Confusion for training server

I’m curious to why people call the training server the “training server”. When I or I see people complain about pilots on the forum people say, that’s why it’s called the “training server” that’s why you can’t report them. That makes no sense to me. How is it training to let someone break the rules with no repercussions, especially when they know what they’re doing is wrong. It’s like letting your child get away with doing something wrong and not punishing them. It shouldn’t be called the training server. There is no “training” happening when the wind is coming from 330 and you tell a pilot to take off from 31R and they refused to and take off of 22R. And then you just let them do it because you can’t do anything about. It’s like a parent unable to control your child.

1 Like

Hi,

The reason we have a training server is for pilots to get accustomed to rules and regulations before entering the expert server. The training server also allows for a chance for pilots to interact with ATC. Basically, it’s like a ‘school’ for the expert server, hence the name. because of this, it does not make much sense to have many repercussions since pilots may not be aware of how they should conduct themselves. The Training Server does hand out level one violations so it’s not a completely rule-free zone.

:)

1 Like

Yea but let’s say they keep doing these mistakes, they won’t know not listening to instructions can get them really badly reported if and when they make it to ES. They’ll end up messing with air traffic and effecting other pilots.

1 Like

Sorry, but the training server have always been like that since I started playing IF. If you want more realism, you just have to fly on expert and if you want to do ATC with good pilots, apply for IFATC Infinite Flight ATC Recruiting and if someone grind to expert but still making ATC communication wrong, he’ll be reported. His fault

1 Like

How is it their fault if they’re not being penalized in the training server? When I did something wrong in flight school my instructor would correct me or get angry at me if I did it again. My instructor wouldn’t just let me get away with things.

Pilot should read the manual before starting flying on expert, that’s why it’s his fault. If they are not able to follow it, they are not able to fly on expert, that’s simple.

Yep, that’s a good point, however, my point still stands. If you went to school and messed up a math problem, someone wouldn’t blow up a rocket-ship and say “that’s what happens when you get your numbers wrong”. The same applies here, the point is to have a learning server with minimal repercussions. I agree the system is flawed but adding violations would not exactly do something about it, that would just lead us down a rabbit hole of TS ATC misusing their power, unfair violations and whatnot. Unfortunately, the solution right now would just be to join expert server ATC, as mentioned above.

I would like to know, what way do you think these violations on the TS would be added? Would they be system generated or handed out by the controllers, or something else?

I like to think of it as if they act that way on the training server, they will act like that on the expert server then they get banned because they think it’s right ;).

that’s how I look at it. there’s no reason anyone should be unrealistic in the training or expert server. the manual is there for a reason. if they don’t wanna read it and go on the expert server acting like that and thinking they know all of it and pull that stuff, us IFATC will catch them if they’re at our field ;)

Oh, there are things worth complaining about on the training server (although, it’s undeniably hilarious at times). I have just about the funniest replay of all time from my patternwork at LAX last night.

This kid was continually exploding out of LAX without clearance, banging 180s and coming back in on short final, using the “requesting arrival” button as a literal “this is what I’m doing RIGHT NOW” button. I felt so bad for tower…”N-SSSS, not accepting patternwork at this time”, C-130 smashes into the runway without clearance “LAX TOWER, READY FOR DEPARTURE, REMAINING IN THE PATTERN”. There was nothing “I’m learning how to do this” about it. This was a child with an ipad and only the vaguest notion of how aviation works.

But on the flipside, I started watching the replay to study my 777 patternwork from an objective viewpoint, wound up watching this kid crash his c-130, switch to the f-14 within seconds and continue terrorizing LAX with 180s. Was it frustrating? Of course…but I‘d be lying if I tried to claim that it wasn’t also hilarious.

In spite of this happening, there actually is training going on. Maybe not from a pilot’s perspective, because grade is not equivalent to skill. You could literally do nothing but touch and goes, work your way up to the Expert Server, and still not have learned a damn thing about flying professionally.

The training is happening with ATC. Of course, there are going to be troll Air Traffic Controllers, but there are those who are training to attempt to become IFATC controllers.

Trolls cannot be avoided 100% of the time, but for the best odds of avoiding trolls, avoid major international airports like Los Angeles, London, etc.

The report button has been subject to widespread abuse in the past, that’s why we can’t use it.

@Lee_Poznanski1, one of the most important points has already been made here. Oftentimes, people see the IFC as an outlet to complain, but rather, it should be seen as an outlet for constructive improvement.

It’s fairly objective to say that a user’s learning experience could be improved in the CS/TS/ES system, but what specific feedback do you have that would effect change other than just “ts doesn’t work?”

1 Like

I think if there could be a system where if you break a rule in game that would be a violation either issued by a controller or by the game, a pop up similar to the TFR popup could be broadcasted to the individual with feedback as to what they did wrong and where to find respective tutorials. This could also be found in their logbooks too. Would be good to have this sort of feature on expert server.

1 Like

Not necessarily a violation that’s issued like on the expert server, but they either get thrown off that network for that flight or continue offline. That would be more appropriate than what we have now. Considering If they aren’t going to listen to ATC instruction anyway, continue offline. I saw yesterday two planes, one taking off the same runway as one was landing the opposite end (correct side of the runway), at the same time. I tried sending the on guard message to the aircraft taking off but wouldn’t listen and because I couldn’t stop him. I had to to tell the arriving aircraft to go around. That is why we need some kind of discipline. It isn’t just about them.

1 Like

Exactly what I wrote to Fourthnebula919:

Not necessarily a violation that’s issued like on the expert server, but they either get thrown off that network for that flight or continue offline. That would be more appropriate than what we have now. Considering If they aren’t going to listen to ATC instruction anyway, continue offline. I saw yesterday two planes, one taking off the same runway as one was landing the opposite end (correct side of the runway), at the same time. I tried sending the on guard message to the aircraft taking off but wouldn’t listen and because I couldn’t stop him. I had to to tell the arriving aircraft to go around. That is why we need some kind of discipline. It isn’t just about them.

1 Like

Who determines if they get kicked off? Does the controller? Who knows if the controller knows what they’re doing? Where do we cross the line here into being just like ES?

1 Like

That is a good question, I mean, me personally, I think grade 3 pilots should be only allowed to ATC on TS. I mean, i think it is set where anyone can ATC on the server even if they don’t have an IF account. I don’t understand that at all.

1 Like

Currently, users have to be at least Grade 2 to access TS.

How do we know that Grade 3 pilots will be better controllers than Grade 2 pilots? Isn’t the difference just more landings and flight time in the preceding 90 days? What about those qualities makes someone a better controller who’s expected to wield the increased responsibility of removing users from TS?

I’m not trying to shoot down your arguments. I’m just trying to make the point that there’s a reason the server structure is set up how it currently is (no ATC/violations on CS, beginner violations and ATC on TS, and trained ATC and hefty violations on ES) for a reason. Maybe the way it’s set up currently is the best of all worlds?

You have to think too that the TS isn’t just training for pilots, it’s training for ATC too. That’s why there are no requirements, because they are learning like I stated earlier.

1 Like

Fine than never mind, let it be the way it is and continue to be (regardless of what you think) a non-training server. Because it really isn’t.

The point of the training server is to provide a light introduction into what the Expert Server requires of pilots. Furthermore, gives them an intro to simple and automated violations that encourage realism. :)

If you have any further questions feel free to let me know.