[COMPLETED] @Skybear's TBM-930 World Tour Log

Disregard. Made it out barely: Flying challenge at BGBW while the conditions last!

BGBW to BIRK Screenshots and Notes

After a quick challenge to the community, I set off for Reykjavik (BIRK). Taking off at Narsarsuaq (BGBW) was an absolute bear (no pun intended). Set trim to -100% to keep the nose down, decided to let the wind push me down the runway because it was gusting 50kts, and made sliding takeoff (somehow just feet off the ground but not over the runway).

A third of the way through the flight, the turbulence finally broke and it was a smooth flight into BIRK. After some planning I’ll be off to EGAD in Northern Ireland.

1 Like

Reykjavik (BIRK) to County Down, Northern Ireland (EGAD)

BIRK Information
EGAD Information
Weather Information via Windy

Planned Route via FPLtoIFR

BIRK 6408N/2156W 6401N/2138W 6405N/2146W METIL 6335N/1939W RATSU BARKU BEN GOW TRN 5500N/503W BLACA BEL EGAD

Departure BIRK
Arrival EGAD
Distance 897nm
Cruise FL290@M0.53
Climb 170/40
Descent 2000
Fuel 753kg (4.6h)
Flight Time 2:45

1 Like

Reykjavik (BIRK) to County Down, Northern Ireland (EGAD) Screenshots and Notes

I’ve made it to Mainland (almost anyway) Western Europe. That was one of two ocean crossings for this tour. I left North East Canada to Hop to Northern Ireland with fuel stops in Greenland and Iceland. All-in-all, short 3 hour hops. Next stop Innsbruck.

If I’m not mistaken, the mountain range you can see in the first photo on the second row are the Mourne Mountains. Definitely a place worth hiking if you ever find yourself in Northern Ireland.

2 Likes

County Down, Northern Ireland (EGAD) to Innsbruck (LOWI)

EGAD Information
LOWI Information
Weather Information via Windy

This will be my first flying between the mountains approach on this journey so I decided to check FPLtoIF’s automated flight plan against Skyvector and the actual STAR chart and everything looks good. I’ll definitely have to exercise altitude awareness but this should be a fun approach and hopefully a great chance to record some video.

Approach Notes

• XEBIX at 13000
  • ELMEM at 13000
  • HDG 90 to LOWI from ELMEM
  • 32nm from ELMEM to LOWI
  • LOWI elev. 1907 ft MSL

Planned Route via FPLtoIF

EGAD NELBO MASOP 5402N/402W REMSI SOGPO OTSOP KOREV COL MONAX TUSUK RIDSU ABUKA SUNEG TEDGO UTABA MOMUK BEMKI 4725N/1028E XEBIX ELMEM 4720N/1151E LOWI

Departure EGAD
Arrival LOWI
Distance 856nm
Cruise FL290@M0.53
Climb 170/40
Descent 2000
Fuel 757kg (4.6h)
Flight Time 2:57

1 Like

EGAD to LOWI Screenshots and Notes

This has been my favorite flight yet in IF. Navigating the mountains and flying in under blue skies was perfect! LOWI would be a really fun airport to practice touch and goes. It would also be a great place to run charter flights 😉. I’m sure I’ll be spending some significant time here in IF. Loved the feel of flying in.

1 Like

Innsbruck (LOWI) to Makedonia (LGTS)

Departure Arrival Dist Flight Time
LOWI LGTS 245nm 800nm
Cruise Climb Descent Fuel
FL290@M0.53 170/40 2000fps 738kg (4h)
Planned Route via Skyvector Weather via Windy
LOWI WI528 WI529 WI531 WI521 RTT Y107 BAKOR N503 VIC L12 LUMAV Z982 ANC L612 VIE Q920 GOKEL M603 KAS UM603 EDASI LADAD LGTS Thunderstorms along the way. Severe turbulence above FL180 when approaching KAS VOR waypoint.
2 Likes

@Skybear. MaxSez: Watching, impressive planning, graphics & accompanying dialog tell the tail. Well Done this far. “”Continue the March”. Max Sends

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m seriously impressed at what you can do on an iPad with a flight sim these days. Superb mental challenge.

2 Likes

Innsbruck (LOWI) to Makedonia (LGTS) Screenshots and Notes

Flying the 930 in IF has been an absolute blast! Fly high to get a birds eye view at FL290, fly low to get some great horizon shots. This was on my LOWI-LGTS leg. The Aegean sea below and Pierian mountains on the horizon. LGTS has an interesting ILS approach in that you fly a radius from the Thessaloniki VOR to enter finals.

Morning takeoff from Innsbruck with the sun rising over the Alps. I especially like the technical arrivals and departures into this airport. In fact, I like them so much that I’m going to form MVAO (Mountains Virtual Aviation Organization). I decided to go ahead and create a placeholder for it today at http://m-vao.org.

Hitting the coastline of Greece (I’ve done some post-processing of all my screenshots with Pixelmator).

And for good measure, here are a few more sights along the way. Off to

2 Likes

Makedonia (LGTS) to Tbilisi (UGTB)

I’ve changed up the route a bit. I was originally going to head to Damascus and then Dubai but have now opted to route through Georgia and Turkmenistan. This will give me a more direct course to Kathmandu where I’ll take a day trip up to Lukla (Everest Base Camp). The mountains will be huge and gorgeous in this area. Mt. Everest happens to be 29,029’ tall. Nothing like looking at a mountain at FL290.

