Chicago Midway Tower closed

The tower at Chicago Midway was closed at 5 pm local time after three employees tested positive for COVID-19. It appears as though the airport is effectively operating on Unicom now. The FAA says it will continue to operate for the time bring though at a significantly reduced rate. Departing aircraft will then contact regional control at Chicago TRACON. I couldn’t immediately find any planned schedule for when or if they plan to re open.

10 Likes

That’s risky. Running a massive hub on unicom is all in the hands of the pilot’s integrities.

4 Likes

In fairness I couldn’t actually find a source that directly says it’s running on unicom, but the way the news articles describe it sounds an awful lot like Unicom

I don’t know if a topic like this is allowed due to the above rules but I may be wrong…

Is there a Unicom freq on liveATC.net?

1 Like

That says no topics directly about the virus. Though it says topics about the impact on airlines may be done if limited to one topic per airline, I feel as though we could consider MDW an airline, and as long as this stays the only one I think it’s fine. That’s how I read the rules at least. I suppose we’ll see if the moderators agree.

1 Like

Update: it is, tower on liveatc.net

1 Like

Oh okay but wow! Unicom!

airport closed most likely

2 Likes

All the articles I found says just operating at a significantly reduced rate.

1 Like

the only inbound plane is from mexico,

probably open to ga aircraft but not sure

correction: there’s also a southwest from Manchester inbound

1 Like

I would assume airlines are just choosing to cancel perhaps? Everything I see says it’s open…

1 Like

The tower is closed. Seems unprecedented.

Also looks like runways due to close in 2.5 hours.

2 Likes

Probably that. I could see a safety concern haha

Wow. Kudos to the pilots using CTAF safely in a busy airspace like KORD 👏

I thought Unicom wasn’t a term anymore. It’s CTAF now.

2 Likes

Again, maybe all my sources are wrong, but they all say open. FAA says there’s backup systems that are in use namely a Unicom like system, so still operating at a reduced rate

1 Like

You might be right, and Unicom or CTAF may not be what is in use, but all the descriptions I see sound a lot like that.

2 Likes

interesting thanks for the info :)

im waiting to see if these 2 inbounds planes are gonna be diverted or not

1 Like

Lol. I’m just being a perfectionist nerd, lol.

2 Likes

Yep. Looks like there all going to Chicago executive, so the Mexico one may have a customs issue???

Perhaps a diversion to Ohare?

2 Likes