[Closed] Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals (Launch & Recovery Exercise) @ KNKX 311900ZOCT15

Server: ATC Playground

Region: Southern California

Airport: KNKX, Miramar MCAS

Day: Saturday, October 31st

Time: 1900Z, (1200T Local Pacific Time)

Aircraft Type: F-14 Tomcat, Default Configuration

Primary Objective: Familiarization with Formation Launch & Overhead Recovery procedures for fighter aircraft

##Formation Launch:##

##Overhead Recovery:##

Secondary Objective: Familiarization with Finger Four Formation & Left Echelon Formation

NOTAM: Parking locations designate formation assignments. For this exercise, #1 is in charge of the Flight Plan and leading the route, #2 is in charge of all ATC communications, #3 is in charge of formation reposition to Left Echelon, #4 stays on #3’s wing (easier said than done).

Recommend all wingmen copy #1’s flight plan for better situational awareness.

Procedures are as follows:

##Solo Practice Exercise##

Disclaimer: All procedure pics photoshopped in PowerPoint, maintaining tight formations as pictured is not expected. IF lags and skips when extremely close. Do your best to stay in position.

Feel free to prearrange Flights, Formation Assignments, and Spawn times in this thread. If there is a lot of interest, stagger flight spawn times

6 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

6 Likes

I’m in! Thanks for putting this together after our last impromptu event and following discussions!

Everyone interested: Please try out the solo exercises before the event!

1 Like

Hopefully it’s not too complicated! This is an attempt for realistic fighter ops tailored to work in IF.

If there are any questions or clarifications needed, don’t hesitate to ask.

Just would like to know how you can practice these maneuvers on the atc playground server within close vicinity to KSAN without it being considered acrobatics and a violation of some type

2 Likes

Good question… The system only recognizes the aerobatic violation when you go inverted.

The breakaway is a tight 180 degree turn to the downwind leg at a high angle of bank. You should not go inverted, and your speed should not exceed 250kts for those violations. Even practicing figure 8’s over an airfield should not trigger a violation. It is really a controlled turning/energy management exercise. Hope that answers your question :)

You also bring up a good point. Might be a good idea to practice away from those needy KSAN approach controllers. They love their on guard messages!

Also, might be worth practising on free flight until you get comfortable.

So this is the sequel to the event I did last weekend! I’m in! Air Force 72 in an F-16… If I can…

My only rebuttal is that these manuvers were originally developed by the ace dogfighting pilots of WWI and WW ll and subsequent theatres of operation for combat attack and survival…so l think they should first be practiced and honed to practical perfection on the free flight server first and then graduated to the atc servers…after sufficient proficiency is attained…

Certainly up for this. Better get training.

1 Like

I defiantly agree with that rebuttal, by all means feel free to practice on the free flight server. However, the playground is for practice as well. The odds are you wont be hassled as much in a fighter like the free flight server. That solo practice exercise is common to all aviators, not just fighter pilots.

I think I might have miscommunicated the scope of this event. This event is not a dogfighting or ACM event it is focused on the basic operations. i.e. realistic takeoff, a couple of realistic formations, and a realistic landing. “A milk run” as WWII pilots would have said.

Just trying to contribute a bit of realism to IF.

3 Likes

Mind blown.

1 Like

rumor has it there might be a flight deck marking on KNKX and KNXP runways with the next update?

2 Likes

“InfiniteFlightRumors” confirms? XD

Thank you for sharing these information! :) I will be def practicing on solo before participating! :)

1 Like

Adding a pilot perspective clip from a flight team to help clarify the overhead recovery breakaway…

If you have never tried an overhead recovery, it might be worth attempting to replicate this clip in a Super D (Palo Alto is in San Fransisco region).

Descending on your base to a short final is really scary at first, but mastering it is very rewarding. Defiantly increases your piloting skill set!

3 Likes

Highly recommended! IMO nothing more satisfying than turning in for a short base and final direct to the threshold and sticking it.

3 Likes

Yes sir, I should have added that it is okay to bring any fighter if you don’t have the F-14.

I just picked the F-14 because it’s Miramar. Plus it is very stable for any newcomers to formation flying.

1 Like

OK, Cheers mate!

3 hours til the first flight takeoff. Please review the flight plan as part of your preflight brief.

All newcomers to formation welcome. This should be a nice 30 minute introduction flight.