[COMPLETED] @Skybear's TBM-930 World Tour Log

Ashgabat (UTAA) to Delhi (VIDP) Flight Plan

Departure Arrival Dist Flight Time
UTAA VIDP 1133nm 3:3 5
Cruise Climb Descent Fuel
FL290@M0.53 170/40 2000fps 820kg (5h)
Planned Route via Skyvector Weather via Windy
UTAA KEM30D KEMOR A125 BELUG A125 NINOP B475 DAVET P173 TAPIS M875 NITIV M875 BUTOP DPN VIDP Thunderstorm SIGMET at UTAA but looks like VFR conditions at VIDP. Flight will favor a tailwind most of the way.
1 Like

Ashgabat (UTAA) to Delhi (VIDP) Notes

Not a lot to see in the darkness. I did some editing to make the 930 a little more visible in this screenshot. It was almost a completely uneventful flight except I accidentally lowered the gear during cruise. Before I could realize what had happened, I went into a stall and lost 5000’ before recovering into stable flight. I thought maybe I had planned the fuel wrong and was trying to figure out what was going on before I saw the indicator lit up for the gear. AP only made things worse as it tipped the nose of the plane up increasing the stall. I finally realized I needed to disable AP, point the nose down to gain speed and it was only after several seconds that I realized the gear was down, making it almost impossible to recover, and then finally raised the gear so I could regain some altitude. Making a good mental note of this incase I unknowingly lower the gear again.

Anyway, I’m now in India and looking forward to the next 3 airports of this tour. I believe they’ll be my favorites, Kathmandu, Lukla, and then an airport high in the Tibetan Prefecture. I wish the third airport existed in IF but it doesn’t. It’s a an airport in wonderful Shangri La, China. I’ve settled for flying to a Lijiang about 180km/97nm to the south. I plan on plotting a waypoint that takes me over Shangri-la.

2 Likes

Glad you got on the ground safe. Good luck on your upcoming leg!

1 Like

Delhi (VIDP) to Kathmandu (VNKT)

VIDP VNKT 467nm 1:30
FL290@M0.53 170/40 2000fps 410kg (2.5h)
VIDP SSB W37 HW ONISA MAHEN SUKET PALPA NARAN B345 KTM VNKT VFR conditions at VIDP and IFR conditions at VNKT. 70kt+ tailwind on the way.
1 Like

Delhi (VIDP) to Kathmandu (VNKT) Screenshots and Notes

Himalayan’s are in sight! I’ll be going for a jaunt to Lukla before heading off to Lijiang. If I think I can make the landing I’ll do so but if not, I’ll double back to Kathmandu. This is the approach into Kathmandu for RWY2.

More sights from this leg of the trip.

3 Likes

Side trip to Lukla (VNLK)

Flight Plan IGRIS1B KIMTI via SkyVector.

VNKT IGRIS1B KIMTI VNLK

Lukla is so close that it’s worth the effort of visiting. I’ve found these approach/departure procedures on the Flightgear Wiki (referencing an aerosoft post). I’ll take 2 hours worth of fuel (this will give me a 90 minute reserve if I need to turn around. That’s 328kg in fuel. This is a VFR flight, so I may fly until I hit the 10° radial towards Lukla (fly past KIMTI which is the 65° radial).

Approach Procedure

"…From (Khatmandu) VNKT climb to at least 13000 ft while following VOR 112.30 outbound on track 096° for about 70 nm. Now turn on terrain mode (TERR) on your GPS navigator and carefully locate the low elevation valley running north and south with VNLK on its path. Follow the valley to the north while descending to just above the airport elevation at 9100 ft. When you have the airport in sight on your right side line up with the 2500 ft asphalt runway at 60° and land… " Courtesy of forum.aerosoft.com.

If GPS isn’t your preferred method, it is just as easy to fly the 096° radial from Kathmandu, then turn north onto the 010° radial of Lamidada NDB 236 as you intersect it. This heading takes you straight into the valley to Lukla. Most aircraft will allow both these to be dialled in on seperate displays at the same time.

Make sure your descent from FL130 on the turn is made without delay, there isn’t much time before the airport appears ahead on your right. Full flaps are a must.

Departure Procedure

Depart the airfield to the South, climb toward FL130. Using Khatmandu VOR 112.3, turn west onto the 096° radial as you intersect it. Clear of the mountains, descend 7000ft. Don’t be tempted to descend any lower, as after a 6-8 min stretch without mountains, there is one more range to hop over. Once past, descend as able and prepare for an imminent landing. As the plains stretch away beneath you, the runway should become visible. If not, immediately overhead the VOR, turn north. The airfield is within a mile or two of the VOR.

