Controller change - protocol for air traffic

What is the protocol for pilots following a controller change?

For example, I was on approach just now and had previously been given approach vectoring instructions into TCNM. Can the new controller see the prior controller’s directives? Thinking (s)he cannot, I resent the prior vectoring instructions that I’d been given by the prior controller.

If I’m on short final and have been cleared to land, then the controller changes, do I need to re-request landing clearance?

Thanks!
Mark (N1ME)

2 Likes

He cannot see that… But usually IFATC controllers will communicate with the person taking over about what the current situation is.

If not… They revector you ;)

Thanks,
Jack

2 Likes

IFATC controllers are always in communication. They’re usually know what you’re supposed to be doing, and if not they simply ask the previous controller.

No do not re-request landing clearance.

2 Likes

Anything given by a previous RADAR controller such as ILS-10, TNCM, as well as assigned altitudes, would be visible but not headings.

You don’t need to request landing if a switch occurs from Unicom to active on short final.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.