Correct steps for takeoff and after-takeoff

In general:

Step 1: Accelerate aircraft from stationary to very fast, takeoff and leave runway with 15 degrees angle of attack for maximum lift.

Step 2: Maintain airspeed by changing angle of attack, keeping the throttle still.

Step 3: Once pass 1,500ft, retard throttle a little to prolong engine life, decrease angle of attack and let airspeed increase gradually.

Step 4: Once airspeed has reached a certain level, retract flaps. (I don’t know how many kts, can someone tell me?)

Last step: Once airspeed is fast enough, retract flaps fully and engage autopilot, keeping 250 kts once pass 10,000ft.

Are these the correct steps?

5 Likes

Yea, you got most of it right, but the 15* for the angle of attack number may vary for aircraft, along with the MD11 where you keep flaps 1* until 10,000. If anyone else might have some I’m not aware of feel free to correct me.

1 Like

You got the Idea and the post above highlights the point about pitch. To be pedantic, acceleration altitude is typically 1000ft AGL.

Happy Flying

One technique will not work on all aircraft, don’t use max thrust on takeoff and don’t set your speed to 250, use 240 in case of any sudden issues which cause you to overspeed, it protects you more against violations.

3 Likes

Good little summary, with a few good comments above here. Obviously much depends on the aircraft.

For inspiration check out this tutorial

4 Likes

In general, these are the steps for takeoff and after-takeoff.

I don’t know if I’m right or not but don’t you set autopilot once you reach 500 feet because I’ve seen it somewhere?

Usually on the 737 the 180 knt us full flaps up

In commercial jets, all the Vspeeds (from Rotation to Flap retraction) vary (drastically) by weight.
Also you should’ve said 15 degrees of pitch not angle of attack, angle of attack means something different.
This is how I do things.

Set Takeoff thrust (about 90% N1), after Vr i will immediately accelerate to Vr+10/20 knots (IRL its V2+10/20)
and i will adjust my pitch to maintain that speed.
After I reach thrust reduction altitude (around 800-1500ft AGL for most airlines/airports) i reduce my thrust to about 80% N1 (I don’t touch my throttles after that until i reach cruising altitude, i’ll use my pitch to accelerate and decelerate) and climb to 3000 ft AGL and that’s where i reach the acceleration altitude. Then I reduce my pitch and accelerate while incrementally retracting my flaps.

As you can see the exact altitude and speed when things happen varies by airline/aircraft/airport but the sequence is the same most of the tame

2 Likes

The term angle of pitch stays within IF as we all takeoff with reference to the HUD screen but in the real world the angle between the chord of the wing and the relative airflow is the angle of attack.

Angle of pitch on the other hand is the angle of the plane’s nose relative to the horizon.

Heres how the 737-700 should be done.
ACTUAL TAKEOFF: https://photos.app.goo.gl/jkXeLz4tfBXVDWRs5
OUTSIDE VIEW ON TAKEOFF:https://photos.app.goo.gl/AKZn1ozpc3QhCEbZ7

1 Like

Nice! Did you do the takeoff by yourself?

Yep. Completely manual. I fly it manual(except fir nav cause of no working instruments) to 10000ft.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.