[Closed] IFATC @ Home | Missoula, Montana (KMSO)

KMSO - Missoula, Montana International Airport

5a6290d8ae9b6.image

Hey guys! This Sunday, for the IFATC at Home event, I will be opening KMSO from 2020-04-12T14:00:00Z2020-04-12T16:00:00Z. There are several airports near my home (including KMSO, KBZN, KHLN, and KBTM), but I chose Missoula because it is a beautiful location, has many interesting route possibilities, and is often overlooked by our community. Below is some information about it. Hope to see many of you there!

About The Airport

Missoula is the second largest city in Montana. It sits in a beautiful valley that used to be a glacial lake. Missoula International Airport serves the city and surrounding area of northwestern Montana and sees almost 1 million passengers each year. A large amount of these come in the summer, when the area is a big tourist destination. It’s also a large general aviation hub and the base for Neptune Aviation, an aerial firefighting company that is famous for its use of BAe-146s!

Suggested routes

Commercial: Dispite its small size, Missoula sees a wide variety of airlines and routes. Here’s a full list from Wikipedia. Make sure to look up what aircraft to use on Flightaware to be realistic!

20200404_181953

General Aviation: Montana is an amazing place to do GA flying. Here are some of my favorite routes in and out of Missoula. Any GA (C172, TBM, XCub, etc) aircraft should be fine for these!

KGPI - 8S1 - KMSO

KMSO - 32S - 6S5

23S - KMSO

KMSO - RC0 - KDRU - U05 - 3U3 - KBTM

Procedures

Ground Chart:

Approach Charts: If runway 30 is in use (it should be), make sure to try the RNP, it’s tons of fun! Also, please don’t enter straight in🤦‍♂️

Instrument Approach Procedure - ILS Y RWY 12
Instrument Approach Procedure - ILS Z RWY 12
Instrument Approach Procedure - RNAV (RNP) RWY 30
Instrument Approach Procedure - RNAV (RNP) Z RWY 12
Instrument Approach Procedure - RNAV (GPS) Y RWY 12
Instrument Approach Procedure - RNAV (GPS)-D
Instrument Approach Procedure - VOR-A
Instrument Approach Procedure - VOR-B
Departure Procedure - DIDLY FIVE
Departure Procedure - MZULA FIVE

NOTAMS:

• Aircraft larger than a 767 will not be permitted at any time
  • All inbounds to runway 30 should enter via left base (per chart above)
  • Runway 8/26 is for GA aircraft only
  • Follow all ATC instructions or you could be ghosted.
  • Have fun and see you there!

6 Likes

@PlaneCrazy thanks for volunteering to open this airport! Fun fact I actually had plans to fly from here tomorrow so this was a total coincidence. Only been to MSO once but I loved it!

2 Likes

Awesome! Hope you can make it while I’m open!

1 Like

I’ll be sure to stop by for some patternwork!

2 Likes

I am inbound from DFW! Definitely hope to see you there!

1 Like

KMSO Tower, Ground, and ATIS are now open until 1600Z!

Runways in use: 30 and 26

Wind: 210 at 4kts

Pattern Work: Allowed!

NOTAMS:

• Aircraft larger than a 767 will not be permitted at any time
  • All inbounds to runway 30 should enter via left base (per chart above)
  • Runway 8/26 is for GA aircraft only
  • Follow all ATC instructions or you could be ghosted.

Hope to see many of you here. If you have any questions, please let me know!

1 Like

40 minutes until closing! Make sure to come experience this amazing airport for yourself before I do!

Thank you for the great ATC, unfortunately as you know my flight crashed but I had some great patterns!

1 Like

After over 2 hours of controlling, KMSO is closed. Thanks to everyone who came out for giving this awesome airport a shot, including @Jack_Q, @Lucas_Piedra, @Peter_S, @Sashaz55, @CaptainNoGear, @TranX, and everyone else! Have a great rest of your day:-)

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.