Controller ATC operating only in their home countries

Hello, I see what you want, but, as many people said earlier, it’s not really possible. First, although we want to make realistic procedures, the huge amount of traffic coming at the airport and the ATC manual make us to often use unrealistic procedures. Also, there aren’t many controllers in a specific country (especially in Africa, maybe I’m totally wrong) so if one day, the featured region is in Central Africa, controllers that don’t come from or live there mustn’t control that day? I hope you’ll understand what I mean, but your idea isn’t really that bad.

2 Likes

Can you elaborate on some examples of problems/ issues you/ “us” have been experiencing?

I, personally, think that being able to control aerodomes in other countries helps to keep all controllers on their toes and on top of their game by having to continuously adapt and create new plans and strategies. As it has been stated before, we (IFATC) are a volunteer service to the pilots. While some things may be different than real-life, we try to keep as professional as possible for everybody involved, and, while we do have some freedoms to control the airspaces/airports as we best see fit to maximize efficiency and safety for those flying, we are held to some high standards to ensure that consistency and said efficiency are maintained. While IF is meant to be as realistic as possible, there will always be some disparity between realism and simulation.

Is this complaint aimed more towards IFATC or the pilots? IFATC controllers are, at a minimum, required to assess their desired aero dome, from terrain to taxiways, arrivals to approaches, and come up with plans to service all in/outbound. However, things will, and DO, happen that force us to either amend, and sometimes throw out, our plans and work up new ones. If this is aimed towards the pilots, well… that’s why we’re here.

I too wish that some people were more realistic overall, but as a community, we are all pretty realistic when it comes to IF. At the end of the day, we are all human and make mistakes. What makes us great is our ability to analyze, adapt, and overcome whatever challenges are thrown our way. Even IRL, sometimes normal procedures don’t work, and new ones must be created to adapt to ever-changing variables.

3 Likes

I agree with the beginning…They should do that. :)

What your are suggesting is doing ATC at home every single day on expert. That poses way too many problems: unpredictable ATC presence, no ATC at night, small countries never get ATC.

3 Likes

I think my fellow controllers have stated the issues with that. Would you only like to fly to your local airport/country since you are not familiar with the procedures? I sure wouldn’t. If I had to do control in my local area, I would leave IFATC pretty much.

3 Likes

No, I’m saying people know certain airports they could make it really realistic.

1 Like

Agreed. I live in some mountains. I would only have 4-5 airports to choose from

1 Like

But you said you agree with the original post… make up your mind.

Look, when my local airport is featured next I’ll try my best to implement realistic procedures if I know them. But I don’t think we will start that kind of requirement anytime soon. I don’t see why we need more realism right now.

1 Like

This topic is kinda pointless, ATC will never change anything would they…

1 Like

What do you mean? image

1 Like

Well other than the occasional update they haven’t really ever changed anything to deal with something like this.

1 Like

Again, not really feasible on a large scale. If you still want to talk, PM please :)

1 Like

@Brody_Swiatek, instead of whining about how IFATC isn’t changing, perhaps provide solutions.

2 Likes

Lol, I was just about say that, well let me know if you want any of my other opinions

2 Likes

Two more points to bring up regarding how 100% realism doesn’t really work well with IF:

1. Following regular runway usage doesn’t work always at hub airports. That being said, the controllers should really do something to avoid departures having to hold short for 10 minutes to wait for arrival queue to clear up.
  2. Some airports have curfews. Implementing curfews would make it impossible for some people to fly to some very big airports (eg. EGLL closes between 12am and 6am, which is basically exactly between when students are dismissed from school and when they sleep on the west coast), or simply limit long haul possibilities. Few people are going to wake up past midnight to land an IF flight.
1 Like

Interesting the first point highlighted.

Yeah that’s actually one of my only complaint with IFATC procedures these days. The other being potential issues with the SID/STAR required ATIS because major airports (eg. EWR, JFK) sometimes don’t have an arrival procedure from a direction and flight IRL don’t use STAR in that case either.

1 Like

I understand your point of dissatisfaction.

What really gets me is that none of the people dissatisfied with the realism in our service have experience controlling on expert server. Go ahead and join IFATC and use realistic procedures 100% of the time, good luck.

4 Likes

Sometimes, as in the case with KLAX, people only want to depart RW25R, or there is a large turnout for a FNF or featured event, and it is simply something that can only be worked out by controlling and trying to expedite everyone. We do try to balance the inbound/outbound, however things do happen where you may only get out a couple departures every minute or so because of a vast amount of inbounds/ runway layout. If planes are required to backtaxi, such as Funchal, it can drastically increase times it takes to service everybody

1 Like