[CLOSED] I'm a FAA certified controller on the IFATC team..... AMA!!

Is it easier to control aircraft IRL or in IF?

2 Likes

Ok thanks!

1 Like

Much easier IRL.

2 Likes

what makes it easier IRL? BTW what airport do you work at, if I may ask?

2 Likes

I’d like to ask what’s involved in becoming a certified ATC? I’m from Australia and have been seriously considering a career change. What’d be the best place to start? Any help or advise would be much appreciated. Thanks

2 Likes

IRL we have the ability to just talk. Not everything has a certain phraseology, so in those cases we just speak as normal as possible. In IF you don’t have that luxury.

1 Like

do you think if IF had the ablitity to communicate with ppl, ATC would be easier?

2 Likes

Why aren’t you just doing this on Reddit? Lol.

While you control do you have time to do some serious plane spotting? Like just sit back and relax? Or are you constantly busy?

2 Likes

I don’t know much about ATC down under. But I imagine it reflects ours pretty closely. You have to have a certain mindset that you will not fail, be extremely open to criticism, both constructive and not constructive. You need to be smart, the amount of information you must commit to memory is outragoues and you must pull from it in a moments notice. A center controller, in one shift, will be responsible for more lives than a doctor during their entire career.

6 Likes

I’m not doing it on Reddit because the majority of forum users won’t see it and be able to interact. Plane spotting yes, but while working.

3 Likes

I’m not sure… possibly, but radio ediquatte would probably lack and become unprofessional often. Think about how people talk to each other on COD.

1 Like

true that…

How many controllers on shift, how IFATC upgrades your classification and so on.

2 Likes

for Radar Controller IRL, many picture and video shows that Radar Controller only have a circular screen which has dots representing aircrafts and many lines… what are those lines? where exactly is the airport? how do they vector aircrafts?image

1 Like

What’s the one command you wish we had?

2 Likes

IRL have you ever wished you could ‘ghost’ a plane? LOL j/k

2 Likes

@THE-OP how is the salary (doesn’t have to be specfic ) for a military ATC does it pay well something I’m considering a lot for a career choice.

1 Like

The screen is not circlular, what is circular are the mileage rings the controller associates with an area. That way the controller can acurrate ensure there is the required space between aircraft. The lines can represent numerous things. Such as extended centerlines to airports they service (approach control), airways, airspace boundaries, approach corridors and a multitude of other things. Most facilities will have a requirement for what must be on your screen, other than that, the controller is free to set it up as they like.

2 Likes

Yes I have. Let me know if you want to hear a funny story in which, if I was able to ghost a pilot, they would have been.

1 Like

The military’s pay scale is based on rank. NOT facility and ops count.

1 Like