Chicago Midway Tower closed

the only inbound plane is from mexico,

probably open to ga aircraft but not sure

correction: there’s also a southwest from Manchester inbound

1 Like

I would assume airlines are just choosing to cancel perhaps? Everything I see says it’s open…

1 Like

The tower is closed. Seems unprecedented.

Also looks like runways due to close in 2.5 hours.

2 Likes

Probably that. I could see a safety concern haha

Wow. Kudos to the pilots using CTAF safely in a busy airspace like KORD 👏

I thought Unicom wasn’t a term anymore. It’s CTAF now.

2 Likes

Again, maybe all my sources are wrong, but they all say open. FAA says there’s backup systems that are in use namely a Unicom like system, so still operating at a reduced rate

1 Like

You might be right, and Unicom or CTAF may not be what is in use, but all the descriptions I see sound a lot like that.

2 Likes

interesting thanks for the info :)

im waiting to see if these 2 inbounds planes are gonna be diverted or not

1 Like

Lol. I’m just being a perfectionist nerd, lol.

2 Likes

Yep. Looks like there all going to Chicago executive, so the Mexico one may have a customs issue???

Perhaps a diversion to Ohare?

2 Likes

Well I don’t think it will be that bad. Although, compared to what I see all the time at KLAX in IF. Well since there is still a ton of staff there and the people flying in and out of KMDW have eyes and are actually trained pilots, I think things will go ok, it’s not that difficult.

3 Likes

Well I don’t think there will be a crash. The FAA wouldn’t approve an unsafe practice, but the impact to airlines, namely Southwest is massive…

possibly yes

i’d love to see a southwest go into o hare

1 Like

Dare I say same, but they just have no infrastructure there.

1 Like

When we had our massive earthquake in 2019 pilots used unicom, everyone is taught to use unicom if you don’t know how to use it probably need go back to the basics.

3 Likes

Since a lot of small GA airports use it you may have never made it past the basics 😂

1 Like

UPDATE: to everyone asking about the status, yes, they are currently Unicom, according to the ATIS. The airspace has been reverted to class echo. Initially, they did continue flights. Now all inbound and outbounds are stopped, but technically, the airport is still open under class echo specifications

2 Likes

So I’m listening to atc audio and a GA plane plane just landed meanwhile some guy thinks he’s gonna be doing pattern work like who’s idea was that.

2 Likes

This sounds like a mess at the airport 😬

1 Like