CityBird Airlines McDonnell Douglas MD-11

IMG_0584
(Photo Credits go to Aero Icarus)

About CityBird Airlines

CityBird was an airline founded in 1996, and based in Building 117D, Melsbroek Airport in Zaventem. The airline filed for bankruptcy in October 2001. Thomas Cook Airlines Belgium considered buying them out of bankruptcy, but later pulled out.
They flew a fleet of twelve aircraft including the Boeing 767-300ER, various Boeing 737 models (series -300, -400 and -800 aircraft), the Airbus A300-600R and the McDonnell Douglas MD-11. Over 50 European cities were served via Brussels. Citybird employed over 600 employees as of 2001 and was listed at NASDAQ Europe a.k.a. Eastdaq under the ticker symbol CBIR (CityBird holding SA) in November 1997. Though they had bought their first MD-11 in December 1996, they did not begin operations until March 1997.

Their planes offered a “Royal Eagle” business class, “Premium Flamingo” class (not on Newark flights), and “Colibri” economy class. They used the “point-to-point” approach to air travel rather than the “hub and spoke” wherein all transatlantic flights (from Los Angeles, Newark, Oakland, Miami, Orlando or Mexico City) went to Brussels Airport (BRU). All aircraft featured the airline’s tagline, “The Flying Dream.”

Credits go to Wikipedia

About the MD-11

The McDonnell Douglas MD-11 is an American three-engine medium- to long-range wide-body jet airliner, manufactured by McDonnell Douglas and, later, by Boeing Commercial Airplanes. Based on the DC-10, it features a stretched fuselage, increased wingspan with winglets, refined airfoils on the wing and smaller tailplane, new engines and increased use of composite materials. Two of its engines are mounted on underwing pylons and a third engine at the base of the vertical stabilizer. It also features a glass cockpit that decreases the flight deck crew to two from the three required on the DC-10 by eliminating the need for a flight engineer.

Some more information On the MD-11
Seating Capacity: 323 (2 class), 293 (3 Class)
Overall Length: 202 Ft with GE engines, 201 with PW engines
Typical Cruise Speed: 544 Mph (0.88 Mach)
Max Range: 6,840 nmi

My Opinion: With the up and coming MD-11 update, this aircraft would be a hit with Some IF members, tempting them to spend some money for this aircraft. I think many would fly these all over Europe and America.

(There is an older topic, but I think this one is more detailed IMO)

You can decide though.

Livery, looks cool. You may want to vote for your own feature so it has a higher chance being added!

Cheers!

That’s a wicked cool livery. I’d love to fly this

I don’t understand why would you make a new topic… just because you have something more to add doesn’t mean you need to create a new topic, copying and pasting the exact info and just adding the small bit of extra info; just comment it on the other topic if you wish… The other topic was completely fine and up to today’s standards…!

1 Like

WOW Thats a great livery

Oh yeah. After looking at the another request, I’m afraid this is a duplicate. You may want to contact a mod to shut this down. Other one has 11 votes.

1 Like

Wow I would live to fly this in Global 😱 It would be Lit

I flagged it don’t worry

1 Like