Climb power settings

when I watch cockpit videos I notice after climbing to 1000 ft pilots on aircrafts such as the A350 can reduce throttle power from 90% N1 to maybe 70 or 60 percent and in IF I can only reduce it by maybe 5 percent and continue to climb to my cruise altitude at that particle thrust setting. Can someone explain to me if this can be done in the game or if it can only be done in actual aircraft?

5 Likes

The only reason pilots are able to do this is likely because of their weight and vertical speeds. Of course, if you pass 1000ft going 2800 fpm then the chance of reducing your thrust is low. On the flip side, if you are undergoing a shallower climb, you can reduce thrust easier.

Also note that weight of the aircraft will alter these abilities. A light A350 will climb a lot faster than a maximum load A350.

So yes, it’s completely possible to reduce your thrust after passing 1000ft, you just need to make sure that your aircraft is properly configured to do so.

5 Likes

Hello!

Great question. Typically airliners will utilize a power setting which is higher than the cruise setting to offer better initial climbout capabilities which are often necessary to get above obstacles, terrain, and quickly exit the terminal environment.

At ~1-2000ft above the airport’s elevation it’s standard to simultaneously lower the aircraft’s pitch and reduce the throttle to a climb power setting. The lowering of pitch allows you to accelerate, retract the flaps, and begin climbing at the desired speed (ex. 250kts). As a general statement you should lower to an N1 of 5-10% less than what was used for takeoff.

Note: High altitude, high weight, and demanding departure procedures may call for higher sustained power settings

Check out this tutorial which shows you how to depart and make your way to cruise! You’ll also see how I reduce the power, lower the nose, and accelerate after takeoff before climbing.

17 Likes

Just to add on to what the others have mentioned. In most 2-axis and above autopilots, on the actual plane they have speed mode which differs a bit from IF. (With some variances between aircraft systems) When speed more is selected the aircraft will maintain an indicated airspeed and adjust the vertical speed to keep the airspeed, hence how the airliners can set climb thrust and keep climbing (within reason). In IF to accomplish this you need to continuously adjust the vertical speed as you mentioned to accomplish this.

If you want to see this implemented through the autopilot or to read a bit more about it, check out this feature topic below!

2 Likes

Irl in most of the cases the autopilot decides the n1 for climb, cruise and descent. I’ve seen some 737s climbing at 85% N1 and a320s at around 89%
However if you’ve seen pilots reducing the throttle then it’s done to enable the autopilot control the speed (in Airbus)
I’ll try to find some pics if I can

Hi. Before takeoff you have to set the MCDU, for example for an A320:

There are charts to calculate V1, VR, V2 and FLEX T.O. TEMP. The flex temperature makes the FLEX takeoff thrust less powerful than TOGA. All of these are calculated to be able to reject takeoff at V1 and use less power as possible.
The THR RED/ACC are the altitude to reduced power and altitude to accelerate.
F, S and “O” (green dot) are speed to retract flaps, F 3 to 1+F or 2 to 1+F, S 1+F to 0. And green dot is when approaching, O 0 to 1, S 1 to 2, F 2 to 3/FULL.
So, when takeoff you set 50% N1 and FLEX (here 88.6 % N1):

MAN FLX 56° is displayed in PFD when the throttle is well set.

88.6% FLX in the E/WD.
When you reach THR RED altitude you reduce throttle to CL:

THR CLB is displayed in the PFD.

87.5% N1 CLB is displayed in the E/WD.
The climb thrust will be the same until cruising altitude is reached. The fact N1 will increase a bit as climbing until reach 91.5 % N1.
When the plane reaches ACC altitude, it accelerates to 250 kts and 300 kts by changing the pitch but maintaining the thrust. Remark: you can preselect an acceleration speed in the CLIMB page of the MCDU. You can set O SPEED (green dot) to have a hard climbing after takeoff (mountain).
The throttle keeps to CL until you are landing where you set it to idle when the plane says RETARD RETARD.
I fully chose a case with N1 takeoff less than N1 climb. How funny.
You’re 5% are good between takeoff and climb. On an Airbus you set the throttle to FLEX and reduce to CL. And yes it looks like to be 90% for FLEX and 60% for climb. But the auto thrust of the plane sets something like 89% takeoff and 86% climb.

5 Likes

Okay, but this is Infinite Flight not X-plane or MSFS. We do not have working FMC or FMS

Just an explanation about why the Airbus lever seems to be reduced from 90% to 60% after takeoff. X-Plane mobile can’t do that.

I liked knowing this information!

I understand now