Controller Support Bugs

• Device
  • Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet: SGP511
  • Sony Dualshock 4: CUH-ZCT1U
  • Connected via Bluetooth, native support provided by Sony.
  • Operating System
  • Android Lollipop 5.1.1, stock Sony ROM.
  • Infinite Flight version
  • 15.10.3.31784, via Google Play

Bugs
Sometimes, any customised bindings are lost if you do not go flying and simply close the app. To Reproduce:

1. Connect controller to device (if necessary)
  2. Open Infinite Flight, bind a control (I bound yaw axis to trigger)
  3. Close Infinite Flight via multitasking menu
  4. Open Infinite Flight again, notice the default control binding has been applied and the yaw binding has disappeared.

EPSXE is one example of an android application that implements detailed re-binding almost faultlessly.

Sometimes when a flight is loaded (possibly after controls are rebound), the “unresponsive application” alert will be displayed erroneously. I can’t tell you how to reproduce this because, to be honest, doing this properly has taken much more time than I would’ve liked and I can’t be bothered to isolate the problem

The trigger can be bound as an axis and a button simultaneously. To Reproduce:

2. Open Infinite Flight, bind trigger axis to yaw. then go to commands and bind trigger to brake
  3. Go flying, notice the trigger is actuating the yaw axis and applying the brakes simultaneously.
    (I did test mapping brake to left stick Y, and the pitch axis (default binding) was removed, so this seems to be localised to the triggers, which also suffer other bugs).

When bound as a buttons, the triggers rebind the shoulder button and not the triggers. to boot, the ‘triggers as buttons’ have default references titled ‘gas’ and ‘brake’, which are not affected by re-binding the trigger due to them erroneously re-binding the shoulder buttons. It is therefore possible to make one trigger do 3 things simultaneously, when combined with the above bug. To Reproduce:

2. Open Infinite Flight, go to commands and bind trigger to brake.
  3. Go flying, notice the trigger is decreasing the throttle (default binding) and applying the brakes simultaneously.
  4. Bind trigger axis to yaw, for triple-trouble.

The D-Pad appears to have two separate identities when bound as a button, depending on the function. I can bind one action to “downarrow” and another action to “hat-y” by pressing down on the D-pad. To Reproduce:

2. Open Infinite Flight, go to commands and bind up and down on the D-pad to incremental flaps, and bind up on the D-pad to brake
  3. Flaps will appear to be bound to “uparrow” and “downarrow”, brakes will appear to be bound to “Hat-Y”
  4. Go flying, notice the D-Pad will operate the flaps and the brakes simultaneously.
  5. Bind trigger axis to yaw, for triple-trouble.

When something is bound to “downarrow”, it can be actuated by using the D-Pad or the left stick. To Reproduce:

2. Open Infinite Flight, go to commands and bind down on the d-pad to an elevator trim operation.
  3. Go flying, notice the left stick affects the pitch-axis (default binding) and the elevator trim. The d-pad actuates the elevator trim as normal.

My opinion on things that aren’t bugs, but that I don’t like.
I don’t want “gas” and “brake” because this isn’t a racing game… I don’t even want the triggers separated. I want the unified trigger axis so I can map yaw to the triggers as I do in other sims like FSX, using FSUIPC for example. Because the triggers mechanically represent pedals, hence why they’re labled gas and brake in the first place! This would be possible by providing a list of the axis and letting me select which one I want (YSFlight does this I believe) rather than only providing auto-detection, which will always select the individual trigger axis and not the unified one, and generally provides headaches that a list would overcome.

The sensitivity slider should affect the shape of the axis for the curve, not simply cut it short. Why is deadzone also labled as sensitivity? that is silly. I can figure out what these things do because I have a lot of experience with devices in racing sims and through using track-IR and I think other people who use relativly complicated sims would also be fine messing with the curves… especially through a touch screen interface! If you must use sliders, provide 3:

1. Deadzone (this is what “null zone” is called in literally every other program I’ve used. don’t re-invent the wheel)
  2. Range (this is a more accurate description of what the “sensitivity” slider actually does)
  3. Sensitivity (this changes the shape of the curve. I don’t think I’m clever enough to explain this well, so I suggest you look at how Rise of Flight implements this)

P.S. I did not enjoy using this markup editor to submit my post all. The auto-formatting was constantly interfering with my bullet points and lists. When I highlight a selection and press the numbered list, it shouldn’t convert every bullet-point in the text-area to a numbered list… I ended up writing this in notepad++ and copying it back into the window. 2/10.

2 Likes