LGTS UGTB 1010nm 3:30
FL290@M0.53 170/40 2000fps 738kg (4h)
LGTS ARNAS3B ARNAS ALX EKI UW702 BKZ UW702 INB UW90 SIN UN644 KARDE UN644 ROLIN KTS M737 LOBIN B143 BT B143 GIMUR DF4B UGTB VFR conditions at DPT and ARR airports. Rear crosswind at FL290.

Makedonia (LGTS) to Tbilisi (UGTB) Screenshots and Notes

Nothing too eventful on this leg of the trip and I suspect that will be the case for the next leg. Here are a few screenshots from along the way.

2 Likes

Tbilisi (UGTB) to Ashgabat (UTAA)

UGTB UTAA 670nm 2:30
FL290@M0.53 170/40 2000fps 574kg (3.5h)
UGTB LAMUS4A LAMUS ADEKI LEYLA RODAR A909 TUGTA A909 KEKAL A87 MAMED A87 ASB UTAA Thunderstorms near the departing and arrival airports. Should have a descent tailwind along the way.
2 Likes

Tbilisi (UGTB) to Ashgabat (UTAA) Screenshots and Notes

I’m officially through the Europe section of this world tour and have landed in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan. You can see the Caspian sea in the screenshot above.

Flying just northwest of Baku before heading over water.

1 Like

Ashgabat (UTAA) to Delhi (VIDP) Flight Plan

UTAA VIDP 1133nm 3:3 5
FL290@M0.53 170/40 2000fps 820kg (5h)
UTAA KEM30D KEMOR A125 BELUG A125 NINOP B475 DAVET P173 TAPIS M875 NITIV M875 BUTOP DPN VIDP Thunderstorm SIGMET at UTAA but looks like VFR conditions at VIDP. Flight will favor a tailwind most of the way.
1 Like

Ashgabat (UTAA) to Delhi (VIDP) Notes

Not a lot to see in the darkness. I did some editing to make the 930 a little more visible in this screenshot. It was almost a completely uneventful flight except I accidentally lowered the gear during cruise. Before I could realize what had happened, I went into a stall and lost 5000’ before recovering into stable flight. I thought maybe I had planned the fuel wrong and was trying to figure out what was going on before I saw the indicator lit up for the gear. AP only made things worse as it tipped the nose of the plane up increasing the stall. I finally realized I needed to disable AP, point the nose down to gain speed and it was only after several seconds that I realized the gear was down, making it almost impossible to recover, and then finally raised the gear so I could regain some altitude. Making a good mental note of this incase I unknowingly lower the gear again.

Anyway, I’m now in India and looking forward to the next 3 airports of this tour. I believe they’ll be my favorites, Kathmandu, Lukla, and then an airport high in the Tibetan Prefecture. I wish the third airport existed in IF but it doesn’t. It’s a an airport in wonderful Shangri La, China. I’ve settled for flying to a Lijiang about 180km/97nm to the south. I plan on plotting a waypoint that takes me over Shangri-la.

2 Likes

Glad you got on the ground safe. Good luck on your upcoming leg!

1 Like

Delhi (VIDP) to Kathmandu (VNKT)

VIDP VNKT 467nm 1:30
FL290@M0.53 170/40 2000fps 410kg (2.5h)
VIDP SSB W37 HW ONISA MAHEN SUKET PALPA NARAN B345 KTM VNKT VFR conditions at VIDP and IFR conditions at VNKT. 70kt+ tailwind on the way.
1 Like

Delhi (VIDP) to Kathmandu (VNKT) Screenshots and Notes

Himalayan’s are in sight! I’ll be going for a jaunt to Lukla before heading off to Lijiang. If I think I can make the landing I’ll do so but if not, I’ll double back to Kathmandu. This is the approach into Kathmandu for RWY2.

More sights from this leg of the trip.

3 Likes

Side trip to Lukla (VNLK)

Flight Plan IGRIS1B KIMTI via SkyVector.

VNKT IGRIS1B KIMTI VNLK

Lukla is so close that it’s worth the effort of visiting. I’ve found these approach/departure procedures on the Flightgear Wiki (referencing an aerosoft post). I’ll take 2 hours worth of fuel (this will give me a 90 minute reserve if I need to turn around. That’s 328kg in fuel. This is a VFR flight, so I may fly until I hit the 10° radial towards Lukla (fly past KIMTI which is the 65° radial).

Approach Procedure

"…From (Khatmandu) VNKT climb to at least 13000 ft while following VOR 112.30 outbound on track 096° for about 70 nm. Now turn on terrain mode (TERR) on your GPS navigator and carefully locate the low elevation valley running north and south with VNLK on its path. Follow the valley to the north while descending to just above the airport elevation at 9100 ft. When you have the airport in sight on your right side line up with the 2500 ft asphalt runway at 60° and land… " Courtesy of forum.aerosoft.com.

If GPS isn’t your preferred method, it is just as easy to fly the 096° radial from Kathmandu, then turn north onto the 010° radial of Lamidada NDB 236 as you intersect it. This heading takes you straight into the valley to Lukla. Most aircraft will allow both these to be dialled in on seperate displays at the same time.

Make sure your descent from FL130 on the turn is made without delay, there isn’t much time before the airport appears ahead on your right. Full flaps are a must.

Departure Procedure

Depart the airfield to the South, climb toward FL130. Using Khatmandu VOR 112.3, turn west onto the 096° radial as you intersect it. Clear of the mountains, descend 7000ft. Don’t be tempted to descend any lower, as after a 6-8 min stretch without mountains, there is one more range to hop over. Once past, descend as able and prepare for an imminent landing. As the plains stretch away beneath you, the runway should become visible. If not, immediately overhead the VOR, turn north. The airfield is within a mile or two of the VOR.

1 Like