Contact approach or departure?

If I’m traveling between 2 satellite airports near KLAX, and not leaving or arriving in the general area, should I contact LA approach or departure for flight following?

Nope. If you’re above FL180 and not intending to land in the area, there’s no need to contact.

2 Likes

If you are flying within their airspace (50nm, below FL180), yes you can ask for flight following. Read this

1 Like

I thought that Flight Following is only for VFR? Wouldn’t you simply Check In with the app/dep?

It’s not a inbound or outbound flight. Somewhat similar to a transition he is/was passing through.

Just passing through whilst on a frequency, to maintain separation and a controlled environment with other aircraft.

Actually check in is usually for departing flights with a fpl. Fair point. Although ‘flight following’ is generally used for GA traffic with or without a flight plan, they’ve following a fpl for their flight to an airport. That’s why you can also report VFR.

I believe “Check in” has pretty much been misused by the pilots a lot. Lots of pilots on the expert server would normally just use check in firstly. For me, as an approach controller, I would ask their intentions if they check in. Technically you are right. They should check in. But actually, check in would just cause confusion. I believe in this case, request flight following would be a better choice.

3 Likes

He never said if he was VFR or IFR.

3 Likes

No, confusion among ATC. ;) You can check in.

I think my question was misunderstood. I’m not asking if I should call at all, I’m asking if I DO call, which would be more appropriate, the approach freq or departure freq?

Approach is probably the best choice. They may switch you to another frequency though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.