Climbing rate

Hello everyone!I’m wondering the climbing rate of the aircrafts in real life.Thanks for your answers!😁

2 Likes

Hello!

The initial climb rate varies from plane to plane, and can change depending on it’s weight and thrust setting. However the rate is usually from 1900fpm to 3300fpm (with the latter number being with small jets, etc)

So for example, the A320 usually climbs out at ~2500fpm while 777s usually climb at 3000fpm; as I said earlier it all depends on your weight and thrust setting.

3 Likes

Thanks for your answers!

1 Like

You may also find this website useful

It’s EuroControl’s Aircraft Performance Database. You can search for various aircraft and discover their climb rates at different stages of flight. The link above is directly to the A320 page, as an example.

Hope it helps!

4 Likes

I know that b737 are usually climbing at+2200/2500 fpm!

1 Like

Thanks for your helps
@DavBarsco @Captain_Lufty

1 Like

Your welcome sir! With pleasure

1 Like

Hello there!

The climb rate of aircraft in real life can vary depending on several factors, such as the aircraft’s weight, altitude, air temperature, and weather conditions. Generally, the climb rate of commercial airliners can range from 1,000 to 4,000 feet per minute, while military jets and smaller private planes can have higher climb rates.

I hope this information helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

2 Likes

Thanks you so much!Good day sir!

When Im climbing in a B737 for example, I climb at a rate of 2200 FPM, which I find is a good rate of climb

1 Like

FPM isn’t a huge thing on departure, pitch angle is. Most takeoffs will have you with a power setting to safely maintain a 10°-15° pitch for climb out. This usually gets you around 1,800 to 2,500fpm, aircraft and conditions depending. But then again, an empty A330 will climb very slowly while lighter will climb like a rocket. So I wouldn’t try to shoot for a specific feet per minute, but I’d suggest a pitch angle of nothing less 10° nose up for a safe climb out. Hope this helps!

1 Like

I gave ChatGpt a homework assignment. Please grade ChatGpt if you have an opinion on how well it did:

ChatGpt’s homework results:

Sure, I can provide you with some estimated climb rate ranges and frequencies for the three categories of aircraft you mentioned. Please note that these are general estimates and can vary depending on the specific model and conditions of the aircraft. Also, please keep in mind that the climb rate can vary throughout different phases of flight.

Bottom-end general aviation aircraft:

• Band 1 (0-200 fpm): Likely during takeoff and initial climb
  • Band 2 (200-500 fpm): Likely during initial climb and climb to cruise altitude
  • Band 3 (500-800 fpm): Likely during climb to cruise altitude
  • Band 4 (800-1200 fpm): Unlikely but possible during climb to cruise altitude or during short periods of increased climb rate

Higher performance general aviation aircraft:

• Band 1 (0-500 fpm): Likely during takeoff and initial climb
  • Band 2 (500-1000 fpm): Likely during initial climb and climb to cruise altitude
  • Band 3 (1000-1500 fpm): Likely during climb to cruise altitude
  • Band 4 (1500-2500 fpm): Unlikely but possible during climb to cruise altitude or during short periods of increased climb rate

Business and commercial jet aircraft:

• Band 1 (0-1000 fpm): Likely during takeoff and initial climb
  • Band 2 (1000-2000 fpm): Likely during initial climb and climb to cruise altitude
  • Band 3 (2000-3000 fpm): Likely during climb to cruise altitude
  • Band 4 (3000-5000 fpm): Unlikely but possible during climb to cruise altitude or during short periods of increased climb rate

Please note that these are general estimates and can vary depending on the specific model and conditions of the aircraft.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.