Climbing Issues: Please Help!

Hello There! Today, I wanted to fly from EGLL to KLAX in the Delta Airlines A330-900neo. I had fuel for 12 hours and 30 minutes, 278 passengers and about 6,000 Kg of Cargo. Here is the issue I am having: I departed London Heathrow normally, and climbed at 2,500 feet per minute to 39,000 feet. My speed was set to Mach 0.82, but when I got above FL300 my plane kept stalling and there was nothing I could do. I tried to pull up, but that (of course) only made it worse. Then I tried pushing forward, but then I would literally fall from the sky. I left the Server, and tried again. The same thing happened. It might happen because the plane is overloaded, but the A330 CAN do this Flight, so… I am getting really frustrated because this was supposed to be my longest flight yet. If you know why this happens, please let me know. Thank you! 🙏

Device: Google Pixel 6A
Operating System: Android 14

1 Like

That’s probably the issue. Way too much for a heavily-loaded widebody.

3 Likes

Thank you, at how many feet per minute should I climb?

The first time I tried it, I climbed at 1,000 first, and then the plane kept slowing down. I decreased the climb rate all the way down to 100 feet per minute, but it kept slowing down and I ended up crashing.

Step climbing might be of great help. A heavily-loaded widebody can’t generate enough lift at their maximum cruising altitudes until they burn off some fuel.

2 Likes

I tried step climbing as well, I went up to 30,000 ft., after I noticed the plane stalling. I wanted to step climb first to FL320, then to FL350, then to FL390. But, it didn’t work.

You should watch your weight and the maximum flight level from this chart to avoid stalling aircraft

2 Likes

Thank you, I don’t really understand it though.

As everyone else before me said: #stepclimb

Getting now more specific, I’d like you to have a look at yesterday’s flight between EGLL and KLAX, performed by Delta’s N414DZ.

Let’s have a look at the speed and altitude graph provided by FR24:

As you can see, this is a perfect example of the so called “Step Climb” method used in real world procedures to improve fuel economy and efficiency.

The principle behind this is that a lighter aircraft can fly higher and therefore increase fuel efficiency (in time, not space) due to less air resistance (drag)

Approximately DL187 flew at FL340 until Iceland where it climbed to FL380, and finally reached FL400 over Canada.

If you have a look at the other graphs of other DL187 flights they all start at FL340 and subsequently climb through FL360, 380 and eventually FL400.

My suggestion is to fly at first at FL280, which for a fully loaded a330 is fine.
After that, every 10-20% of total weight lost you increase your altitude of 2’000 ft.

1 Like

Thank you!!!

1 Like

Hi there!

There are the most efficient altitudes for the A330-900, which means they’re pretty safe stalling wise. Above FL280, you really should be climbing around ~1000 FPM max.

3 Likes

Thank you, as well!!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.