Convincing the Colorado National Guard to Flyover my Town!

Hello everyone!
On Friday May 15th at around 11:27AM, two F-16s blasted through the town of Glenwood Springs to thank local healthcare workers! This flyover was one of the coolest things I have ever seen in a town of only 10,000 people. So how did I get the Colorado National Guard to flyover Glenwood? Well, by simply asking! When the 140th wing announced the flyover two days before they planned to fly between the towns of Kremmling and Rifle as part of the flyover. However, the team was not originally supposed to flyover Glenwood. Rather, to get to Rifle, the planes’ shortest route took them pretty close to the town. So I took to Instagram and simply commented (a couple times since there was some confusion) and asked if they could include the local hospital in the route. Surprisingly, they said they would include Glenwood Springs which was a HUGE shock considering I wasn’t expecting them to respond in the first place. With an exciting event ahead, I skipped a class (with permission and no grade reduction) and mountain biked up the side of a mountain to get some shots! I must say, I was still skeptical that they would flyover so it took me off guard when two F-16s completed the flyover! This was one of the coolest moments I have experienced especially during these troubling times. Now enough of me talking, here are some photos!

All photos were taken with my Canon Rebel T6 (75-300mm lens)

Other Spotting Topics

Thank You Healthcare Workers! | Special Helicopter Spotting

Private Jets Galore | Spotting @KASE 3/7/20 PART 2

Private Jets Galore | Spotting @KASE 3/7/20 PART 1

On the Hillside | Spotting @KEGE 2/29/20

A Day at Sky Harbor | Spotting @KPHX 2/13/20

Busy Winter Day | Spotting @KEGE 12/21/19

Spotting @KGWS 10/19/19 EAA Rally

Be sure to check out my Instagram! You can view more photos taken by me here: 👇

Thank you for viewing my photos! If you have any comments, feedback, or suggestions, I would love to hear them! Also, comment your favorite below! Stay safe and healthy everyone!

40 Likes

Dang, that are some nice shots!
Good job convincing them

1 Like

What’s the difference between the National Gaurd and the Air Force? Nice photos!

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think the Air Force works for the country and the National Guard works for the State.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Oh. So the national gaurd is like a reserve air force?

I am not fully sure, I just googled it. 😂 You’ll have to ask someone else to confirm.

1 Like

Oh ok, sounds cool, don’t have anything like that here

1 Like

Damn. Nice pics. I tried to get some from one of the empty lots in Silt but by the time I had seen them they were already too far away to get a clean shot.

1 Like

Yeah they were going very fast!

1 Like

It was pretty cool though. From my spot they looked fairly low over I-70.

1 Like

I also live in Colorado and I enjoyed this amazing event too!

1 Like

Well, I guess it worked, lucky you!

2 Likes

Oh I forgot to ask if they went over the Rifle Airport or if you knew?

The power of simply asking, and proof that there’s good in this world. Flying by your local hospital even though it wasn’t in the original flight? That’s uncalled for! It’s cool to see you convinced them to fly over, and you also got some great photos of the flyover!

2 Likes

They did go over the airport. I think they banked over it to be able to line up for the fly by of the hospital.

1 Like

wow that’s awesome! you did a lot of good

1 Like

Cool shots! It nice that they flew over you, glad it worked out!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.