[CLOSED] IFATC Practice @ KMSP - TS1

Come fly a few trips around the pattern in the Midwest! Feedback welcome!

2 Likes

Great work mate, have you already been in contact with a recruiter? :)

2 Likes

Hello Thomas,

You did it great!
One little thing, you only need to say one time make right traffic runway xx. You don’t need to say it every time. So if you clear me for take-off and you said make right traffic you don’t have to say the next time that I must make right traffic.

3 Likes

I just messaged a trainer to help me polish everything up. I’ve taken the IFATC practical test twice previously and just barely failed them both (for silly reasons… oops!) I just want to make sure I’m totally ready to go for my next test. Any advice?

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip! Is that something that may dock points on my practical test or is that more of a convenience thing?

1 Like

On the ground you told delta heavy to give way to the aircraft ahead? I’m assuming that was me? If so I was so far away it wasn’t necessary :)

On tower only one small thing I noticed was you Had one aircraft take off from 20R and make left traffic. That’s fine if your going to switch his or her runway to 20L but if you plan on keeping them left traffic on R with parallel ops it can be more difficult and I recommend not doing that. For an example I’d only have right traffic for 20R and left traffic for 20L. Keeps everything neat and tidy :)

I’m sure you’ll be fine in your next test. Goodluck :)

1 Like

The give way instruction was for a Grade 1 coming up behind you fast 😋 Just wanted to make sure. Can’t be too safe with the new guys. It’s no problem!

As for the left/right traffic, I had the faster jets on right traffic for 30R , but had a slower Cessna 208 on left traffic for 30R. Would you recommend simply switching the slower traffic to a new runway? As soon as I noticed the traffic patterns were crossing I wondered about that…

As for the runway switch, was I right about giving you a pattern instruction or should I skip that step and just give you a clearance?

1 Like

yes separating them on different runways would of been a good idea :)

You gave me a perfect runway change :) no issue there

2 Likes

Thanks a bunch! As I said, I just messaged a US trainer to help me polish things up (the recruiting page made it sound like I could only contact a local trainer, otherwise I’d ask for your help… you seem great!). Hopefully I’ll get in a session or two with the trainer soon and I’ll be ready to take the practical.

See you in the Expert server! :)

2 Likes

Definitely easier contacting someone local! :)

All our trainers are great at what they do :) so don’t worry I’m sure your in good hands.

And just to clarify for you as I jumped the gun, yes you must give a pattern entry for a runway change :)

1 Like

Okay perfect. One final question, I had a jet on right traffic for 30R and a jet (you) on left traffic for 30L. This was to ensure no one would overfly the airport, and to guarantee patterns would not intersect. However, with the introduction of the C208 into the patterns, what exactly would you have done in the situation to maintain safe distances between all aircraft? If I had him following the same patterns as the jets, there would have been a collision, but the only other option was to overfly the airport and possibly intersect the other pattern.

See originally you had both us jets on 20R which was great. However I requested a runway change purely to test your runway change… haha. You did great. However if you see this is conflicting traffic in the pattern then you could switch me back to 20R After I do a touch and go and switch the C172 completely onto 20L, therefore separating us as mentioned above. However some PICs can decline.

So you rely on keeping traffic on R doing right traffic and traffic on L doing left traffic so they don’t conflict… and insuring correct sequencing is givin… once you sequence aircraft you then should trust them to space appropriately and at there own discretion extending downwind or slowing down to keep that spacing. If you have sequenced correctly and cleared correctly then you have done your job.

Just remember to trust your pilots and dont over control :)

1 Like

Great advice. One of the things I always get concerned about Is whether or not I’ve said enough to the pilots so that they know how/when/where to fly, but I have to balance my level of control with the pilot’s duty to maintain safe flight. In TS1, most people can’t figure out that “number 2” does not mean “turn final and cut off the guy who I sequenced before you”. That’s part of why I can’t wait to run ATC in the Expert server… those pilots tend to use better logic and critical thinking.

Thanks again for all your help! You were awesome today. I hope to see you around… I know you’ll see me controlling!

1 Like

No worries mate :)
Enjoy your night!

1 Like

I’m sorry, I lied. I do have another question. The other guy in the jet commented above and mentioned that it’s not necessary to say “make right/left traffic” with every touch and go clearance. I asked him for clarification but he hasn’t gotten back to me… is it true that I only need to say right/left trafffic with the takeoff clearance (or first landing clearance, if my airport was not their departure airport)? Or is it something that should still be given with each touch and go clearance?

Yes no need to give them left or right traffic every time. Once is sufficient. However if you change there runway then you must give the left or right traffic command and/or you want to swap there direction from left downwind to right downwind or vice versa. But if there staying on the same runway doing the same traffic direction as last time then they are already aware of which direction to stay. so once is sufficient. I hope this clarifies it? Anymore questions ask your trainer or PM me. :)

1 Like

You’re the best! Have a good one

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.