Choosing the runway

Hey guys! I hope everyone’s doing awesome.

So the other day I was wondering about something: In order to make my flights even more realistic, when landing or taking off a certain airport without ATC, is there a way to know which runways I should take off or land? (We all know ATC changes the runways every now and then depending on different factors).

Anws I know it’s quite an unusual question but as always thank you in advance!

Go onto FlightRadar24 and you can see, where the planes takeoff and land in real life. You can use these runways then.

4 Likes

Oh okay , i thought maybe there’s something in the game that can help, thank you for the help !

1 Like

Typically you should takeoff and land into a headwind: this helps to optimise low speed performance and give you more lift than you would in a tailwind 🙂

Usually the runways will be lit either red or green on the map (I think this works without ATC) to give you a clearer idea

3 Likes

Flight Radar is a great resource, another that someone in our VA suggested to check out was http://www.airportviewer.com/

It shows live traffic on the ground at most US major airports. believe they are expanding as they can for more airports as well.

3 Likes

Yes i always thought about that, so i understand the green one is where i should land/take off ?

1 Like

Unfortunately nothing in the game, and in fact the color coding of the runways in IF (which is automated based on wind) is frequently opposite what is being used in real life.

As @Beniamino mentioned FR24 (https://www.flightradar24.com/airport/atl) or FlightAware (https://flightaware.com/resources/airport/browse/) are your best bet.

2 Likes

Oh okay got it. Thanks for the help!

Remember to take note of airports that have certain restrictions related to one way in/one way out procedures. KASE, KSUN, etc. Those are just a few examples.

2 Likes

Green will be your best bet, but you can check the other resources for added realism.

One more thought - always try to match what other traffic in and around the airport are doing. If everyone is using 36R in IF, please do not go against traffic and try to land on the same runway in the opposite direction (18L) even if that is what is being used in real life. You can always request traffic advisories to be sure you know how other pilots are using the airfield.

1 Like

yes i always do that, i was referring to airports where there are no planes.

1 Like

You may want to look at FR24 data of replays of flights to/from the airport then.

1 Like

One easy trick if you are flying into a towered (in real life) US airport, but there is no IFATC, is to go onto Airnav AirNav KSFO and call the phone number listed for ATIS.
It is automatic, and similar to IFATC ATIS, but provides more information about runways in use, approaches, and weather reports.

Edit: airnav for SFO seems to only have AWOS, but LiveATC.net has the ATIS

2 Likes

If there are other planes at the airport don’t go against traffic, use the runways they are using even if it is not realistic. If there is no traffic, I personally would use Flightradar24 to see what runways are being used in real life.

1 Like

using Fpltoif.com linked with simbrief.com you can use auto on the runway and it will generate a flightplan with a runway and sid/star with those runways

1 Like

Thanks everyone, question has been answered 😊