1 Like

VNLK, Lukla Airport Sidetrip Update

Well that was a rough landing. I didn’t flare enough, and wasn’t stable enough and I ended up having the nose gear touch first. I luckily only bounced once and managed to swing the 930 into parking. I’ll now fly back to VIDP unless Lukla has fuel on site (I don’t know if they store fuel or not but I’m going to check online). I plan on doing some more reading on approach and departure procedures here as it’s definitely one of the more challenging places I’ve been.

1 Like

Kathmandu (VNKT) to Lijiang (ZPLJ)

VNKT ZPLJ 953nm 2:45
FL290@M0.53 170/40 2000fps 697kg (4.25h)
Planned Route via FPLtoIF Weather via Windy
VNKT D022C D320D KTM IGRIS D102T KIMTI 2723N/8650E TUMLI NONIM RKZ LXA TAPUN LEVBA 2733N/10000E 2700N/10000E 2656N/10019E ZPLJ 70kt+ tailwind at FL290. MVFR conditions at VNKT. VFR conditions at ZPLJ.

Utilizing IGRI1B SID on departure, expecting RWY 20 on arrival.

Kathmandu (VNKT) to Lijiang (ZPLJ) Screenshots and Notes

It was a beautiful flight to Lijiang. I did fly by Shangri-va and if you look carefully above, to the right of the tail of the 930, you can Shangri-la airport (ZPDQ) sitting in the valley. It’s unfortunate it doesn’t actually exist in IF.

Lijiang was fun flying into because you have to fly AROUND Yulong Snow Mountain before descending for ZPLJ. It’s a fun approach if you’re coming from the North as you have to avoid a few different mountains and descend into the valley.

This is the beginning of the mountain range just north of Lijiang that you have to navigate around before making a hard left to begin descending into the valley, followed by a hard right.

Flying over the Himalayas (I believe between Everest and K2). Everest is in the background here, to the right.

Lijiang (ZPLJ) to Da Nang (VVDN)

ZPLJ VVDN 855nm 2:45
FL290@M0.53 170/40 2000fps 656kg (4h)
ZPLJ NIVUX L888 BIDRU LPB A206 VIN W2 HUE HUE1A VVDN ZPLJ / VVDN / Still heaven crosswinds today, VFR at ZPLJ and MVFR at VVDN.

Utilizing IGRI1B SID on departure, expecting RWY 20 on arrival.

1 Like

Awesome shots as always, I’m really enjoying the ongoing updates - very inspiring 👍🏻

3 Likes

Lijiang (ZPLJ) to Da Nang (VVDN) Screenshots and Notes

I’ve made it to my stop in Vietnam, Da Nang. Turning onto final for the only lit runway. Love the glass in the 930. Maybe one day these will be operation in IF.

The rolling hills of South West China in the background. This is my last major leg over ground if I shoot fo the PHNL hop to KHAF at the end of this trip.

The coast of Vietnam. I bet it’s beautiful in better light!

Stopping for some serious planning now. The legs for the rest of this journey are going to be about an hour longer at this point. Careful fuel planning, checking high altitude winds, and backup plans become paramount for this next section over the Pacific.

Anyone have a formula for calculating how much further tail winds will carry me?

Da Nang (VVDN) to Davao de Sur (RPMD)

RPVI will be my alternate for this flight. I should be fine on fuel, but just incase, I can certainly make it there. There are several airports to land at in the Philippines if need be.

VVDN RPMD 1315nm 4:25
FL290@M0.53 170/40 2000fps 890kg (max fuel)
VVDN CLA PCA L628 ARESI EMPUL GUKUM L628 DOSUS W3 LBG W3 SAJ W3 IOO W7 CGO RPMD VVDN / RPMD / There’s a 4kt wind at FL290. No consistent tail, head, or crosswind. VRF conditions at both airports.

Getting close @Skybear! Nearly at that finishing point!

1 Like

I know!! been an excellent experience so far. I was pleasantly surprised that at higher alt airports the physics had been modeled of making it a little harder to take off. Great sim!

3 Likes

Da Nang (VVDN) to Davao de Sur (RPMD) Screenshots and Notes

Another leg down. I’m going to fly at least one more this evening (EST) and get this over the water party started. Ran into MVFR conditions at RPMD but nothing super challenging. Selecting the ILS and following it is surprisingly easy. The only characteristic of the TBM9 that I’ve noticed is that I need to stay at 130kts for easier correction or learn to be more stable with my iPad. Either way, this has been a blast and a great way to get acquainted with IF.

1 Like

hmmmmmm typo

1 Like

Good catch. I updated it.

Aright this looks like a lot of fun… I think I’m gonna do a round the world also
(Thx for the inspiration)

2 Likes

IT IS!!! I have as much fun planning, checking real work weather, considering flight scenarios (like where is it safe to fly on the real world and where is it not) as I do actually loading everything into the sim. IF excels in the ability to EASILY enter that info and act on it.

1 Like