Continue Inbound

I want to be sure I am learning correctly. I was inbound with a flight plan to Toronto Pearson 24L a few minutes ago on expert server. I contacted Tower as many miles out as it allowed me (there was no approach radar) and requested landing 24L. Tower told me continue inbound. So i continued my plan including altitude lowering and speed decreases and when i was about 12 miles from the runway I assumed i would be Given an entry and a clearance. Instead Tower asked my intentions so I said landing 24L. Tower told me check user guide. What did i do wrong? After continue inbound was i supposed to request landing again earlier? Thank you.

1 Like

It was quite busy, so it might just be a small error. Do you know the name of the controller at the time, or perhaps what time this happened at? Sorry about that.

1 Like

Best to ask controller. I just assume he forgot about you, which is why he said “say intentions”. Your response (as I would assume) to “say intentions” was incorrect, which is why he said that. Hope that makes sense, but really best to contact the controller to be 100% sure.

It sounds like your controller was @sergio_campero send them a message and they’ll get back to you when they’ve finished their session.

1 Like

Did you call Inbound on the ILS/GPS/Visual? When only tower is active make sure you just call in “inbound for landing”. It’s possible that was the cause for him telling you to check the user guide.

1 Like

I wasn’t the controller, but I’d like to take this opportunity to say that I like to use continue inbound as Tower ATC when it is busy, when the pilot calls in as far out as they can (similar to what it sounds like you did) and I don’t exactly know where to have them enter the pattern/where they will be sequenced.

It’s important to know that continue inbound does not replace a pattern entry/sequence/clearance.

It sounds like you called in correctly.

Always best to message the controller to be 100% sure as only you and them know the exact situation/communications you had. We are all always learning, and I am glad you posted to seek clarification.

7 Likes

Thank you all taking the time to help. I will do that. And i suspect i might have Accidentally said on The ILS which I know is for after approach hand off to tower. That may be what i did i combination with maybe just being busy and forgetting me because I called a little early the first time. Thanks!!

1 Like

@Delta55 you were inbound 13NM at 3.500ft almost on final leg and I asked you for intentions , and then you called inbound on the ILS , no Approach Controller was active in that moment, that is the reason for CUG. Anyway, no worries because we learn from mistakes👍🏻

1 Like

Yeah if there is no approach controller online you should Request for an Approach not call Inbound.

1 Like

Just Inbound for landing👍🏻