Colorblind Pilots

**Skip “Background” if one already is educated on colorblindness

Background

I was thinking about this earlier, and until I played this Simulator, I never really understood why pilots can't be colorblind.

When I was six years old, I was diagnosed with mild/moderate protan vision, commonly referred to as red-green colorblindness. Since then, it didn't make my life worse per say (Lord knows there are way worse problems in the world right now than being colorblind), just more annoying in some details, such as whenever someone notices I mistake red for brown, I say I'm colorblind, then they go into asking a series of "What color is this?" Questions, which can really tick me off at times. (just a piece of advise, if you ever meet/find out a person is colorblind, do not ask them that question. It is considered both rude and annoying).

Until I was six, I always wanted to be a pilot, until the day that the unfortunate news cam and broke my heart. It disappeared into the back of my mind, and then came back about six months ago, when I discovered the Air Force granted exceptions to non-severe colorblind applicants. However, this is very rare.

Topic

If this game is truly realistic (it sure does look like it), then through my eyes, I would think that one would not allowed to be an ATC, and pilots would be fine. I had no trouble differentiating the runway lights, or any lights, when I flew a plane. The ATC however, I could not differentiate the ATC vs. the planes in the transcript.

I would like to know what your guys' stance is on this topic. Should people with colorblindness be able to fly? Should they be able to work ATC? Please leave your comments or questions below, I am really excited to see what you guys think!

5 Likes

It depends, I mean because you can see most colours it makes sense to me that you could apply for a license. If you were totally colourblind, probably not. But what is the difference in flying a plane while colourblind rather than not? Do you need to see the colours of some signs or something? (Sorry that I don’t know much about this topic)

1 Like

If you are talking about being colorblind and attempting to obtain your PPL or become an ATCO in real life, that won’t happen.

Maybe they are afraid you cant see the PAPI.

Either way, i never discourage anyone to try anything. So if you think you can qualify, try some online tests or something first. If you feel confident, get a medical review and memo from a trusted specialist.

Of course, print the legislation that states the criteria of being colorblind so your doctor knows what to look for and tests.

Then, apply for that position. Be upfront and honest about the application.

However, keep a low expectation and know that you understand of the chance of a rejection. Even with a 99% chance of failure, there is 1% of success.

Best wishes to your dreams =)

…can’t see it easily

That’s okay. The name is pretty misleading. In some situations, red and brown get confused, green and brown, sometimes blue with purple, and very occasionally light blue with pink. I think on some planes the altitude MSL is red and the Altitude AGL is green (or vise versa) which is only confusing to me in the Cessna (from the cockpits I’ve seen).

imageThat’s not true. At least the ATC in the Air force says there is no normal color Vision requirement.

As long as safety is not compromised I don’t have an issue.

Thanks for the support!

1 Like

That would be under medical standards.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.