Cockpit or HUD

Cockpit or HUD - I normally takeoff using “cockpit” view but I cannot land decently without the use of the “hud”. I very rarely use APPR - hand flying my approach is much more satisfying and I really would like to land in “cockpit” view but zooming in on the instruments restricts my view of the runway. Any tips or tricks would be much appreciated. Thanks all.

16 Likes

Hey! Maybe try using the HUD + cockpit view. You can do this by going to your cockpit view and then going to systems and tap on HUD. You can then configure it in a few different ways. I fly on my phone, so this is a great way to mock a live cockpit. However, I usually just fly with the second HUD view that can pan around.

7 Likes

I prefer HUD, it gives precise landing and takeoffs… Cockpit can be used in between the flight :)

4 Likes

The A3** series I struggle to land in cockpit view but 737 and 777-200 view I can land perfectly fine. The View on the 737 - 777-200 seems higher up and makes it easier to land in my opinion

3 Likes

I use HUD view on takeoffs and landings only because it’s impossible to read the numbers (like IAS and altitude) in cockpit view on my phone. If I had a tablet I would probably use cockpit view exclusively.

5 Likes

Cockpit always

2 Likes

Cockpit view no hud in the C172, 737 family, A350, and 772

4 Likes

I use the cockpit on planes that have live cockpit, but I use HUD with other planes. Sometimes (but not always) I’ll use a combo of the two — like on airliners with a live cockpit. But with GA planes like the XCub, I always use cockpit by itself. The HUD lets me fly and land smoothly, but the cockpit is more satisfying — especially after hand-flying for a long flight.

3 Likes

Cheers for that tried and tested and safe method. Used many times but slightly takes away the realism. Thanks tho 👍

2 Likes

Cheers Declan - how do you manage the glide scope rate of decent without being able to see the “purple triangle”. Pure guesswork or what? 🤗😂

3 Likes

I use both.

3 Likes

I use both, when visibility is good I use cockpit instruments

1 Like

IF: forced to use HUD
An other iOS flight sim: cockpit 100%

2 Likes

HUD:

• Only when I haven’t flown awhile and need to re-train my “2D Runway perception” lol.
  • During events so I don’t look like a fool when landing (and still mess it up anyway).
  • When I’m not feeling confident AND the aircraft actually has it in real life.

Cockpit View no HUD:

• Whenever I’m feeling like a badass pilot and flown so much on one plane that I’m familiar with its temperament inside out…

Maintaining that green PAPI out front while glancing down from time to time to check on that glide slope needle can be quite thrilling.

By the way, does anyone know why IF has an option to turn off FPV? Don’t they have FPVs in real life HUDs?

3 Likes

I use the cockpit view but enable the HUD on top of it.

1 Like

Guesswork mostly tbh 😂. I’d switch over to HUD momentarily to check it but mostly by the Papi lights

1 Like

i depend on APPR for my life lol. Wish I had skill :/

1 Like

Thanks for that Ed…guess I need to practice on solo and be patient. 🤗😊

1 Like

If you’re playing on a small screen it really hard to not use the hud for landing, but on a larger screen I find it easier, anyways takes practice like everything in life ;)

1 Like

🤗😂No names mentioned…thanx.