[Closed] Plane & Pilot: River Visual Approach and Landing Competition @ KIAD - 061700ZJUL19

Hello everyone!

The River Visual is a challenging approach that follows the Potomac River into Ronald Reagan National Airport. This weekend, Plane & Pilot will be giving talented pilots a chance to compete and see who is the best at approaching and landing in these unique circumstances! Contestants will takeoff at nearby KIAD, fly the approach, and then land on runway 19 at KDCA. They will be evaluated every step of the way for their professionalism and accuracy and the person with the highest score at the end will win. If you think you have a chance of winning this unique competition, make sure to join us! Everyone grade 3+ is welcome! Just post below and we will add you to the list.

Server: Expert

Aircraft: Any E170 or E190 series jet

Starting Airport: KIAD

Ending Airport: KDCA

Flight Time: <:10

Date / Time: 2019-07-06T17:00:00Z

Rules:

• Must use assigned aircraft, gate, and callsign.
  • Must follow all procedures listed below
  • Must obey any instructions given by our the judges on the event PM
  • Must be respectful to all contestants (i.e. running into them)
  • If any of these rules are disrespected, the pilot will be disqualified.

Procedures

• Takeoff: Spawn into your assigned gate 10 minutes before the event and do not push back until 1700Z. Runway in use will be decided by the takeoff judge right before the event. Taxi to it and take off, keeping at least 3nm between each departure.

• Approach: Start by entering into a downwind for 15, turn final for what seems like 15, then go to FERGI. From FERGI, follow the large river below until you intercept the localizer for 19 while following the altitudes and fixes indicated on the chart. Here is the approach chart, try to follow it as accurately as possible to get the most points. Do not use autopilot past fix SETOC.

• Landing: Try to maintain 3nm separation during approach and landing. After landing, exit the runway as efficiently as possible and taxi to any open gate.

Judges:

• Takeoffs will be evaluated by @Kian_Abbasi . He will be able to give up to 5 points to each contestant based on preformance in different aspects of the takeoff such as: takeoff configuration, centerline, control, and rotation.

• Approachs will by evaluated by @Airbus_737. He will give 1-5 points to each contestants based on how well they follow the approach, their speeds and altitudes, and their ability to maintain proper separation with other aircraft.

• Landings will be evaluated by me (@PlaneCrazy) and will be worth up to 5 points depending on how smooth the landing is, where the touchdown point is, how lined up the aircraft is with the centerline, and other aspects.

Prize:

The contestant who gets the highest combined total will win the event and be featured on our Instagram and Slack.

IFC Username KIAD Gate Callsign
@GlobalFlyer1 Gate C1 N101PP
@Edivan_dcds Gate C2 N202PP
@IFATC_Andrew Gate C3 N303PP
@FBWFTW Gate C4 N404PP
@Captain_Awerty Gate C5 N505PP
@Pilotdavid Gate C6 N606PP
@anon82246052 Gate C7 N707PP
@Altaria55 Gate C8 N808PP
@CaptJJ Gate C9 N909PP
@KC3DLL Gate C11 N010PP
@Devon_Mo_piedmont114 Gate C12 N111PP
@Jet_Airways_995 Gate C14 N212PP
@Rishon_R Gate C17 N313PP
@Pratik Gate C18 N414PP
@Gtmkm98 Gate C19 N515PP
@anon40902599 Gate C20 N616PP
@AlphaSeven Gate C22 N717PP
@Ryan_1872 Gate C23 N818PP
@TheFlyingGuy1 Gate C24 N919PP
@IF_Aviation1 Gate C26 N020PP
@FlyAndCrash Gate C27 N121PP
@SimpleWaffles Gate C28 N222PP
@RegencyTomb255 Gate D01 N323PP
@Captainwilliams35 Gate D02 N424PP
Gate D03 N525PP
Gate D04 N626PP
Gate D05 N727PP
Gate D06 N828PP
Gate D07 N929PP
Gate D08 N030PP

Thanks for checking out our event, we hope you can come! If you have any questions, just let us know. Please be present on the community during the event.

Event Credits

Coordinater: @PlaneCrazy

River Visual Consultant: @Airbus_737

Photographer: @Starley

Banner photo: @PlaneCrazy

Planning Team: @PlaneCrazy, @Starley, @Ryan_Vidad , @Peter_S, @Mattheus, @Kian_Abbasi

20190509_204439 | 20190509_204401 | 20190509_204418 | 20190509_204510
18 Likes

I’ll take a gate! Seems like a fun event!

1 Like

Sign me up! I’ll try to be there!

1 Like

Sign me up! Wish we could fly the CRJ series. It’s a blast to fly in real life, my favorite approach as a pilot.

2 Likes

I’ll take a gate! I can’t promise I’ll be there since it is my father’s birthday but give me a gate please! Knowing me I’ll butter it up… last Time I flew an E170 (except from today) I landed so hard that several changed their callsign to butter and laughed… seriously.😂😥

Even today in the E190 I flew I had to go around. That was only because of an aircraft was standstill onnthe runway at LFPG on expert!

2 Likes

I wish I could come but I will be in hilton head island in SC when this would happen. I flew into DCA a week ago and the approach into 19 was SCARY AS HECK! And especially in a 28 year old 757 without the winglets that curve up. So great choice for an event @PlaneCrazy!

1 Like

Sign me up!

1 Like

Me too lol. E jets are common there too. Can’t wait to judge you all!

Sign me in. I’m the expert at this.

1 Like

I’d like to judge the approach with @Airbus_737. I know some things about the visual that he doesn’t. 😏

@GlobalFlyer1 @Edivan_dcds @IFATC_Andrew @Ecoops123 @Doonies @Pilotdavid I will add you all, good luck!

@baseball_inferno Sorry, but we only need 1 approach judge, would you like to compete instead?

1 Like

I’ll judge by myself, thanks.

Give me a gate please.

1 Like

@Airbus_737 is the official judge for this event. You are welcome to judge contestants for yourself, but your scores will not be included in the final rankings. Also, please do not post them anywhere publicly in order to avoid confusion with the real scores. Thanks!

1 Like

Gate C7 is yours, see you there!

1 Like

I’ll take a gate.

1 Like

You are all signed up, thanks for coming!

This gives me a bit of… nostalgia. 😔 I’ll be spectating though, if that’s alright with you. :)

2 Likes

I’m not sure if I can come or not yet, so we’ll see about me.

1 Like

Alright, let me know if and when you are sure you can come and I will add you:-)

1 Like