Cleared alititude

In real life, an ATC will say to an aircraft - Cleared to 14,000 feet, cleared to wapypoint XXXXX cleared for takeoff runway XX
I think that would help IFATC controllers to help then make sure planes don’t crash and that they get the altitudes right.

Can you please add a little more to your post? Maybe a article about it or a picture?

1 Like

I dont really know what to add. Any article suggestions?

This can be done by handing over the aircraft to Departure, or will this work differently?

1 Like

This will be issued in the departure clearance - cleared for takeoff, climb to 6,000 feet.

Yes. However we can currently do the same by handing the aircraft over to Departure

1 Like

Really?! I had no idea

I believe controllers can, the wording isn’t “cleared to”
More like “climb and maintain 6,000ft”

2 Likes

Tower controllers can?

I don’t believe tower has the ability to say; climb to 6000

1 Like

I’m talking about airports without active departure

So if I understand correctly you’re proposing that the Tower ATC takeoff clearance is updated with the ability to add a waypoint and an altitude for that waypoint. Is that correct?

In real life Tower can give quite extensive takeoff clearance, such as ‘cleared for takeoff, turn left towards RANDM, altitude 3500 feet’ - something like that. My thoughts are that it will be hard to implement something like this into the menu driven system in IF.

Like the idea though…

1 Like

Yeah pretty much. Not to a too difficult extent, after it says the runway you can either press assign altitude or no altitude and then choose regular or immediate takeoff

So if you clear an aircraft for takeoff and give the pilot an altitude, how long should he stay at this altitude? At what point do you allow him to ‘resume own navigation’ and ‘altitude at your discretion’ (two instructions Tower currently doesn’t have).

In real life, the aircraft would be handed over to a radar controller, who would give the pilot new vectors and altitude. But in IF we don’t always have a departure frequency open…

2 Likes

When the controller feels necessary he or she can say altitude at your discretion

I think what you are getting at is like IFR departure clearances like the KCLT KILNS FOUR departure which vectors people a certain way for departure. I’m guessing you would want this to replace the taking off to the North, East, South, and West that we are used to?
@samdog27

1 Like

To some extent, although this would be in addition. This would not be a SID or a STAR like KILNS FOUR but just an altitude clearance.

1 Like

What would probably be better is something like telling an aircraft “Clear for takeoff runway XX climb to FLXXX”
Is that what you mean?

1 Like

I think the idea could be more of a ground or tower clearance. When a commercial flight leaves the gate, they know exactly what route/heading and altitude they’re taking unless amended by ground/tower etc. they get that in a predeparture clearance or PDC.

in IF with a SID-it could be:
JBU721 Cleared for taxi/Takeoff+climb via SID…
of course this requires some thinking and for pilots to grab charts etc.

With a heading it could be
JBU53 Taxi to/cleared takeoff runway 31L, fly heading 139, Maintain 5K

1 Like