[COMPLETED] @Skybear's TBM-930 World Tour Log

TBM-930 with Seablue Livery sitting at the GA1 gate at Lexington Bluegrass Airport (KLEX).

Hey y’all! Signing on from Lexington, Kentucky. I’ve been a flight sim addict for years and just discovered Infinite Flight. Started off with FlightGear years ago, went on to X-Plane, and now I’m loving Infinite Flight (especially on my iPad pro. No lag and it’s beautiful!).

I thought it’d be fun to keep an ongoing log of this attempt as well as post screenshots, links, and etc regarding planning. After some initial planning, here are the deets:

I’ll be flying eastbound and trying to catch more favorable tailwinds, especially when deciding whether or not I’m going to try to make the Hawaii to California jump. The winds will have to be very favorable or I won’t be able to make the hop. If I do attempt it, I’ll be following the blue route. If not, I have a route planned north through the Aleutian Islands.

Great Circle Mapper route:

KLEX-KBHB-CYYR-BGBW-BIRK-EGAD-LOWI-LGTS-
UGTB-UTAA-VIDP-VNKT-ZPLJ-VVDN-RPMD-PGUM-
PWAK-PMDY-PAAK-PAHO-PAJN-KSEA-KASE-KLEX

I’ll be flying SIDs and STARs where available, trying to properly plan for fuel, etc and make this as realistic as possible. I’ll also be using Skyvector to plan each leg of this around the world attempt and a great tool that @DeerCrusher called Windy to check atmospheric winds along the journey (especially as I near PHNL).

I’ll be posting the details for my Lexington to Bar Harbor leg shortly.

Blue Skies,
@Skybear

+++

Flight Log Links

LEG Flight Plan Notes Date
KLEX-KBHB FPL Notes May 1, 2019
KHBH-CYYR FPL Notes May 2, 2019
CYYR-BGBW FPL Notes May 2, 2019
BGBW-BIRK FPL Notes May 3, 2019
BIRK-EGAD FPL Notes May 4, 2019
EGAD-LOWI FPL Notes May 4, 2019
LOWI-LGTS FPL Notes May 5, 2019
LGTS-UGTB FPL Notes May 5, 2019
UGTB-UTAA FPL Notes May 6, 2019
UTAA-VIDP FPL Notes May 6, 2019
VIDP-VNKT FPL Notes May 6, 2019
VNKT-ZPLJ FPL Notes May 7, 2019
ZPLJ-VVDN FPL Notes May 8, 2019
VVDN-RPMD FPL Notes May 8, 2019
RPMD-PGUM FPL Notes May 9, 2019
PGUM-PWAK FPL Notes May 10, 2019
PWAK-PMDY FPL Notes May 12, 2019
PMDY-PAAK FPL Notes May 12, 2019
PAAK-PACD FPL Notes May 13, 2019
PACD-PAJN FPL Notes May 13, 2019
PAJN-KSEA FPL Notes May 13, 2019
KSEA-KASE FPL Notes May 14, 2019
KASE-KLEX FPL Notes May 15, 2019
26 Likes
Understanding Missing Airports
Planning an Around the World Route
Departing Goosebay on Leg 3 of @Skybear's World Tour
VIDEO of a HOT Landing at VNLK, Lukla...
BEAUTIFUL! LOWI-LGTS Screenshots from my world tour
TBM-930 Range
TBM-930 in 40kt headwind on the ground
Airways in the Flight Planner

Thats cool, I hope someday I will be doing the same!

1 Like

Looks Good @Skybear… Keep us posted on your progress. Did the deed in a Caravan years ago. Just Lov a GA to go a roving. Regards Pilot, MaxSends
(PS, Insure u Plan Wx/Fuel Diverts for the. Long legs)

7 Likes

I’ve always wanted to do something like this! Especially after the TBM was released, but never had the time to plan for it, have to find time for it, though I’m thinking of doing it on the C750. Keep us updated on the routes :)

I also recommend you to use Chris’s S flight plan website (fpltoif.com) it takes account of winds and calculates everything from FL, speeds, fuel and even airport diagrams (if available)

1 Like

Lexington (KLEX) to Bar Harbor (KHBH)

KLEX Information
KHBH Information

Planned Route via Skyvector and expecting RNAV (GPS) 22.

