Copa Airlines 737-800 (Updated Letter Font and Split Scimitars)

It’s been more than 70 years since Copa Airlines started flying. Now one of the leading airlines in Latin America, Copa is committed to connect Panama with the rest of the Americas, bringing people together and consolidating Panama as an important connection hub.

There’s a lot I haven’t mentioned about this world class airline, from how they started to what they’re now:

(Translation required)

The Copa Airlines livery currently in Infinite Flight is outdated. The missing features are:

• New CopaAirlines logo typography.
  • Split scimitar winglets.
  • Star Alliance logo (on both sides between the cockpit windows and the front doors).

#UpdateTheCopaLivery

8 Likes

VOTED !
It’s a great request, it’s true that it would be nice to see this livery on this plane !

3 Likes

My last vote goes for Copa Airlines.
I would like to see this livery reworked

2 Likes

Copa Airlines has had years of success and with high levels of revenue (before the pandemic), but who’s the person behind the management of the airline?

Meet Pedro Heilbron, the CEO and president of Copa Airlines. Since taking office in 1988, Mr. Heilbron has overseen many of the changes and decisions that made Copa Airlines a highly respected carrier: new state-of-the-art airplanes, destinations across the continent targeting underserved markets, implementing efficient business models, consolidating alliances with other carriers and airline alliances, and the listing of the company at the NYSE.

Now in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic, Pedro Heilbron has been actively doing all what he can to keep the company afloat and ensure safety onboard more than ever.

The Copa Airlines livery currently in Infinite Flight is outdated. The missing features are:

• Star Alliance logo (on both sides between the cockpit windows and the front doors).

#UpdateTheCopaLivery

5 Likes

Is it weird that if you remove the letters and tail art, it’s the same livery as United airlines!!!😲😲😲😲

1 Like

If you were to read the story about Copa Airlines, you’d probably understand why they look similar. A little bit of research sometimes helps. :)

2 Likes

Copa Airlines’ livery evolved throughout their history, and so did their logo. From the original “Copa Panama” to the current name “Copa Airlines,” the airline has carried the flag of Panama around the continent.

Here are the livery styles and their colors since their foundation:

• Vuele Copa - (1961–1965)

source

• Copa Panama (Original) - Red and orange cheatline with white fuselage (1965–1971)

• Copa Panama (1st upgrade) - Red and orange cheatline with white fuselage (1971–1980)

source

• Copa Panama (2nd upgrade) - Red and orange cheatline with white fuselage (1980–1990)

source

• Copa “Billboard Style” - Red and yellow cheatline with white fuselage, and “Copa” logo in the front part of the widebody and tail. (1990–1999)

source

• Copa Airlines - white and gray fuselage, with gold cheatline in the middle, and the well-known globe logo. This livery was adopted after the alliance with Continental Airlines in 1998. (1999–2012)

source

But now, the current livery has the following characteristics, a few upgrades from the original 1999 livery that are missing in Infinite Flight:

• Split scimitar winglets (now becoming the standard winglet of their 737-800s)

#UpdateTheCopaLivery

4 Likes

Shouldn’t that be 2nd?

Just like the Boeing 737, the Embraer 190 was also an airplane that enabled Copa Airlines to reached more markets that weren’t viable with the 737. The E190 was suited for cities that at that time didn’t have a lot of passenger traffic to/from Panama. But Copa Airlines was somewhat hesitant in acquiring the E190 at the beginning, the CEO recognized there were factors that hold them up, but finally in 2005, Copa Airlines received their first Embraer 190, becoming thus the first Latin American customer of the airplane.

The E190 was a valuable member of their fleet, but the retirement of the jet started after 2015, eventually all remaining aircraft were withdrawn from the fleet last year due to Covid-19. Copa Airlines sold the remaining airplanes to Alliance Airlines from Australia.

The Copa Airlines livery in the Embraer 190 may be now historic, but it’s still present in the Boeing 737-800, their now main airplane of the fleet, and the livery added in Infinite Flight back in 2014 with the 737 rework is outdated and needs its own “rework” too. Below the missing features:

• New CopaAirlines logo typography (introduced in 2012).
  • Split scimitar winglets (now becoming the standard winglet of their 737-800s).

