 Likes

I 100% agree. its just a bad habit people have… makes the sim super unrealistic it should be the ATC telling the plane to standby haha!

2 Likes

The sad part is that they carry this forward onto Expert.

I hear it quite a bit (and they’ve taken away my “transmit important messages only” so now I can’t even respond to them to let them know it’s unnecessary.)

Ignore them. You’ll never be asked for intentions like that on Expert so in preparation just get used to waiting until you’re ready for pushback before saying anything.

6 Likes

Unfortunately people on TS have gotten to the point where they don’t know what they’re doing and it’s gotten so bad to the point that some people think that line up and wait rwy xx means hold short. This and people who don’t follow instructions are the reasons why I rarely control on TS because I always ending up rage quitting with anger at the end of every session.

3 Likes

This is very good information for all pilot on IF that don’t know how to use that command. Very useful topic 🤙🏻👍🏻

1 Like

Unfortunately even ES has fallen into the same hole as TS

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.