DACOS J78 HVQ GEFFS Q71 PSB J49 HNK J49 
ALB J49 FRIAR CARDA BECRA CDLAC JESUL   

Departure KLEX at 2245Z 20190501
Arrival KHBH at 0230Z 20190501
Distance 852.1nm
Cruise FL290@0.55m
Fuel 574kg (3.5h*164kg/h, 2.75h flying with 45m reserve)

3 Likes

Anyone is welcome to join me on any leg of the flight!

Awesome and have fun man! I did a world tour in the Tbm and had so much fun . Gotta love this plane .

1 Like

Great advice. Thanks!

1 Like

I will see, maybe I PM you for mor more info

1 Like

KLEX to KBHB Screenshots and Notes

I left my home airport of Lexington Bluegrass (KLEX) for Bar Harbor (KBHB) this evening. Total flight time was 2h38m. I’m looking forward to a sunrise takeoff at Bar Harbor (I might adjust the sim time instead of fly real time). It was a little more difficult landing at night then during the day in the 930 but achievable. Landing was a little off center but per the manual, back wheels hit first and then I put the nose down gently. I did use the localizer on 22 and didn’t hit the correct altitude on my descent so I need to study up some more on when and how to descend to hit my target altitude.

2 Likes

Rule of thumb. Take your cruising altitude and multiply that by 3. That will give you your distance in nautical miles for your TOD. Calculate the distance not from airport but your GPS waypoint that vectors you onto the localizer and you should be all set. I use this all the time and it works like a charm.

FL340 x 3 = 102 NM from your waypoint for the localizer.

Also, welcome to IF! I flew Allegiant out of KLEX 3 flights today to Memphis, Punta Gorda, and Las Vegas.

I lived in Lawrenceburg for a few years before moving back home to Fort Myers in Florida. Very familiar with the area. Cheers!

3 Likes

Bar Harbor (KHBH) to Goose Bay (CYYR)

Bar Harbor has some departing minimums that are obstruction based. Based on which runway you’re headed out (I’m headed towards the Bangor VOR) there are departure instructions you can find at AirNav under the Weather Minimums section.

Useful Links
KHBH Information
CYYR Information
FPLtoIF Flight Plan
Windy

Planned Route via Skyvector

KBHB BGR J49 PQI J582 YZV L600 YYR CYYR

Automated Route via FPLtoIF

KBHB BGR 4505N/6847W PQI GRINS YYY YBC ALKOB 5259N/6102W YYR OMPOV CYYR

Departure KBHB
Arrival CYYR
Distance 719nm
Cruise FL290@0.53m
Fuel 797kg

I think that’s where I messed up. @ActnJaksn239 What descent rate do you use? 1500’?

I live in Ft Myers as well! Looking forward to tracking this flight. I’m in the process of flying around the US, Canada, and then down south through South America and back in a 172 using only VORs to navigate (taking off from KFMY)…

Have a safe flight, looking forward to your updates!!!

2 Likes

I wld want to do a round the world tour also… if anybody can help me it wld be gladly appreciated!

1 Like

Depends on the flight and airport elevation. There have been times I do 1500 and gone as high as 2500 if I overshot my TOD. I typically will do 1800-2000 in steps until I hit 18,000 then 1500 each time ATC assigns a new altitude on down to the localizer.

1 Like

Badass someone else is in here from Ft. Misery. I actually live in the Cape. But not too many people know Cape Coral compared to Ft. Myers. You’ll see me all the time taking off from PGD on Allegiant or RSW in JetBlue or Delta.

2 Likes

@JFKflyer1 It seems like World Tour flights are a dime a dozen around here. I’d say pick one and try to follow it or see how they planned it. I’m trying to put all my thoughts about this one in this thread along with each segment of the Tour.

Things you definitely have to know in layman’s terms:

1. How far can your aircraft fly?
  2. How will the weather affect how far or where you can fly?
  3. Can you load enough fuel to make your flight?
  4. How much realism do you want? You can always fly a direct path to any airport in the sim. Or you cam use tools like SkyVector, AirNav, and GCMapper (all links I’ve used to start planning things out above). You’ll have to know how to read charts, etc to use these services or use one of the automatic tools like Simbrief etc.

I’m no pro, but that’s my general process/thoughts.

2 Likes

Fpltoif.com takes a lot of the guess work out of the equation. It uses the express version of Simbrief and works out well for me.

2 Likes

@ActnJaksn239 I hadn’t tried that tool yet but it’s super nice! I’m going to use it to check against my work. I did notice that it recommended about 200 more kg in fuel than I planned for in my KLEX-KBHB segment. I had about 30-40 min of fuel left when I landed. Thanks for the resource!