[Coming Soon] Fly-by-Wire | Mobile Yoke and Joystick

Fly-by-Wire

Icon-App-60x60%403x

Mobile Yoke and Joystick for iPhone

Mobile flight simulation is a revolution - the world in the palm of your hand. Fly-by-Wire is a mobile yoke and joystick to add that extra bit of realism and help you grease that next landing.

Fly-by-Wire is a third-party add-on for the popular mobile flight simulator Infinite Flight. Fly-by-Wire allows your phone to function as a yoke or joystick, along with a full set of flight controls. Simply turn it on, connect it, and off you go.

The Yoke

The Yoke setting features all the commands you could need to safely fly your plane from a separate device. These include:

• Accelerometer-based pitch and roll
  • Throttle control (with reverse thrust)
  • Flaps
  • Spoilers
  • Lights
  • Short-press to cycle camera and long-press to cycle the HUD
  • Camera movement
  • On-screen rudder
  • Gear
  • Brakes
  • Stick-shaker stall-warning
  • Automatic autopilot activation in case of a disconnect

PNG

The Joystick

The Joystick setting is more simplistic, but it allows for an unprecedented variety of flight; devoting one hand to the flight controls and leaving the other free to tend to on-screen actions.

• Accelerometer-based pitch, roll, and yaw
  • Brakes
  • Short-press to cycle camera and long-press to cycle the HUD
  • Camera movement
  • Stick-shaker stall-warning
  • Automatic autopilot activation in case of a disconnect

More Information

For more information such as Setup and Tutorials, Contact Information, and Pricing, visit us at our website or at flybywire.app

Please note that features displayed in this post are not final and subject to change.

Thank you

I want to extend a huge thank you to @Cameron. Without his help, advice, and answers to my endless questions I would not have made it half as far as I have.

I also want to thank my beta team (@Laura, @Cameron, @Tyler_Shelton, @MishaCamp, @JoshFly8, @GHamsz, @AdamCallow, @RAH, @THE-OP, @DeerCrusher, @Levet, @Dillon_Lewis, @Trio, and @CaptSnilloc). They’ve been providing great feedback throughout the whole process of building this app and have been incredibly helpful.

Personal

I first got the idea for this app over the summer. I’m a glider pilot, so I’ve only flown aircraft that have control sticks – never a yoke. Flying on Infinite Flight while using a tablet or phone is amazing, but it wasn’t what I was used to. With no knowledge of networking or Swift, and only two semesters of computer science under my belt, I set out to build a mobile joystick.

I’ve learned a ton along the way. Plenty of it was about programming, but I’ve also learned a lot about planning and what it takes to actually make an app. This idea has changed plenty since I began – initially I was only going to build a joystick, the idea of a yoke hadn’t crossed my mind when this entered beta. It’s been a lot of fun getting to this point, and I can’t wait to see where it goes after this!

53 Likes

Wow well done, Tom. I will definitely be using this 🙃

2 Likes

Exciting! Using my joystick with LiveFlight has been a bit laggy recently, so I’m excited to try this out. It might end up working better than the joystick, who knows…

2 Likes

Very excited about this one. Great job, Tom! 👏

2 Likes

👏🏻 You all are going to like it, it is so cool!

3 Likes

This is the one thing I have wanted from an app since global was released. I never thought it was possible until now, and from the unlikeliest of people (no offence) bravo and I can’t wait to see what it’s like to use!

3 Likes

Awesome work Tom! Cool to see how the Connect API is being used :)

2 Likes

I truly believe folks will enjoy using FbW and will have fun with it. It adds a new sense of realism especially when using the joystick function. 🙂

3 Likes

This is something I’ve wanted to see for years, glad to see it will happen

1 Like

There’s so much potential to Do cool things with it! I can’t wait to see what cool things other people come up with.

2 Likes

Great job, Tom. I throughly enjoy using the app and fully believe others will as well. I concur with Deer, FbW adds more realism to your sim experience. To those who always complain/long for more realism, this will be a great app to add to your simming experience.

1 Like

I think this will be awesome! I can’t wait to use this with IF.

1 Like

Looks incredible! Can’t wait to get my hands on it!

1 Like

What I love as much if not even more than the app itself is the personal part of this post/idea.

It goes to show that it doesn’t matter what your skill set is coming in you can turn an idea into reality. If you have that idea and want to make a difference you can take the time to learn and seek the appropriate people who can help. And from there use their teachings, take the constructive feedback, keep pushing and make your idea even better.

Good work, Tom on not only coming up with an idea, but for following through and learning a ton on the way and in the future. Can’t wait to try this out. Job well done, and good work with not only the app but for setting an example. Inspirational for some of us in our community, I’m sure.

4 Likes

Why does everything have to be on iOS tho…

2 Likes

I was finishing up my first computer science class when I discovered Infinite Flight and the IFC. It took a year for me to take a second class, and the following summer (this past summer) I came up with this idea.

If there’s any advice I can give to people with an idea who are new to programming, it’s this: Solve/learn one thing at a time, and ask for help. It took me a week to get motion sensing working, and another week to figure out how to calibrate. It was another two months before I managed to get the Connect API working. Pick a problem, figure out how to get it working, and repeat! The help I received while working on this was invaluable in solving those problems. Many people will be glad to help, and there’s plenty of stuff to get you started online!

2 Likes

So I can have this on my phone and can use it to land the plane on my IPAD!!! Cool

I’m so exited! This is going to be awesome!! Definitely will get. I have litterally wanted this for so long.

This is going to be amazing! @tomthetank will you be able to hold larger phones (thinking my iPhone XS Max) “sideways” or will the screen still have to face you?
Edit: pic to demonstrate-a thumb for camera mode etc.

That’s a fair question.

The simple answer is that I have a couple Apple devices and no Androids, which really made the decision easy for me.

Apple loves if you use Swift, a programming language developed by Apple for apps specifically. You can also use Objective-C or a couple others. This doesn’t really overlap with Android which supports Java, C++, and others.

2 Likes