Community Choice #FNF - Holiday Edition!

I present to you…

ISTANBUL! A beautiful trio of the three big boys.

Istanbul is a major city in Turkey that straddles Europe and Asia across the Bosphorus Strait. Its Old City reflects cultural influences of the many empires that once ruled here. The reason it is so interesting is its geography. It’s so unique and surprising that no one has thought of adding it! First off, the whole city is in two continents! Now that’s a cool city!

Why Istanbul area?

First of all, read above. Second of all, it is home to 3 massive airports with some sort of significance. Let’s go over them

Istanbul (Main) Airport - LTFM

This airport has been opened fairly recently but there was no celebratory event within IF sadly. Good fix! Make an overdue FNF! The airport has 1 HUGE terminal building and 4 MASSIVE parallel runways , absolutely great for photos! It is now the main hub for the big guy with most countries that they fly to: TURKISH AIRLINES! Now that gives an opportunity for flying to big destinations all over the world that are virtually undiscovered!

Credits

Sabiha Gökçen International Airport - LTFJ

Here’s big boy no. 2! Skip the Bosphorous strait to the Asian side of Istanbul, you find yourself in Sabiha Gökçen Airport. It’s Pegasus Airlines’ Home base and holds a few airlines to fly from it! Turkish Airlines of course, Emirates, Flydubai, some budget airlines, all that shebang!

Credits

Look who’s here for cargo ops! It’s
Istanbul Ataturk International Airport! - LTBA

This is maybe closed to the public, but it holds the backbone of Istanbul’s cargo. Back on the European side, it was the home of this legendary Turkish Airlines I told you about and had beautiful spotting views as you probably would have seen on some spotting videos. The airport has closed earlier this year in favour of the massive now main airport. Now it’s just the main base for Turkish Airlines Cargo, MNG Airlines. It has many destinations with Lufthansa Cargo, UPS, Ethiopian Cargo, and DHL! Still nice to include it knowing that the main airport has not seen a cargo flight yet, according to Wikipedia.

Credits

Now, Christmas may not be big in Turkey, but, still small, some Turks celebrate the new year! Perfect for this time of year!

Mutlu yıllar!

7 Likes

You missed out the pun on Daxing through the snow…

2 Likes

Here’s why you guys should make LEPA (Palma de Mallorca) the FNF destination:
It is a popular European destination during all times of the year, including the holiday season. It also has two runways, multiple frequencies, and close proximity to Spain, France, Italy, and the UK.

EFRO, Rovaniemi. Yeah only one runway and limited with parking gates. However it’s the home of Santa Claus in Lappland! During this time of the year Rovaniemi receives a ton of charter flights. Especially from the UK, London, Manchester etc.

2 Likes

Amazon, Manaus/Am, Brazil. (SBEG)Eduardo Gomes Intl Airport inbound2257235188474449207

1 Like

You gotta have more information than that fella, sorry. @Juan_Crystian

1 Like

Scandinavia themed FNF! We have four major airports, EFHK,ESSA,ENGM and EKCH. All capable of handling heavies. Whats more Christmas themed than snow, mountains and “hygge”? Furthermore, There is a Santa village in Finland, where some believe the original Santa is from.
This would open for a bunch of routes, in between the airports and from europe and the rest of the world. EFRO could be one of the main airports, while its small, It is the home of Santa Claus in the northern part of Finland.

1 Like

Come on, add more than Rovaniemi! You have Kittila, Tromso, Literally the whole Wideroe milk run, Lulea, et cetera.

1 Like

What do you mean “come on” ?I recommended Rovaniemi since that is pretty accurate for the time being now in December. Christmas is a tradition that is celebrated not everywhere but a great part of the world. In Rovaniemi there is a “Santa Claus Village” I never said only Rovaniemi, this can be combined with other airports too. I have seen a fair amount of people only recommending their home airport in here… I still think my suggestion is pretty valid given we are in December.

4 Likes

KJKA. aka Jack Edwards National Airport.

