Choosing a New Device

Hi there, IFC!
Currently, my IF setup isn’t ideal because I have to use my IPhone to run IF. Check out my setup here - How Can I Make my IF Setup Better?. I have decided to start saving up for a new tablet which I can use to run IF. I was wondering what the best quality TABLET I can purchase for a lower price that will run IF smoothly currently and in the future? Also, I would prefer that this tablet have compatibility with joysticks and throttles which I can buy at a later date and setup. I’m sure there are people out there who know way more than I do about this topic, and if you have a suggestion please let me know!! Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

This thread has some really good devices available. You can look for one in your price range via Google, and you could even Message the owner of a device to get their personal view on it. I hope this helped you in your search.

4 Likes

Ipad pro or the ipad 2018 edition. However you will have to use a computer to link up the joystick.

6 Likes

There are plenty of quality devices out there for all price ranges which can handle Infinite Flight well. Sadly technology is one of the areas where you get what you pay for. Whilst a cheaper device will run IF perfectly well you would notice a performance increase as you go up the scale. Check out this thread which outlines some of the best devices for IF, stick them into google and find one that matches your price bracket. That’s probably the best way. Device Compatibility Thread (19.1) - Built By Us For You!

Personally, I use the iPad 2018, runs infinite flight very well but can overheat a tad after sustained hand flying. Comes in around £285 now so a bargain if you ask me.

4 Likes

Definitely a DEAL!! I will definitely consider…

1 Like

iPad Pro 2018 would be best (as stated by @Matt), but an earlier iPad Pro works very well too!

Thanks so much for the advice, I think I will definitely look into that now!!

How about the iPad Mini 5 or iPad Air 3? Apples new mid-range devices all with the A12 chip!

1 Like

Definitely in contention thanks for the advice!

1 Like

I would recommend the iPad 2018. The Air in my opinion isn’t worth paying more for and the Pro is overkill, you may as well upgrade the iPad sooner in a few years and save your money, the Pro is like 4 times as much.

2 Likes

Yeah I was kinda leaning in the direction of the 330 dollar option because it’s all I need

1 Like

The iPad Air will last you much longer, so it has a better value

If it costs nearly double you simply buy the cheaper device and upgrade it sooner.

iPad Pro - lasts you 5 years £900
iPad 2018 - lasts you 3 £290

You will find that you can get a new iPad every 3 years and that will cost the price of a Pro, 5 years vs 9 years. Not accurate but the logic is the same

1 Like

The iPad Air is 499 and it also lasts 5 years

@Matt was talking about the just IPad, no the pro. The pro is arguably the best device to run IF since it runs circles around almost every other tablet avalable, but it also starts at $799 (USD). I’d agree that the IPad 2018 generic modle is a good choice. If you can splurge a bit more the Mini 5 and Air 3 have the latest chip set, and a gig more ram, you’ll notice it, and it will work better longer, but the 2018 generic models work plenty fine…

I did it’s not accurate.

In real terms they will all last the same amount of time mostly. Around 5 years. Paying more does not mean it lasts longer. Saving the £200 means in 5 years time you haven’t gone and spent £1000, instead around £500

1 Like

Sounds good to me I will most likely go with the regular iPad.

1 Like

I’d agree with that especially if budget is on you’re mind. If you have a little extra cash, and don’t mind the form factor, the Mini starts at $399 (USD), whare the 2018 starts at $329 (USD). Definitely an increase, but the Mini 5 has the A12 vs the A10, and it has a gigabyte more ram. Again, as I said you’ll notace it, it is certainly faster, but the 2018 is fine. The Mini is also in some ways built better, laminated screen, higher ppi, thinner, but also a smaller screen. I’d look into the IPad lineup before you guy anything, but if you want a fairly cheep good device get the 2018. (Just called “IPad” by Apple)

Thanks for the advice!!!

1 Like

My device runs smoothly with graphics all the way up. Never had a crash. Btw my device is an IPad or the fifth generation. My favorite part about is the perfect size