Cockpit landing

Cockpit view landing seems very tough, without Flight path vector in PFD…if someone have something to share, please go ahead!

6 Likes

Challenging for me too! I rarely use the virtual cockpit for landings and usually use HUD instead.

Im not the greatest to ask.

4 Likes

It’s difficult to get used too, but with the new free cam option that will follow the aircraft, maybe now landing in cockpit view using the live cockpits will become slightly easier as you would be able to get a better view

5 Likes

It can be hard… it just takes practice and it depends on the aircraft for me at least. I usually go cockpit view plus small hud or no hud if it’s a live cockpit

3 Likes

Why I started with single engine first

1 Like

It’s tough at the start but as u do more landings, u ll get used to it. I only use the hud for aircraft without live cockpit :)

4 Likes

Just Practice and you become good, I never use HUD on Live Cockpit planes

3 Likes

Not everyone is going to be a Capt. Sully at first. Practice makes perfection. If you get use to it and statt getting more practice and reps with it youll see in less than no time youll become good at cockpit landings

4 Likes

Just be patient and practice more. I started practicing this on solo flights or uncontrolled airports to gain confidence and avoid crashing on other pilots.

Make sure you are stable on your approach and calibrate before disabling autopilot. Check the airport weather so you could anticipate the behavior of your plane when landing. Concentrate more on the PFD and try to stay locked on the localiser and glideslope. At the same time, keep checking your speed and pitch.

1 Like
2 Likes

Heyy @vaibhav_singh as a lot of pilots just said, practice makes you perfect. I perfectly agree with it.

But I’m gonna be one pilot who can’t do landings without the cockpit. But there’s a catch, I don’t use the live cockpit for my landings. I simply use my HUD display for the flight path vector. As they said, I’ve been doing this from the beginning, that is, from the past 5 years and now (not boasting) I do 90% of my landings lesser than 250 fpm.

Just practice with the live cockpit with your HUD open at the approach, and you’ll be good to go!

1 Like

I will try to weigh in without repeating what has been said:

As practice makes oerfect Inwould recommend you to fly a few approaches with ILS guidance or even watching APPR do the job once in a live cockpit, so you get a feeling how everything has to be/look like. I needed some (many) patterns to get used to it, but using live cockpit without HUD is one of the most realistic and rewarding experiences in IF.

1 Like

Hi, @Arjun_Taneja, enabling HUD in cockpit view can be done, but I’m talking about real time scenario, I feel that IF should add flight path vector or atleast glide path beam and localiser bean into their PFDs of love cockpit aircraft atleast. Landing with HUD is comparatively easy coz you know where your plane is heading. Same goes to in gusty or heavy crosswind condition…it’s almost impossible to land plane from cockpit view without even enabling HUD.

1 Like

With the aircraft that have live cockpits, once you have things correctly setup it should be pretty easy to fly while in the cockpit. It even creates a better feeling of actually controlling the aircraft in my opinion.

Aircraft without the live cockpit though, you still can with the proper instrument readings such as IAS, GS, AGL altitude, and others set on the lower bar of the main screen.

4 Likes

team HUD wya?

You can’t fly ILS without HUD.

you should try single engine first, its a little easyer in the single engines, also try it on solo first.

I believe if I’m not mistaken, you can on the live cockpit aircrafts. This is why I made a distinction between live cockpit aircraft and non live cockpit aircraft.

You have the primary flight display which gives you your ILS.

5 Likes

Everything you need is in that live cockpit if you have your status bar set up nicely. just keep the runway between your “legs” and maintain a consistent descent rate (pitch for airspeed). At 30ft agl I go power idle and slowly round out for the ground. You can use Alt AGL on your status bar to help you out and you’ll eventually get a good feel for it

2 Likes

The LOC/GS deviation indicators in the live cockpit can set up for ILS

1 Like