Correct procedure for using lights on aircraft

Hi all.
I know that strobe lights should be turned on when entering an active runway, but could someone let me know the correct procedures all round please? I.e distance away or altitude when to turn off/on landing lights and after you land do you keep strobe on until parking or turn them off when leaving the runway?

3 Likes

Turn strobes off when exiting runway, turn them back on when crossing a runway if needed. Landing lights come off after 10,000 feet, and vice versa.

5 Likes

Great, thanks for the help.

1 Like

Also, but not always, in real life aircraft sometimes turn off strobes during cruise when no aircraft are around by a long distance. Usually it’s done when in a haze layer at night (in cruise) to reduce strobe light reflections. But in Infinite Flight, you might as well always leave them on in cruise.

3 Likes

Nav lights are always on unless the plane is completely dormant. (Locked, and done for the day) beacon lights are on if the engines are on. Landing lights and strobes come on when ever you are on a runway. Hope this helps. πŸ€—

2 Likes

All really helpful, thanks v much

1 Like

This should help you outπŸ‘‡

2 Likes

Thanks for that. I do this already but for clearing up any confusion. Hope it helps @JAir

2 Likes

Navigation lights:

• On some aircraft they are on as soon as electrical power is connected to the aircraft, the switch has a position steady on, like on the 737. On the 747 you have a ON or OFF position. The rule says β€œ during sunset and sunrise β€œ , however on commercial aircraft they should be on all the time when the aircraft is β€œ in operation β€œ.

Landing lights, turn them on:

• During takeoff, which means either after takeoff clearance has been received or when beginning takeoff roll
  • When operating below 10,000’, day or night, especially when operating within 10 miles of any airport, or in conditions of reduced visibility and in areas where flocks of birds may be expected like in coastal areas, lake areas, around refuse dumps and so on…

Rotating beacons, turn them on:

• Any time the aircraft engines are in operation

Prior to commencing taxi, turn on:
Taxi lights, wing lights, position, anti-collision, and logo lights (if equipped)

• To signal intent to other pilots, consider turning on the taxi light when the aircraft is moving or intending to move on the ground, and turning it off when stopped or yielding to other ground traffic
  • Strobe lights should not be illuminated during taxi if they will adversely affect the vision of other pilots or ground personnel
  • At the discretion of the pilot-in-command, all exterior lights should be illuminated when taxiing on or across any runway
    • This increases the conspicuousness of the aircraft to controllers and other pilots approaching to land, taxiing, or crossing the runway
    • Pilots should comply with any equipment operating limitations and consider the effects of landing and strobe lights on other aircraft in their vicinity
  • When entering the departure runway for takeoff or to β€œline up and wait,” all lights, except for landing lights, should be illuminated to make the aircraft conspicuous to ATC and other aircraft on approach
    • Landing lights should be turned on when takeoff clearance is received or when commencing takeoff roll at an airport without an operating control tower

However, in real the aircraft has many more lights, see below an example from the 747-400, which are very important for flying in the night:
The wing lights, very helpful to look for ice accumulation on the leading edge or the engine inlet,
The logo lights, not just for advertisement of your airline on ground but also a MEL item during night flight, as the big area of the illuminated vert. stabilizer is a very good visual reference of your plane for other aircraft around you in flight and on ground
The runway turnoff lights, like the cornering lights in a car, to illuminate the area forward and left/ right of your aircraft, helpful during turns or just to make out any kind of animal that would like to cross your way in the worst moment imaginable …

3 Likes

Wow that’s immense, all very helpful thanks guys for all the replies. Nice to keep it real as real as poss in IF!
I was only turning on landing lights when on approach and taxiing with strobes on to parking after exiting the runway… so I guess there goes my pilots licence πŸ˜‚

2 Likes

I’m not sure if it has been noted yet but FAA regulations also state to use strobes in place of beacon lighting if beacon lighting is not present on the aircraft (Ex: TBM)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.