[COMPLETED] @Skybear's TBM-930 World Tour Log

KBHB to CYYR Screenshots and Notes

Lesson Learned: Check the weather between your departure and destination. I initially hit a 70kt direct crosswind in the first three segments of my route that turned into a 112kt crosswind. Eventually turned into more of a tailwind than crosswind (not really), but even at M0.55 I was off course by almost half a mile. Windy is my new friend… I could correct for level flight using my rudder but it would be nice if you could trim for rudder in IF. Maybe that’s a feature request already? So, just checking METARs at your departure and arrival airport can and will get you in trouble. I now have a better understanding of how to make the hop from Hawaii to California if the winds are favorable.

Arrived at Goose Bay for a 20kt crosswind landing. Nearly stalled the plane at 85kts while landing for a VERY short runout with Reverse Thrusters but we it! I’ll be off for my first over ocean flight to Greenland next.

90+ kt crosswind. Notice how AP tips the plane trying to keep it on course.

3 Likes

Goose Bay (CYYR) to Narsarsuaq (BGBW)

As of 05021225Z, there’s a 50kt+ headwind on this flight at FL290. Good visibility, etc otherwise at BGBW.

CYYR Information
BGBW Information
Weather Information via Windy

Planned Route via FPLtoIFR

CYYR 5352N/5937W ENNSO 5900N/5000W 6035N/4644W 6110N/4525W 6104N/4536W BGBW

Departure CYYR
Arrival BGBW
Distance 686nm
Flight Time 2:47
Cruise FL290@M0.55
Climb 170/40
Descent 2000
Fuel 888kgs (5.4h)

0322Z Update Weather looks a little more favorable tonight than it did this morning. I’m going to make the hop and I just hit Grade 2 so I think I’ll hop onto the training server.

Departing Goosebay on Leg 3 of @Skybear's World Tour

Super neat! Looks like a blast!

1 Like

CYYR to BGBW Screenshots and Notes

That was an interesting leg of this journey. I either flew into very heavy fog or the scenery at BGBW isn’t as developed as I’d expect it to be. Everything seemed flat (maybe I was father north than I thought and hit that particular scenery bug). It was a smooth flight out of Goose Bay and a decently smooth flight into Narsarsuaq, though I did deal with a loft of variable wind on final. Over all, uneventful flight and I’ll be glad to get across the North Atlantic.

Reykjavik is up next, probably tomorrow, and I may even attempt the Dublin leg tomorrow as well to get through this North Atlantic portion of the Tour.

Narsarsuaq (BGBW) to Reykjavik (BIRK) Flight Plan

BGBW Information
BIRK Information

BGBW 6110N/4525W 6139N/4332W INGAN 6432N/2409W RK401 EXINU CF19Y BIRK

Departure BGBW
Arrival BIRK
Distance 685nm
Cruise FL290@M0.53
Climb 170/40
Descent 2000
Fuel 735kg (4.5h)

Notes

As of 1700Z on May 3, winds were not favorable for takeoff. Sustained 40kt winds with 50kt gusts.

Looks like I’m grounded at BGBW until at least 1800 local time today (2000Z).

Disregard. Made it out barely: Flying challenge at BGBW while the conditions last!

BGBW to BIRK Screenshots and Notes

After a quick challenge to the community, I set off for Reykjavik (BIRK). Taking off at Narsarsuaq (BGBW) was an absolute bear (no pun intended). Set trim to -100% to keep the nose down, decided to let the wind push me down the runway because it was gusting 50kts, and made sliding takeoff (somehow just feet off the ground but not over the runway).

A third of the way through the flight, the turbulence finally broke and it was a smooth flight into BIRK. After some planning I’ll be off to EGAD in Northern Ireland.

1 Like

Reykjavik (BIRK) to County Down, Northern Ireland (EGAD)

BIRK Information
EGAD Information

BIRK 6408N/2156W 6401N/2138W 6405N/2146W METIL 6335N/1939W RATSU BARKU BEN GOW TRN 5500N/503W BLACA BEL EGAD

Departure BIRK
Arrival EGAD
Distance 897nm
Cruise FL290@M0.53
Climb 170/40
Descent 2000
Fuel 753kg (4.6h)
Flight Time 2:45

1 Like

Reykjavik (BIRK) to County Down, Northern Ireland (EGAD) Screenshots and Notes

I’ve made it to Mainland (almost anyway) Western Europe. That was one of two ocean crossings for this tour. I left North East Canada to Hop to Northern Ireland with fuel stops in Greenland and Iceland. All-in-all, short 3 hour hops. Next stop Innsbruck.

If I’m not mistaken, the mountain range you can see in the first photo on the second row are the Mourne Mountains. Definitely a place worth hiking if you ever find yourself in Northern Ireland.

