CLOSED @The_Real_Plane_Spott...WIN's..MaxQuiz: Stalls Type Examples: Describe them and Win a Max BZ Flag

MaxSez: Suggest Read today’s “What’s it, Stall” Topic First!

Below find Five (5) STALL Types, describe them accurately in your own words for the Lorals;

(10 min response delay for answers from Grade 4/5 and Regulars)

Quiz: Describe Three (3) of the following Stall Types:

1. Accelerated Stall

2. Departure Stall (Power On)

3. Arrival Stall (Power Off)

4. Falling Leaf Stall

5. Cross Control Stall

Good Luck, MaxSends

7 Likes
  1. Accelerated Stall= Stalling straight up, down. Usually caused by rough control inputs.
  2. Departure Stall= When a pilot pitches up too high during takeoff, causing a stall due to insufficient speed
  3. Arrival Stall= Essentially the stall speed which an aircraft can still be controlled at during landing- otherwise known as flaring, or the speed at which you flare at.
  4. Leaf stall= when an aircraft is stalling at wings level, which then the aircraft starts yawing and spinning.
  5. CC Stall= When a pilot puts too much lower rudder, and the aircraft enters a flat spin. Stop this by forward elevator and opposite rudder
2 Likes

Note that these stalls occur at speeds greater than the typical stall speed. Rough banks/nose up inputs at higher speed create higher g force loads on the wings. There isn’t enough air flowing over the wings to create necessary lift.

These can also occur on final approach if the pilot is coming in too flat and/or with an improper power setting.

Loving the 10 minute response delay for regulars. Petition to make that a new rule!

3 Likes

I will second that as a new rule!

1 Like

Although to be fair, I am but a lowly member, so it won’t really effect me :) :| :(

1 Like

Accelerated stall: A stall that happens at a high speed. For example through excessive maneuvering etc. This causes the g forces to increase, and in turn make the wing unable to create the necessary lift

Departure stall: When taking off and pitching the nose too high, thus makes the wing lose lift, and in turn stall.

Arrival stall: Let’s say you’re on approach, and below the localizer, or in general too low. If you pitch up the nose without increasing power, you will eventually enter a stall, which in this case is an arrival stall.

Falling leaf stall: Stall with wings level. This is when the plane usually enters a spin. The name comes from the movement the plane makes, falling from the sky without no major maneuvers, like a leaf.

Cross Control Stall: When controls are crossed. Lets say you’re banking the plane to the right using the ailerons. If you at the same time press down the rudder pedal to turn left, the controls become uncoordinated.

1 Like

Guess I just wasted 8 mins writing this :((

1 Like

@The_Real_Plane_Spott. MAXSez: You where 1st of the Finest! Well Done, BZ
IMG_1517

1 Like

Thank you :) Good Game, everyone!

1 Like

MaxSez: Everyone who responded so far do deserves recognition you were all correct.

You each have separate the men from the boys.

Here’s your Honorary Mentioned Awards!

(@emil@Will_A… No time waste here my friends. You got to show your Right Stuff! You are Aviator’s
So Saith, Sir. IF Peanut,)

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.