It’s a small GA airport in the city of Gulf Shores Alabama. which is my local GA airport. It would be nice as a FNF because we dont get many GA FNF’s

Does my birthday count as a holiday?

Lisbon, Portugal (LPPT)
Yes, I know, an airport that has never been featured in FNF for the history of IF! I know right! Although it might not be featured. Ok down to business.

For the holidays, I thought it would be a nice idea to feature an airport that has never been on FNF before, as people can explore the different scenery Portugal has to offer. Yes, this airport can accept Cessnas in their dedicated General Aviation sections, and yes, obviously the A350. This airport has a very nice take off from runway 21, where when you take off, you have a beautiful view of the river of Lisbon. If you wish to, you could have a straight out departure, where you will be met by the “Ponte 25 de Abril” (A bridge named after a dictator who changed Portugal forever), and “O Cristo Redentor” (Christ the Redeemer, which is a copy of the Brazilian version, however, it featured gold in it, making it a more valuable monument.) If anything, you could always come the other side of the runway, 03, and see everything before you land, or in the replay. Yes I know, wow, not off wikipedia eh? Totally didn’t put facts from my Portuguese Notebook.

For the holidays, Portugal didn’t really have an Origin of Father Christmas, but instead looked upon the 3 Kings “Os Três Reis Magos”, which is about three kings who came from three continents by camel to give presents to Jesus Christ who was about to be born. They followed the stars to Bethlehem, where they arrived and gave Presents to Jesus on January 6. This would be the time majority of Portugal would open their presents, however everyone is different, and they may open it on the 25th of December.

So sorry if this was a bit confusing, but I tried to write everything I knew without looking on the web for answers. Anyway I would love it soo much if Lisbon could be featured on FNF for the first time in IF. It would mean a lot for me and the IF Portuguese community.

Thank you all so much and I hope maybe next week, or sometime in the future people will be flying to Lisbon as a FNF :)

Diagram

uvtp_airport_image

6 Likes

PHNL – Daniel K. Inouye International Airport

7 Likes

Thank you @Manav_Suri for requesting Mumbai. I would love to see it as an FNF Airport 😁

2 Likes

Your most welcome! Would love to see VABB in action 😎

2 Likes

I think we should see KCLT and other American Airlines hubs like KORD, KDFW, and KMIA. These are very busy places during the holidays with tons of travelers going to these places for connecting flights. This would be a nice way to show off the holiday travel chaos in the US!

Warsaw Chopin Airport (EPWA) 🇵🇱

A stunning view of LOT Polish Airlines Boeing 787-9 jet coated in the Polish Flag colours, in celebration of 60 years of Polish Independence. Picture Credits taken by Karol Trojanowski.

About Warsaw Chopin Airport:

Warsaw Frederic Chopin Airport, Lotnisko Chopina w Warszawie, (IATA: WAW , ICAO: EPWA), more commonly referred to as Chopin Airport or Warsaw-Chopin Airport, is an international airport located in the Włochy district of Warsaw, Poland. As Poland’s largest, covering 834 hectares (2,060 acres) of land, and busiest airport, Warsaw Chopin handles just under 40% of the country’s air passenger traffic. Warsaw Chopin handles approximately 300 scheduled flights daily and an ever-rising number of charters. London, Chicago, Frankfurt, Paris, and Amsterdam are the busiest international connections, while Kraków, Wrocław, and Gdańsk are the most popular domestic ones. This airport is also a home to LOT Polish Airline and other Domestic Airlines such as Wizz Air.

Why would I choose EPWA as an airport for FNF?

• Warsaw Chopin Airport was not featured in FNF before.

• This Airport offers plenty of gates and two runways. Runway 33/15 (3,690m) and Runway 29/11 (2,800m).

• Home of LOT Virtual, promoting its 787, wide open destinations internationally (Asia and USA).

A Christmas Themed FNF:
Poland and the Eastern Region celebrates Christmas in a different way. They start Christmas a day earlier than anyone else and including a long dinner and different meals. I believe Eastern Europe needs more attention, to open several airports for the FNF. It would love to fly to Poland, Czech Republik, Slovakia and Hungary.

