Compass Airlines (Australia) Airbus A300

Compass Airlines was Australia’s first low cost airline, founded in 1990. The airline also owned a regional subsidiary, East-West Airlines, but this was taken over by Ansett. It was limited by the Australian Government’s Two Airline Policy, meaning that only Ansett Australia and the government owned Australian Airlines (TAA) could operate domestic flights (Qantas and other Australian airlines could only operate internationally or regionally during this period). The airline operated for a few years before closing, then reopened and closed again due to the financial difficulties they had competing with other airlines, limited by the airline policy.
See a government owned Australian 737 in the background

What do you think of the airline, livery or two airline policy?

22 Likes

Wow I didn’t know this! Intreasting that Virgin didn’t win the race to be Australia’s first low cost airline. Thanks Ed

2 Likes

Definitely not one of the nicest liveries to be seen in Australia!

3 Likes

This looks nice! I love the colours!😎🇦🇺

1 Like

I’m just so annoyed the Australian government thought they could own the Australian aviation industry. Just so ridiculous, they made Compass, Qantas and Ansett suffer. Australian Airlines never had the potential to be the only airline allowed to fly domestically in Australia. And to cover themselves up, they allowed Ansett to fly domestically, although its strength was in the international industry. So Qantas went on to become the real Australian icon and serve international routes to and from Australia. And guess what? They all crashed, except for the only survivor being Qantas (they went the smart way). Terrible, how dare they.

Oh come on, the Qantas A300 was boring and plain as! Plus the shades of blue make it that much better.

2 Likes

I just don’t like the colour scheme used by Compass - it looks so dull (personal opinion).

Lol Qantas Virtual’s opinion. Who is behind that logo? 😉

2 Likes

Lets not go off-topic. 😉

There isn’t much difference between our logo and the real world Qantas’ logo - for further discussion move it to a PM

Yes yes, it was a joke. See ya 🙂

1 Like

Not as good and glamorous as the MD-83 one but still better than some liveries

2 Likes

Personally I like it better than the MD-80 livery. The blue isn’t as dark and it’s more colourful.

I agree, the blue made it look nice.

1 Like

Is an A300. It even says Airbus A300-600 on the side next to the registration.
http://www.aussieairliners.org/a300/vh-yma/vhyma.html
You must have misread the registration as VH-YMI. You can see this exact picture on the Aussie Airliners link above. “VH-YMA. Compass - in the full livery at Melbourne Airport, October 1991.”
"…operated four leased Airbus A300 (VH-YMA, VH-YMB, VH-YMJ, VH-YMK) and a single A310 aircraft (VH-YMI). Three further Airbus A300 aircraft on order in 1990 (VH-YMC, VH-YMD, VH-YME) were not taken up as a result of the failure of finance negotiations. Alternatively VH-YMJ and VH-YMK aircraft were leased from British charter carrier Monarch Airlines."

1 Like

Looks so ugly 😇

Sorry, I thought I saw little winglets there for a sec.

1 Like

They do have the little fences :-) It was a special A300.

2 Likes