Communication among ATCs

Got a quick question here, we, ATC often communicate through FB Messenger app about what’s open and who’s on, is there a way where we can also start communication here on this forum? Maybe we could do that on the “ATC” category? What ya guys think?

1 Like

While we understand that facebook might be a bit more “interactive” (mainly because of native push notifications when participating in a thread) I do believe that this forum can be used for this.

It does require the habit of checking the forum on a regular basis until this forum supports pushing notification to Android (chrome for Android supports receiving notifications from websites even if the browser is not launched) and iOS (still waiting for Safari to support it). Desktop notification work great.

The advantage of doing this here is that we can later add cool features with an interactive map of active towers including controller name, server, etc…

4 Likes

Can’t wait to see the future of this forum. It really it looks promising. Right now I’m still browsing through all stuff I can see to get the hang of it. :D I like that idea btw, interactive map showing who’s on and all those kind of stuff. Lovely!

1 Like

On a Mac, how do you make the forum send you desktop notifications?
My settings allow notifications from Safari and requests from websites.

1 Like

if you are active on the forum or already read the post it won’t send notification. You can change your notification settings in the forum’s user preferences.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

If you use chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3220216?hl=en
Safari should have similar settings.

By default, you won’t get notifications if you are active on the site (you can change that in the user preference of the forum).

1 Like

I have used Messenger to talk with other contollers I am engaged with. For example if one is on ground and the other on tower, we will talk ‘live’ using messenger about when to have a plane cross a runway, where to send them, etc.

Do you use Messenger on the same device or do you have it open somewhere else (on your laptop/desktop, another device)? I can’t imagine having to go back and forth between IF and facebook on the same device being very convenient when there is a lot of traffic. Maybe there is something we can do better there.

1 Like

I usually do different device. It’ll crash if I switch too many times on iPad.

No. You are absolutely right. Using he same device currently would never work. I use my iPad Air for IF and will be on Messenger with my iPhone 6+.

Having that live chat between controllers is a very nice thing and improves the experience. I think we would also find it useful in coordinated handoffs from approach to tower, at least when people are new and don’t get the roles fully.

1 Like

I don’t know if this forum is good for chat. We definitely need something in IF to ease communication between controllers.

That being said, you can always create a topic for each event and invite ppl to communicate in the comments and we can see how that works.

Is there anyway for us to hear the other frequency? If I’m on ground, I like being able to hear what the tower is doing. It’s randomly happened before, but I can’t get it consistently.

I think you would have to log in as an observer on that frequency but I’m not sure.

yup i agree…

I was doing ATC at KLAX Tower South and the north controller was messing with my traffic flow by landing planes on 25R instead of the currently active 25L. I would have liked to communicate with him to let him know that he should use 24R for his arrivals.