[CLOSED] ATC at PHOG on TS1

I’m heading over there right now(N202PC)

2 Likes

First of all… Sorry for the previous comment! My phone did weird things.

To your controlling: Overall great work, good overview and no major mistakes, I just have a few little things.

• I was held too long at the parking position and there was no need for me to hold position, as there was no aircraft in my area that I could have hit during pushback. Have a look on the actual airfield next time ;). There was grass between me and the passing plane

• The one incident, where you cleared me as number 2 and send me around when there was another aircraft on right downwind cutting in.
    Even though I think you know what you did wrong because you apologized :)

• And I’m not sure about that one, but you didn’t give me a direction after I requested for touch and go, which either meant you didn’t care what direction I would go (which would be totally fine, because I was the only one in the pattern at the rime) or you’re not completely familiar with that function.
    Make sure you always add “make xx traffic”, if planes remain in the pattern and there is more than one runway.

Apart from that, good job and good luck for your practical✌🏼️

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback! Yes, sequencing is something that I really need to practice. . I’ve actually watched all tutorials already and it looks quite easy and nicely explained. To do it right then when you’re new to the business is another subject. I’ll arrange more training sessions in the future. Takeoff instead of option? Rather landing I think, right?

Yeah that’s another thing. Sequencing was a little slow. Give that straight away after take off and you can’t go wrong.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your feedback! Yes, I should have cleared the prop as nr. 3, but I thought he could have made it before you due to his small pattern…yeah, didn’t work out :/ I’ve actually forgotten to give you the “make xx traffic” command, point for you on that.

1 Like

@PlaneCrazy thanks for your feedback!
Well I’ve chosen RWY 26 first because RWY 08 has a special RNAV approach IRL, so I thought this would be a more realistic way, but in the end this is a mobile flight sim, so yeah…
Then to the go-arounds and inbounds. Cleared for the option means, as far as I am concerned and as I’ve learnd it in a tutorial, that the pilot can freely choose between a full-stop, touch-and-go or go-around. Due to the fact that you were doing pattern work I’ve opted for the option clearence because it’s a quicker way to give you instructions and you don’t have to call another inbound. This saves time and is easier for the controller in case of a busy airport.

1 Like

What do you mean by this?

You were inbound for landing and either called or were issued a go-around? In that case, you certainly are expected to come back around for a landing.

If you called a go around after a touch and go to mean “I’m travelling around the field”, then you’re using the term incorrectly.

1 Like

Well, this is what I was doing, but I wasn’t necessary using the term incorrectly. When I am atc people say this when are doing touch & goes, and when I say that to other atcs they say “Roger, make right traffic to runway ##”

That pilots use this term in that fashion is true. That (hopefully) TS controllers also issue that response probably also true.

But I must stress, that is not the proper use of the phrase.

It does not mean “I’m in pattern and entering downwind”. It doesn’t mean “I’m coming in from the west and will land on runway 27”.

As a tower controller, Go Around means cancel your landing, fly runway heading and go back around for amother approach. Another sequence and landing/option clearance are needed.

Those other uses are patently incorrect uses.

3 Likes

I should also state that when someone says going around in the wrong context, replying with Roger simply reinforces to them that they’re using it correctly.

In the future, ask intentions if they’re inbound. If they’re in pattern, tell them to check help [though they won’t]. But don’t affirm an incorrect usage with Roger, make right traffic.

3 Likes

For general edification:

1 Like

Ok, so after I take off and am going to the other side of the runway to land, what should I say?

Nothing. If you request takeoff remaining in pattern, you don’t say anything.

You fly upwind-crosswind-downwind-base-final-repeat. On each circuit, the tower should sequence and clear you without you needing to say anything. You’re already in the pattern to land.

1 Like

Sorry if its a bit late, here’s feedback: (I was G-JOHN)

• Overall good, but needs polishing. I received some late clearances and sequencing was far too late.

• You handled runway changes ok - but using runway 26 meant my Vref of 80 dropped to 65 after turning final due to the tailwind, using 08 would have been preferable

• I was following N1TR on downwind purposely minimising separation. To counter this, you said “I’ll call your base” to him, but then sequenced me behind him, meaning I needed to follow him all the way.

• I will reiterate. SEQEUNCE AND CLEAR EARLIER! Often sequencing was when I was on downind or even base, you should be giving it to me the second I am airborne. At one point I retracted flaps to initiate to around as I was ~100 feet from threshold and then you gave me clearance.

Thanks for your feedback! Yes, sequencing duringnpattern work is where’ve got most trouble with. But the long downwind you’ve mentioned had a reason: I’ve had inbound traffic on RWY 26 and wanted to bring those in first, so I’ve instructed N1TR to extend downwind and sequenced you to follow him to ensure that there’s no conflict with the RWY 26 arrivals. There prabably would have a better way of execution but I thought it wasn’t the worst idea.

1 Like

Would have been better to call both our bases-mine after his as we were too close

If you can get touch and goes in first, obviously that’s what you want to do. They will be on and off the runway whereas the inbound will be slowing to exit. You don’t want the slowest runway clearance in front of the quicker ones if you can help it.

Ok, thanks for your help!

@Captain_Joel it turns out I was wrong, your atc job was perfect:-D

Hello guys, I’ve opened ATC again, this time at Kahului. Feel free to join, feedback is as always highly appreciated.

Conditions are quite thrilling: wind is 040@15G20

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.