Civil Air Patrol

Hello IFC. I am thinking of maybe joining the CAP Cadets. Does anyone have any advice? Are there some things that aren’t great?

4 Likes

Take notes, don’t be afraid to say “Excuse me im taking notes”.

1 Like

I’d recommend giving your 110% effort. What I mean by that is try to attend as many meetings as possible, go to squadron activities, keep your uniform in tip top shape, etc.

I will day though, it is military oriented, so you will be learning drill, and people will yell at you (sometimes). Whether you consider that bad or not is your own opinion.

Overall, I definitely recommend joining the program. You’ll learn a lot about aerospace, leadership, safety, and make a lot of new friends. Good luck!

6 Likes

Be ready for alot of commands and yelling and tests

CAP is a great thing to have on your resume for anything, especially anything aviation related. I highly recommend joining the program.

1 Like

Thanks a lot. I am debating because I don’t like military drill type stuff and I didn’t know what the deal was with it.

1 Like

CAP is an axillary of the US Air Force. It’s like the JROTC for the Air Force. If your not a military fan, I would suggest not joining. But if you are, it is one of the best experiences you can have when you are young and interested in flight.

I am a former Airman First Class with FL-040. Wayyy back in the day.

1 Like

If you’re going to join the military CAP is an alright route to go. If not join EAA Young eagles.

2 Likes

I’m a former Cadet Staff Sergeant for CAP. I can tell you if you find a squadron with a good leadership team that is committed to your goals, then I highly recommend it! You get learn about Air Force tradition, aerospace, participate in search and rescue trainings, and the best part, fly planes and gliders!

2 Likes

Yeah, drill is a huge part of CAP. I’d still try it, because you might like it! I wasn’t necessarily a fan of military drill, but now I’m one of the best in my squadron. It really depends on how dedicated you want to be.

1 Like

Also don’t be afraid to ask one of your fellow flight members for help! Everyone is there with one goal in mind, to work together as a team to help everyone succeed.

1 Like

Thanks again. Would it be good if I don’t want to be Air Force?

1 Like

My friend joined CAP a few months ago. He says it’s a big challenge, so believe in yourself and never give up!

1 Like

For sue! It teaches valuable leadership skills, which can be applied to all walks of life.

2 Likes

There is alot of drilling

1 Like

We have a family friend who is in the Civil Air Patrol let me ask him

1 Like

Hey!

I am Cadet First Lieutenant Hollman. I am in CAP. I could PM you with plenty of advice, if you would like. Thanks!

1 Like

I just joined CAP, so I have a lot of tips that I could tell you. Dont be afraid to PM me.

1 Like

Likewise, if you have any questions, you can PM me as well! I love helping people out. Welcome to CAP!

1 Like

It’ll definatly be worth it and make it easier to get a job with the airforce or commercial once you’re done with cap.

you also get to fly this
images%20(33)

If you don’t want to do drill remember there is other alternatives to Civil Air Patrol.