Suggested Airports

Main Hubs Secondary Hubs
EPWA (Warsaw Chopin) EPKT (Katowice Int’l)
LKPR (Prague Václav Havel) LZIB (Bratislava M. R. Stefanik)
LHBP (Budapest Ferenc Liszt Int’l) EPGD (Gdańsk Lech Walesa)
UKBB (Kyiv Boryspil Int’l) EPSC (Szczecin Goleniow)
EPBY (Bydgoszcz Ignacy Jan Paderewski)
EPWR (Wroclaw Copernicus)
EPKK (Krakow John Paul II Int’l)
EPPO (Poznan Lawica)

Dublin Airport (EIDW) 🇮🇪

An everyday view of Dublin Terminal. Picture taken by John Magero on the 9th of September 2013, back in the old times.

About Dublin Airport:

Dublin Airport (Irish: Aerfort Bhaile Átha Cliath ) (IATA: DUB , ICAO: EIDW) is an international airport serving Dublin, the capital city of Ireland. It is operated by DAA (Dublin Airport Authority). This airport is located 7 km (4.3 mi) north of Dublin, in Collinstown, near Swords, Dublin. This airport is a home base for Aer Lingus and Ryanair. It operates everyday routes to Europe, Untied States, Middle East and Asia.

Why would I choose EIDW as an airport for FNF?

• Dublin Airport was not featured in FNF before.

• This Airport offers plenty of gates and two runways. Runways 28/10 (2,637m) and Runway 34/16 (2,072m).

Runway 34/16 is never in use until runway 28 under renovation or direct winds in effect. Until today it’s used as a taxiway. You do not ask for runway 34 crossing when departing for runway 28.

• Home base for Aer Lingus VA. A great opportunity to fly with open IFATC into various of destinations into Europe or into United States. Also an opportunity to use the Aer Lingus livery on the A350. My chance to organise a group flight!

A Christmas Themed FNF:
In Ireland we celebrate Christmas just like everyone else. We hope that this Christmas, we will have Ireland and UK connected.

Main Hubs Secondary Hubs
EIDW (Dublin) EICK (Cork)
EGCC (Manchester) EINN (Shannon)
EGAA (Belfast Int’l)
EGPH (Edinburgh)
EGBB (Birmingham)
EGGS (Bristol)

I may also suggest New York JFK Airport, favourite for the Christmas theme. One of the busiest airports in the world. But since JFK was recently featured, I’ll leave this airport for another time.

Happy voting!

2 Likes

KEGE Eagle County regional and KASE Aspen pikten county airport and KDEN Denver International airport
WHY?
KEGE and KASE airports handle around 360,000 passengers a year, while KDEN handles 65 million a year.
Wonderful approach and departure. Something different from past FNF
Name/Title: Soarin High in The Mile High City

1. Popular Winter Break destination especially for skiers
  2. Great Mountain View’s
  3. KEGE and KASE serve to big cities like Denver L.a NYC Chicago and San Fran
  4. Multiple airlines fly in and out of all these airports
  5. KEGE and KASE have approach and departure frequency’s and have at least 20 combined commercial gates and a ton of GA gates
  6. Denver has 8 runways and has two sets of parallel runways and has multiple approach and departure frequencies
  7. Denver hasn’t seen a FNF in quite some time
  8. Located in the heart of America
  9. Gateway to the rest of America
  10. Perfect for The holidays
6 Likes

Good luck finding someone willing to open up Aspen approach 😂

2 Likes

Let’s do Ben Gurion Airport (LLBG) in Tel Aviv! It is in the heart of Israel where Jesus Christ was born!

1. First of all, this is a great choice because we can visit where Jesus Christ was born.
  2. It’s has a beautifully designed runway pattern.
  3. There are many routes to North America, Europe, Asia, and Africa.
  4. The airport also has a large number of parking gates.
  5. Hub for El Al.

God loves all of you and may God bless you in this season! And always remember Jesus is the reason for the season! May God’s שלום (Shalom) be with you! Matthew: 18-23

6 Likes