Contact approach at....

Hi all
during my last experience on live i left an airport with ATC, flight plan was entered so I had an airport destination.
After take off I requested frequency change so the ATC should just ignore me as I was on my way to destination, he confirmed but after few minutes he asked me to “contact approach at…”.
Now the question I have is if I did something wrong or I missed something or maybe was ATC mistake.
The logic says to me that one I’m on my way, I have a clear destination and the frequency change is approved in case some of the ATC will contact me I can just say “flight following to my destination” as VFR is non-sense for real flights as someone wrote :) (unless you have a Cesna).
I would like to be to undestand that piece before I’ll try the advanced server…25 hrs flight but still a lot to learn!
Thanks a lot and congrats for the fantastic community here!

Massimo

2 Likes

Yes you should have contacted approach. Although you have a flight plan you can be vectored to your destination. And if u request frequency change if it is approved just switch to the nearest Unicom so ATC doesn’t have planes all over the place.

2 Likes

yes exactly about the frequency, that is what I did.
thanks!

1 Like

Usually in adv every tower after your takeoff said xxxfrequency change good day,you must to leave this frequency and if you have approach contact him if not contact some unicom,after when you can contact the approach of your destination contact him and ask for vector you to the airport. Or if you not have a destination just ask for vfr.ciao

Loud and clear, thanks Marcello!

1 Like

Should have ;)

1 Like

Carson is that you? :P

1 Like

Haha no. Great catch @Cessna_Citation_X ;)

2 Likes

Yes after take off you maybe handed to approach. What plane where you flying and that will dictate weather you can fly flight following or not. If it’s a commercial aircraft you can’t fly VFR you should be on an IFR flight plan. If your in the citation or BBJ with a general aviation call sign you can call that in. But you have to stay under FL180. But you still maybe vectored if needed.

1 Like