Controllers, Complacency and General Aviation!

I routinely fly General Aviation Aircraft (GA) on the Playground circuit. First Launch is always out of a Class D/E airport within the outer ring of a Class B. I always File a most direct route between the D/E over the B looking for a touch & go warmup proceeding a preplanned series of mixed type and server useage. It seems B Towers because of there heavy Trash Hauler flow handle everything in the airspace as a mover. Don’t know for sure but on a high tempo day my GA is routinely handled like a heavy hauler. Examples: Requested “Transitions”, get a FL-90 pass, (no menu option for a lower alt, Go Around), Placed in the middle of a pack doing 150 < > on approach, my approach speed in a 172 is 95< > (overrun immenent, Go Around), Vectored to the long crowded Active when a Short empty Alternate is available (Suffer the long Q or a Go Around). I know you guys in the ATC nodes are bz’y, you do good work, but, please give us GA guys a little sunshine! If the Board shows a GA aircraft in or approaching the groove or requesting Transition PLEASE remember, we don’t got no stinking O2 and we are “Slow”!
“Please Handle with Care”, Thanks, Max Sends.

4 Likes

What!!!💅💅💅😄

GGuy- Bottom line; if its slow and not oxygen equipped don’t route it like a commercial people mover. On a Transition keep them just above pattern height as depicted on the Chart < 2600ft. Put them on a short alternate runway if available for both Take off & landing. My recommendation are situation dependent of course. They do make for an orderly and efficient flow rate.

2 Likes

After though: GMan; Here’s today’s example for the post: Out of London City (EGKD) this AM in a Super D (Call sign: RedRum7) bound for White Watham (EGLM) a grass strip within Heathrow’s (EGLM) controlled airspace. The Super D cruises at 90kt and on a good day with a tail wind maxes out at < > 120kt straight and level. The D has a big wing, no Autopilot and is like a big kite in windy conditions on the ground and aloft. Filed a one straight leg 25 mi Plan dissecting Heathrow’s direct Watham. At 10 miles I contacted Heathrow’s Tower and requested a Transition. Heathrow approved a FL90 pass thru. Not oxygen equipped and knowing it would take time and energy to reach 9000, I called “correction” ( the only option on the Tower Menu, Alt Chg not available). Heathrow came back and repeated the 9000 footer. I always follow the rules and never enter Class “B” without authority. What to do, fly through without authority, challenged all the way (if on the Advanced a Ghosting). Common sense and good airmanship prevailed, Called “Going Around”. Flew Heathrow’s outer ring perimeter & added 20/20 minutes/miles to a short hop. Call me stupid, or it’s just a game. Not for me it’s a “learning experience” we all need one from time to time. I’ don’t sit and sulk, I reach out. Hope this clears up the “What”!!!

1 Like

Controller knew what aircraft you were flying?

If he did, may have been a new one not familiar with the aircraft in IF or aircraft in general?

Best, Boeing707

1 Like

Yeah, it’s pretty difficult to understand his messages…

Right, because overflying LHR in a slow, small aircraft is going to go over well with LHR tower in real life. Stay clear.

Ok, he knew, was he trying to give me hypoxia? Ok, he did’t know, Let my comment be a lesson learned. Pass it on.

(Bottom line; if its slow and not oxygen equipped don’t route it like a commercial people mover. On a Transition keep them just above pattern height as depicted on the Chart < 2600ft. Put them on a short alternate runway if available for both Take off & landing. My recommendation are situation dependent of course. They do make for an orderly and efficient flow rate.)

who lov’s ya baby, Max Sends to 2 of the best, warm regards…

Why are you even in LHR airspace in the first place? They don’t need a small prop messing up their patterns. And 9000 feet won’t asphyxiate you. Unpressurized aircraft is good for at least FL100.

1 Like

So then what are they supposed to give you if they don’t give you a transition altitude, they just can’t clear airspace for one aircraft, they aren’t God you know.

Your point being? Does it not mess up all the arrival patterns? And explain the whole police agency and straight lines thing, I am afraid it was incoherent.

How about a “Go Round” “Pattern Full”. Or just plan “unable”. if that’s all you have in the script or add a new menu item.

Um, no need. A good airman should know that they shouldn’t fly a small plane in congested airspace filled with large commercial aircraft. My words saying that you are messing up the pattern still stands, a good airman should not be getting in everyone’s way. They are trying to make money too. Yes, it might cost you another 10 pounds of fuel to divert, but when you mess up an entire LHR traffic pattern, the missed connections and the fuel burned can add up to tens of millions of dollars.

Round and around? I haven’t repeated anything. This is quite amusing actually. :smiley:

1 Like

He should’ve sent you completely out of the metro area.

Not the best idea to flying a teeny Decathlon through LHR 😁 747 roars by.

Best, Boeing707

While he could’ve taken a less disruptive route, it’s not like any plane is going to collide with his Decathlon at 5,000 ft. or anything. Besides the trolls and we can ignore them.

And when cruising at 90 knots, it is preferable to take the most direct route. Practically a snail 😁.

Best, Boeing707

If he flee directly over LHR, then it wouldn’t disrupt arrival plans. Sure ATC could’ve snuck him in between two planes if they were sending planes in via a circuit around the airport.

Best, Boeing707

1 Like

Ah another classic IF argument…

You get into a lot of arguments @MustangMax 😂

Best, Boeing707

Not intentionally Boeing. Opinions are like A&& Holes they need to be aired out from time to time. I just call them the way I see them. I don’t sit and stew I just take a shoot… Some time I get a 10 sometimes I get a big goose egg. I chalk this one up to a “Failure to communicate” Cool Hand… Regards to both you and Dan. Max

@Maxmustang The debate is not about…

Agreed with not intentionally-No one likes an argument-except for trolls.

Just a heads up… Remember when AviationJunkie got POd because you called him “Junk”? Might not want to call Danman “The Big D” for similar reasons 😂.

Best, Boeing707

1 Like