Contacting approach on departure

Hey guys,

Something that’s been frequent recently and also annoying is after takeoff I’m being told to contact approach on departure and I was wondering why is that? Because to me it just makes no sense to contact approach after takeoff and it gets in the way of people that are coming in

1 Like

Sometimes radar controllers, when traffic is light, will decide to allow departures to come to their frequency. They’ll serve as a departure frequency normally would, no different. Like naro said, it’s also a lot easier during times of high traffic to have it all on one frequency.
Assuming this is Expert.

3 Likes

Sometimes, it’s much easier for radar controllers to have all aircraft on one screen. It prevents them from switching back and forth between frequencies when things get busy.

3 Likes

Opening only approach makes things easier as we can deny departures on our frequency if traffic becomes to busy. It gives us a safety net

1 Like

This brings me a question. If I takeoff and I’m told, “Frequency change approved”, do I contact approach? Or do I only do that when they tell me to contact approach?

4 Likes

No. If you get a ‘frequenty change approved’ you can simply tune out and enjoy your flight. Be aware of possible traffic coming your way though

1 Like

Yeah, it’s basically a way for us to clean up the frequency and organize.

1 Like

If we want them to do that, we will say contact app/dep

3 Likes

Yeah. To me it’s just unnecessary. All they ever say is proceed on course to your destination and hand you off within a minute

That is not always the case. There may be other traffic arriving or departing that he or she may need to vector you around.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.