Correct trim usage

I have flown in IF for a long time, but I have not really used trim before the last update. I have figured that it helps upon take off. However, I wonder if you also use trim for landing and if so how much?

1 Like

I use 20% through out

Haha yessir

Ok so u would of put positive trim there to make the line disappear?

I would love to know how to disengages A/P smoothly i always usually pitch down or up when i do but also the what u said about the trim was useful thanks

Yea to my knowledge if the purple line is below centre it is indicating the stick being pulled back to maintain current attitude so in my picture I would add positive trim to remove the line so that autopilot isn’t having to hold back pressure to maintain stable flight

2 Likes

If trim is set properly and you calibrate controls before dis-engaging Autopilot it should be fairly smooth

Wait thats the purpose of calibrate??? I always press calibrate before i leave a flight thinking it saves or something

1 Like

Very helpful thank you

1 Like

Calibrate sets your controls to a neutral position hold the device comfortably then hit calibrate and that will be the centre point of your controlls
And no problem always happy to help where I can🙂👍

This was actually so helpful i went in solo u saved me with this one THANKS SO MUCH

1 Like

No stress glad I could be helpfull

1 Like

Iths still only visual It hink. Doens’t affect fuel or anything. Otherwise they would need to add auto trim.

1 Like

I adjust my trim for takeoff, climb out, cruise, descent and landing. During cruise utilizing the correct trim setting can help with fuel; although it’s minimal there is a difference if you were to have the trim at 0% compared to +50%, in this example I’m talking about the 787 family of aircraft.

@DeerCrusher put together a nice tutorial a few years ago explaining this in detail:

1 Like

Thank you for this!

There is one reason in addition: autopilot correct the glideslope to its optimal position again and again while approaching all the way down to the runway. So your plane moves up and down for that reason and it also adjusts throttle. So when disengaging AP, check the calibration as described. Check the position of glideslope (between the two bars on the runway) and Check if throttle is more or less steady. Et voila.

This is incorrect. Trim is implemented as offset in elevator input.

Say what you will, the evidence is right in the link that I provided. Not really sure why you are making this a debate but I’m not surprised based on your previous responses to my posts.

2 Likes

Because I’ve done fuel testing for quite a few aircraft myself, and I have never seen any noticable difference between -100, 0 and 100 trim, not even on the 777 which has trim animation.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.