#UpdateTheCopaLivery

2 Likes

I gotta be honest, as small as the changes are, I’m just impressed by your dedication and that is the reason I’ll be voting!

3 Likes

Like everyone else, I want my favorite livery to be up to date down to the smallest detail. :) The hope of having the devs’ attention to this topic is what’s giving me motivation to continue my campaign until the changes are made!

4 Likes

This livery is just so wonderful with split scimitar winglets. Copa livery deserve to be updated 🙌

1 Like

Wasted my last vote on this just for @brunocr98 😉

1 Like

In a previous post, I talked about the benefits that Copa Airlines offers to passengers as a member of Star Alliance, but how the airline joined them?

In 2007, Copa Airlines joined Skyteam as an associated member, thanks to the alliance with Continental Airlines, which was a full member at that time.

source

However, their stay didn’t last very long. During an ALTA summit in 2008 at Cancún, Copa Airlines’ executives revealed that the airline was in talks with the Star Alliance leadership, discussing about the possibility of joining them.

In 2009, Copa Airlines announced their withdrawal from Skyteam on October 24, they exited the same day as Continental Airlines, who was already in preparations to join Star Alliance shortly after on October 27. In 2010, Copa Airlines announced that the airline would join Star Alliance by mid-2012, joining their old partner Continental which was later acquired by United Airlines.

Everything went as planned, and Copa Airlines joined Star Alliance on June 2012

source

The Copa Airlines livery currently in Infinite Flight is outdated and needs a rework. The missing features are:

#UpdateTheCopaLivery

4 Likes

An old livery makes a return to Infinite Flight, another one that will make it to the next update. Could the livery of Panama’s main airline be fixed up and updated for Update 21.1?

#UpdateTheCopaLivery

5 Likes

This is the type of question we all ask ourselves unfortunately…

1 Like

I imagine the party you will have when the Devs respond to that request. I hope we can all see that on IF. :)

3 Likes

Copa Airlines wasn’t the only airline of Panama, in fact there were other airlines that wanted their share in the market, but only one carrier put up fierce competition: Air Panama International. Founded in the late 1960s thanks to a joint venture between the Panamanian government and the Spanish airline Iberia, AP International was also a significant airline and offered destinations that Copa didn’t flew at that time like Mexico City, New York, Caracas and Los Angeles.

But things changed during the 1980s: Iberia sold their actions to the Panamanian government, thus becoming a public company. The military dictatorship put Panama in a very difficult position, plagued with corruption, state repression and economic stagnation, and being a state-owned airline, the company suffered terribly in financial losses while Copa, a private company, continued to prosper as hard as they could.

The situation got worse with Operation Just Cause, when the US invaded Panama to take down Noriega’s dictatorship, Air Panama International’s aircraft were damaged during the fight and all operations were halted. The next year, Air Panama International declared bankruptcy and went out of business while Copa Airlines continued to grow and become the nation’s flag carrier. Eventually in 2005, a small charter airline bought the Air Panama brand and started operating under the same name.

source

The Copa Airlines livery currently in Infinite Flight is outdated and needs a rework. The missing features are:

#UpdateTheCopaLivery

4 Likes

It’s been almost 2 months since I started actively bumping this topic, campaigning for the update of this livery, and since then it has received a lot of support and more people joined me on the effort, which I’m immensely grateful about. I have repeatedly highlighted the issues this livery has in comparison with a real Copa 737-800. Below, I’m illustrating the things I have been reporting on every post I made before (plus a new thing I just noticed).

This is how the Copa livery looks in Infinite Flight look now:

And this is how a Copa 737-800 looks like now:

HP-1522CMP is their oldest airplane in the fleet, swapping the registration for HP-1836CMP for example, which is their first 737-800 with split scimitar winglets is also very appreciated. Overall, these are small changes, but for someone who loves and supports Copa Airlines, a rework of this livery will be more than welcomed.

#UpdateTheCopaLivery

6 Likes

the updated one is much better, I really like to fly from Copa to Brazil during the day, I really hope this will be updated

2 Likes