Controlled takeoff

I don’t know if someone here knows that my 2 latest posts talked about flight phases and the right N1% power

People here probably had an experience that could define the right way to apply thrust. My point here is too know what should I do if I apply more thrust than the necessary and with that mistake, this things happen :
•I Takeoff at the middle of the runway,
•The V/S exceeds 3,000fpm
•The Speed is continuously increasing

So:
What N1% thrust should I apply if to make my aircraft at a speed that I can have it all the way up to 1,500ft to reduce thrust

More simple :
What N1% should I apply to maintain VREF+15

1 Like

One of the things that mostly happens is the aircraft increasing its speed with a high N1% thrust

The aircraft’s speed relative to the ground will constantly increase if you maintain the same airspeed. If you want to have the same ground speed during climb (which I do not recommend) you need to lower N1 to then as that lowers airspeed. A good way of maintaining the same airspeed is to enable auto-thrust and you’ll maintain your set airspeed. The best would probably to set the N1 to 80-85 and wait until airborne and a positive climb. After you set your V/S to whatever you desire and then press the speed icon to maintain that airspeed during the climb.

2 Likes

Okey let me ask this to make sure I understood, reduced N1 % is okey right?
This Is just for avoiding confusions

Its perfectly all right. Infact its a problem when you take off at the end of the runway. Every runway has a screen height. Its a height in AGL that you should be at at the end of the runway to stay clear of all obstacles. So its normal to takeoff halfway down

1 Like

You might be applying to much power or dont pull up flaps.
Remember that your flaps should be completely up max by the time you reach 210kias.
Also in most cases 85% N1 is more than enough to get you off the ground and climb to cruise. Unless you are too heavy. Above 90% load of aircraft MTOW. It shows in status bar. Or runway is too short. In tat case takeoff with more power. Reduce power once off the ground.

1 Like

Perfect answer, I think this topic is clearer with your answer thanks for this!

1 Like

Actually that’s completely the wrong thing to do.

Quick question, what’s wrong with exceeding 3000fpm?

In reality you take off at a set thrust. At the acceleration altitude climb thrust is selected (which may be less but depends on many variables), you accelerate and clean up the flaps once clean you target your climb speed and watch as the FMS cleverly increases N1 all the way up to cruise altitude.

Note there is no reference to specific vertical speed, you get what you get.

2 Likes

That is correct.
But that one is only for runway is short. And you need fast acceleration. So you takeoff with extra juice from the engine and reduce power as needed for climb.

2nd thing its always not the case that thrust must be fixed yeah fixed VS is what i’m not fan of either… I’m not quite sure with RL procedure. But I fly the aircraft based on how its behaving (pitch angle and aircraft path angle) so on most ocassion i takeoff and adjust VS and power to maintain around 10° pitch and speed as needed (upto 15° on md11 etc. Aircraft specific.) And then not more than 5° on climb past 10000ft. Also adjust v/s so that N1 doesn’t exceed 95% at any stage.

During descent I maintain a positive pitch of not less than 1° and flight path of not less than -3° adjust VS and IAS accordingly.

Yes but the climb thrust isn’t set until 1000’ minimum (airline dependant do could be as low as 400’) or higher it if using a noise abatement departure.

You should be climbing initially at about 20 degrees nose up give or take a couple each way.

Nothing wrong with exceeding 95% N1 either 😉

Exceeding 3,000fpm, makes you climb like a rocket and that is not great for me.
Also have you ever toke a look of the runway at the outside camera of the aircraft, don’t you think it is in a exaggerated way too high?
What’s your opinion?

Yes, you’re right again, I think a low power while taking off helps a lot to pitch up at 10 degrees

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.