Commercial Airline Pilot

I’m interested in possibly becoming an airline pilot when I get older. Are there any commercial pilots on this forum that could tell me their experiences? I’m one a freshmen but I would like to know now rather than later;) Thanks!!

1 Like

Hey Ben !

There are many commercial pilots that play Infinite Flight and that are on this community …

I’m not a pilot so I won’t give any advice but let’s hope they see this post :)

2 Likes

I would love to see some commercial airline pilots respond to this.

2 Likes

which country do you live in?

I live in America

Not sure how the US system works but I know that if you aren’t part of CTC or Oxford in Europe you are likely to struggle to find a job after.

1 Like

Aernout is an A380 pilot, PM him and he´ll inform you.

2 Likes

Alright I will… Ty

@Aernout may know some stuff.

1 Like

@PH-AJO and @Heavydriver too.

4 Likes

I’m interested aswell. Isn’t Matt a pilot?

1 Like

I don’t think so but I might be wrong

I believe he’s a pilot, but not commercial.

1 Like

The American way is completely different as the European way, especially when getting a first job as in Europe you can get straight on a jet.

Best would be to get in touch with @Heavydriver indeed.

1 Like

The American way is evolving a bit. JETBLUE now has an ab initio program like the European airlines where you pay 125k and they take you from 0 hours to JETBLUE FO I’m 15 months. Traditionally you would have to go to a local flight school and take flying lessons after being medically cleared. Your first pilot certificate is your student pilot license which assures your instructor a clean bill of health and desire to learn. You will either enrol in a Part 61 course which is taught by an instructor but has no structures syllabus by which lessons are performed. You can also enrol in a part 141 flight school which has a structured syllabus which must be followed and is approved by the FAA. Both produce the same results as the license doesn’t change based on course but traditionallyrics a 141 program will be cheaper.

Once you obtain your PVT, most progress into their Instrument rating and Commercial cross countries. The Commercial cross countries are usually done before the IR is obtained. After finishing the IR one will finish their commercial single engine rating allowing them to work for hire. This doesn’t mean you can start charging family to fly it just means an employer can use you know for pilot services. At this point is where many take different paths. For me multi-engine was my next focus with my flight instructor ratings following shortly after. Some “need” the additional income that instructing brings in don’t hey opt for instructor license first. There’s not right or wrong way just depends ofln your preference.

When I obtained all my ratings you could get hired with 250 hours totals time aND 50 multi into a regional airline as a first officer. To think about how scary that is now baffles me but there are some who have the “right stuff” pun intended. Now in the US a but of time building has to be done before you can get hired with an airline. I went a different route than ml osteoporosis as I enjoyed instructing thus was never in a rush to be a 250 hour first officer flying the “big iron”. My first jet experience I had 1700 hourso and 900 of that was flying a heavy turbo prop. However back on topic, now in the US due to many different factors but primarily the crash in Buffalo you are required 1500 hours of flight time before you can get hired with a 121 airline. This time is reduce able if you attend anot aviation college or university to 1000 due to the rigorous curriculum.

Personally I think the higher time is a good thing as it brings more experience to the flight deck. There are those that will argue "what will 1250 hours of flight instructing bring that a 250 hour pilot doesn’t have, experience! You’ll learn a lot about yourself and flying through teaching others and taking risk that normally you wouldn’t take.

“Pilots start their careers with a bag full of luck and and empty bag of wisdom. The key is to fill the bag of wisdom before the bag if luck runs out”

Hope this answered your questions. Feel free to ask more

12 Likes

Thank you very much!

If you don’t get taken on with an airline it’s not worth starting your training seems like the same as Europe then.

MaxSez: If a Commercial Pilot Career is your goal save a lot of bucks and consider the military aviator pipe line. The best way to become a U.S. military pilot is to prepare academically, physically and mentally before applying for aviation selection and training. Generally, U.S. military pilots need to possess at least a four-year college degree before commencement of aviator training. Army warrant officer helicopter pilots don’t need a college degree, but must score highly on the army’s aviator aptitude test.

3 Likes

If you love flying you don’t do it just to get hired in with an airline. Flying comes from the heart and those that posses that will and desire will always succeed. Those that view it as “if you don’t get hired why do it” are better suited for a different career because aviation is unforgiving!

2 Likes

Max brings up a good point. If the financial aspect is holding you back look at the Airforce reserves or national guard. NAVY and Marines you’re a soldier first and above all thus their philosophy of pilot training is a bit different. Although “not” considered military the coast Guard is another great way to fly and protect your homeland at the same time. I have nothing against the army as 3 of my friends are west point grads and two went Helo and served in Afghanistan but, they’ll tell you that flying helo’s in the army while fun is political. Once you’re an officer your flying career is short before you rank up and out of flying all together.

I’m still a huge proponent of civilian flying as the career path since any military route will be 10 years minimum commitment after training is complete and there’s a lot that can happen in the industry in those 10 years.

Once again best of luck

4 Likes