Choosing a Flight School

Absolutely amazing! Thank you for the detailed explanations. I’ll let you know if I have any questions.

I disagree with 141s being cheaper. It’s so highly regulated it’s pretty much planned out when you get your certificates and you’re forced to pay for the time that you fly until you achieve said certificate. You are unable to accelerate ahead, for example get an instrument rating from a part 61 and the rest from the university’s 141 program, that’s a big no-no. If I remember correctly, the only certificates you can achieve at a 61 if you are part of a 141 are your private and CFI.

1 Like

To get money thrown your way in aviation is extremely tough. Not impossible though. I had a 3.48 unweighted gpa and 6 AP classes with credits and a 1360 SAT, 25ACT and I got zero aviation money thrown my way. However, I got I to ERAU Daytona, UND, Ohio State, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign, and FIT as far as aviation schools are concerned.

Your best bet is to apply for grants. I got a good amount. If you are a minority (African American or Latino ) you will get a decent amount of money thrown your way. If you are a woman ever. More and if you are a woman of a minority background you will pretty much get a full ride and then some money for books thrown your way.

While ERAU is a decent school, when you weigh in the cost 200k in debt it’s not a wise choice. There are many schools cheaper and provide just as good quality of training without being in debt 200k.

To further break it down.
Go to ERAU 200k
Become an instructor 19-30k for a year.
Go to the regionals 32-50k a year.
How long do you think it will take you to pay that off with interest of say 5-8%.

Hopefully that helps :)

2 Likes

How about this?
I am very interested in taking up airline management as a career, but specializing in fleet management and route networking. I have gotten a full tour of those offices at Delta Airlines, which was pretty awesome.
However, one thing I was not able to conclude was what degree to pursue. Should I go after a MBA, something in economics, or specified airline management degrees like Embry-Riddle offers?
That is something I have to think about this year, as I choose colleges to apply to.

I would get a degree in aviation management maybe a minor in buisness. thats my opinion

Could I get a degree in aerospace engineering at MIT ( I hope) and then go to ATP or another school?

Awesome thank you for this info.
Do you know anything about ATP flight school? Or which college would you recommend for airline pilot?

Aside from cost, why wouldn’t you be able to do that? As you probably know, it is not a requirement by the airlines to have a degree in something aviation related. Studying something different leaves you options should you lose a medical, lose interest, or if something else goes downhill and you are not able to perform as a pilot anymore.

1 Like

ATP is a great option if you decide to get a degree in something non aviation related. Yes, it is quite costly but the benefit is that you will get all of your certificates in less than a year. It is no doubt a full time grind and I’ve heard mixed reviews, but I’ve heard of a lot who went through an accelerated flight school and are relatively successful in the cockpit today. Speed isn’t everything, some get by by the skin of their teeth and by the time that they’re at the airlines, they pay the piper when the stakes are high. My advice would to be to pay the piper now and have a good foundation that will carry you into the industry. Whether it be a part 61, 141 university, or an accelerated flight school, everyone eventually gets to the same place so in my opinion, it doesn’t really matter where you go, it’s what works best for you and your schedule and what will help you learn the most.

3 Likes

Nicely stated brother. Thank you so much.

Thanks you for those words, I appreciate it!

So, I’m theoretically planning on going to Montana State to get an Associates Degree in aviation (If I’m able to pass a class 1 ame). I’m probably doing that because it’s close to home, cheaper than out-of-state schools, and better than other in-state flight schools. Does this, by any chance, look like a bad school? If I got an associate’s degree, am I missing out on anything that a Bachelor’s would have? They offer a 4 year, but it’s combined with business, would that really give me any edge in the profession?

Course list:

http://catalog.montana.edu/undergraduate/gallatin-college/workforce-programs/aviation/

Description:

I guess my basic question is, is this a good option?

Well put and to echo Naro I would add ATP is not for someone who needs their hand to be held through the whole process.

I went through ATPs 90 day accelerated course and it was brutal. BRRRUTAAAL! It was like standing in front of a fire hose and getting drenched with info in very short period of time.
I got all my rating minus ppl in 88 days. Flews twice a day for 4 hrs. Spent an hour or so on ground “work” with the instructor and the rest was self study about 4 to 6 hours a day. I gave up my family and social life in those months. Spent my birthday doing holds and approaches. If you cant manage time and prioritize on your own you will fail out and ATP will have no problem kicking you out of the program.

Do I recommend ATP? 100% But it’s not for everyone. In my class only 3 out of 9 made it without any busts. 3 failed out. So definitely do your research on them. Each and every location has their pro and cons. So be mindful of that. The instructors are amazing for the most part but you will have the ones who only care about building flight time and not take the time to teach you every single thing. That’s were study habits come into play.

The point of ATP I to get you in and out with all the needed ratings in a short period of time and in my opinion, that’s what you ideally want. You want to finish fast and head to the regionals asap. Every month there’s an avg of two classes of 25 each. So do the math on how many people will be ahead of you in 4 years.

Hope that helps a little

1 Like

Choosing a school is your own priority and what you think makes a good school. What do you like about them, what did you not like about them. What does there fleet consist of? How many students to instructor ratio is there. Stuff like that. Personally I like small schools and one on one time as that’s the best way I learn but ultimately it’s your chose to what you want and like