2 Likes

County Down, Northern Ireland (EGAD) to Innsbruck (LOWI)

EGAD Information
LOWI Information

This will be my first flying between the mountains approach on this journey so I decided to check FPLtoIF’s automated flight plan against Skyvector and the actual STAR chart and everything looks good. I’ll definitely have to exercise altitude awareness but this should be a fun approach and hopefully a great chance to record some video.

Approach Notes

• XEBIX at 13000
  • ELMEM at 13000
  • HDG 90 to LOWI from ELMEM
  • 32nm from ELMEM to LOWI
  • LOWI elev. 1907 ft MSL

Planned Route via FPLtoIF

EGAD NELBO MASOP 5402N/402W REMSI SOGPO OTSOP KOREV COL MONAX TUSUK RIDSU ABUKA SUNEG TEDGO UTABA MOMUK BEMKI 4725N/1028E XEBIX ELMEM 4720N/1151E LOWI

Departure EGAD
Arrival LOWI
Distance 856nm
Cruise FL290@M0.53
Climb 170/40
Descent 2000
Fuel 757kg (4.6h)
Flight Time 2:57

1 Like

EGAD to LOWI Screenshots and Notes

This has been my favorite flight yet in IF. Navigating the mountains and flying in under blue skies was perfect! LOWI would be a really fun airport to practice touch and goes. It would also be a great place to run charter flights 😉. I’m sure I’ll be spending some significant time here in IF. Loved the feel of flying in.

1 Like
TBM-930 on approach to LOWI

Innsbruck (LOWI) to Makedonia (LGTS)

Departure Arrival Dist Flight Time
LOWI LGTS 245nm 800nm
Cruise Climb Descent Fuel
FL290@M0.53 170/40 2000fps 738kg (4h)
Planned Route via Skyvector Weather via Windy
LOWI WI528 WI529 WI531 WI521 RTT Y107 BAKOR N503 VIC L12 LUMAV Z982 ANC L612 VIE Q920 GOKEL M603 KAS UM603 EDASI LADAD LGTS Thunderstorms along the way. Severe turbulence above FL180 when approaching KAS VOR waypoint.
2 Likes

@Skybear. MaxSez: Watching, impressive planning, graphics & accompanying dialog tell the tail. Well Done this far. “”Continue the March”. Max Sends

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m seriously impressed at what you can do on an iPad with a flight sim these days. Superb mental challenge.

2 Likes

Innsbruck (LOWI) to Makedonia (LGTS) Screenshots and Notes

Flying the 930 in IF has been an absolute blast! Fly high to get a birds eye view at FL290, fly low to get some great horizon shots. This was on my LOWI-LGTS leg. The Aegean sea below and Pierian mountains on the horizon. LGTS has an interesting ILS approach in that you fly a radius from the Thessaloniki VOR to enter finals.

Morning takeoff from Innsbruck with the sun rising over the Alps. I especially like the technical arrivals and departures into this airport. In fact, I like them so much that I’m going to form MVAO (Mountains Virtual Aviation Organization). I decided to go ahead and create a placeholder for it today at http://m-vao.org.

Hitting the coastline of Greece (I’ve done some post-processing of all my screenshots with Pixelmator).

And for good measure, here are a few more sights along the way. Off to

2 Likes

Makedonia (LGTS) to Tbilisi (UGTB)

I’ve changed up the route a bit. I was originally going to head to Damascus and then Dubai but have now opted to route through Georgia and Turkmenistan. This will give me a more direct course to Kathmandu where I’ll take a day trip up to Lukla (Everest Base Camp). The mountains will be huge and gorgeous in this area. Mt. Everest happens to be 29,029’ tall. Nothing like looking at a mountain at FL290.

LGTS UGTB 1010nm 3:30
FL290@M0.53 170/40 2000fps 738kg (4h)
LGTS ARNAS3B ARNAS ALX EKI UW702 BKZ UW702 INB UW90 SIN UN644 KARDE UN644 ROLIN KTS M737 LOBIN B143 BT B143 GIMUR DF4B UGTB VFR conditions at DPT and ARR airports. Rear crosswind at FL290.

Makedonia (LGTS) to Tbilisi (UGTB) Screenshots and Notes

Nothing too eventful on this leg of the trip and I suspect that will be the case for the next leg. Here are a few screenshots from along the way.

2 Likes

Tbilisi (UGTB) to Ashgabat (UTAA)

UGTB UTAA 670nm 2:30
FL290@M0.53 170/40 2000fps 574kg (3.5h)
UGTB LAMUS4A LAMUS ADEKI LEYLA RODAR A909 TUGTA A909 KEKAL A87 MAMED A87 ASB UTAA Thunderstorms near the departing and arrival airports. Should have a descent tailwind along the way.
2 Likes

Tbilisi (UGTB) to Ashgabat (UTAA) Screenshots and Notes

I’m officially through the Europe section of this world tour and have landed in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan. You can see the Caspian sea in the screenshot above.

Flying just northwest of Baku before heading over water.

1 Like