Commercial Checkride

If you’ve paid any attention to my bio, you’ll know that it has said “almost comm” for over a year. Well, my long and hard training journey came to an end this morning with a successful checkride. Im officially a Commercial Pilot!

48 Likes

Congrats!! Give us the debrief! How’d it go, anything trip you up, what did you crush? That’s a great accomplishment 🎉

1 Like

Congratulations! This is huge!

1 Like

Went well. About overshot the power off 180, but i put a slip in just soon enough in order to stay within FAA ACS standards.

2 Likes

Short field was excellent, nailed my point. My soft field was a touch hard, but safe. I kept the nose wheel off the ground which was satisfactory.

I nailed steep turns(hit my own wake turbulence at the end of both turns) and Eights on pylons(figure 8 on the flight map).

Power on and power off stalls were standard Private stuff, and the accelerated stall wasnt too bad. Just make sure you’re high enough when you do them if your going into checkride.

4 Likes

Congratulations I am very happy for you How does it feel to enter the aviation world and too soon be flying commercially

1 Like

Flying for the airlines is another certificate, i know, its confusing. But ill get there eventually.

Awesome! Congratulations on the incredible achievement!

1 Like

are you going to work for regional airlines?

1 Like

Congrats! What airline are u going to fly for? and what aircraft?

1 Like

So amazing! Congrats!

1 Like

Congratulations! Working towards my commercial check ride now. Those power off 180s are something

1 Like

@Lingling89 and @CaptAviation Reigonal airlines require an ATP (airline transport pilot) certificate in the US. That requires at least 1000 hours (for part 141 graduates) or 1500 for part 61.

I will earn that later on.

Yes, they are quite difficult. They require a mix of skill and luck.

There are three things that really helped me master them

1. Keep your patterns consistent. Doesnt matter if your doing a normal, short, soft, or power off 180 accuracy landing your pattern should be the same(obviously the base is tighter if the winds are stronger, but the principle is the same)

2. Constantly evaluate your position (height, and speed) and ask yourself, how do i look, am i high/low, too fast/too slow, etc.

3. Talk your way through the maneuver. It really helped me to verbalize my thoughts from entering the pattern to touchdown. For example: power coming out now, 1000 footers are my point for this procedure. Continuing on downwind am i high/low fast/slow or just right i think im a bit high and slow so ill let my nose drop a bit. (Depending on the winds, pilot discretion) turning base now. Im looking a bit low so im not putting in flaps quite yet, speed is on target, glideslope is coming back up time to put in flaps 10, ive made the runway… (continue until you finish the maneuver)

The most important thing to remember on power off 180s is airspeed/glideslope management. If you are constantly evaluating and checking each aspect of the manuever you are more likely to hit the point you specify.

Last thing ill mention, remember the difference between your aiming point and your intended touchdown point. You should keep your aiming point on the same spot in your windscreen all the way down until you level off/flare. In the C172 if your going for the 1000 footers, the third centerline stripe should be your aiming point.

I hope this helps!

3 Likes

What’s your next move? CFI or trying to build for 135 mins

1 Like

Congrats! See you in the skies ✈️

1 Like

Im going for CFI and CFII. After CFII ill get my multi and build hours.

1 Like

It’s a great help, thank you! My setup is pretty good so far, just a matter of fine tuning it so I can be sure to make my point.

1 Like

I wish you the best! Practice makes perfect

Congrats bro

1 Like